How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MadMax

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

Sieper wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 23:21
British viewers shouldn’t be fed dribble from some hardcore fan just because they are British. That is unfair to them.
It happens in all sports. Watch tennis and if a Brit is playing then it's the second coming of Christ. Watch golf and a Brit doing well is treated like a king by British commentators. And in any international football tournament, the British home nations are front and centre of all of the coverage.

The simple fact is that, numerically, Hamilton is the most successful driver in F1 history. That's going to get attention from the media / commentators when they are British and serving a British audience.

If people don't like it, watch a different feed. There are many available for free on the internet.

Sieper

It doesn’t happen in any other sport. I watch tennis a lot. Never have I ever heared such allegations as the Zandvoort was on purpose from Toro Rosso like Ted did from any Tennis commentator.

I have no problem with fiercely rooting for the person you are fan off. I have a problem with the tin foil conspiracy being put out by an official reporter. It’s not the don’t like it don’t watch it too, his conspiracy makes/gains traction, makes that kind of people feel entitled to an non existing truth, their truth, but not actual truth.

It just wrong, factually and morally.

Big Tea

Sieper wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 02:08
It doesn’t happen in any other sport. I watch tennis a lot. Never have I ever heared such allegations as the Zandvoort was on purpose from Toro Rosso like Ted did from any Tennis commentator.

I have no problem with fiercely rooting for the person you are fan off. I have a problem with the tin foil conspiracy being put out by an official reporter. It’s not the don’t like it don’t watch it too, his conspiracy makes/gains traction, makes that kind of people feel entitled to an non existing truth, their truth, but not actual truth.

I have to ask, why watch Ted then? You know exactly what is going to be on, and it is not part of the race.
Its like tuning in to Hairy bikers or Drag race. You do it once and you know there are no bikes or racing, then avoid it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

Big Tea wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 02:40
Sieper wrote:

I have to ask, why watch Ted then? You know exactly what is going to be on, and it is not part of the race.
Its like tuning in to Hairy bikers or Drag race. You do it once and you know there are no bikes or racing, then avoid it.
He's part of the pre-race and post-race shows and also often part of the in-session team too. Like they'll do a segment where he's in the pitlane and talk to him. It's where crofty's "2 seconds Ted" line comes from

Big Tea

organic wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 02:49
Big Tea wrote:
Sieper wrote:

He's part of the pre-race and post-race shows and also often part of the in-session team too. Like they'll do a segment where he's in the pitlane and talk to him. It's where crofty's "2 seconds Ted" line comes from
But not when he is doing his talks. He does pass 'snippets' from the pit lane or the latest tyre news etc, but it is not his own unscripted quips. I no longer watch his 'notes', but what he passes on to the commentary team usually sounds useful and race related (or qualli related) His notebooks are after the main coverage.

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 23:21
British viewers shouldn’t be fed dribble from some hardcore fan just because they are British. That is unfair to them.
So what else do you want them to talk about? Motorspot coverage is 95% idle talk.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Big Tea wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Sieper's a hardcore Sky fan and very British without even knowing it. Lol. He hangs around to watch Ted's notebook. You won't catch me waste an hour watching Ted tootle around the paddock in his squishy sandals. Lol.

Sieper you need to turn off the TV after the trophies are given out. That will solve your problem.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 03:22
Big Tea wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Sieper's a hardcore Sky fan and very British without even knowing it. Lol. He hangs around to watch Ted's notebook. You won't catch me waste an hour watching Ted tootle around the paddock in his squishy sandals. Lol.

Sieper you need to turn off the TV after the trophies are given out. That will solve your problem.
I think there is no reason not to watch it, but you know what to expect if you have seen any of them.
I used to watch it, but no longer do as I know what it is going to be. I am not discouraging anyone else from watching, but know what to expect if you do and dont let it annoy you

mendis

MadMax wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 01:13
mendis wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 11:28
MadMax wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 10:31

It's not a theoretical definition of "British". It's a legal one. A Scot, like an Englishman and a Welshman, will have "British" in their passport. A Scotsman is British until Scotland secedes from the Union. At that point, Scotland can call its citizens whatever it/they want. Until that point, they are British.

As for a Scot not being interested in a fellow British racing driver, well that's life.
But when I pay to watch a content on the only choice I have, I would feel cheated to be provided a biased content that wouldn't be suiting my sensibilities. Best case, I would expect a more neutral content from my provider and not a highly opininated one.
As the song goes: "cry me a river".

There are ways to get F1 which avoid Sky's commentary if one is that worried about it. If they don't care enough to make that effort then...m'eh.
That sounded great last year. Are you talking about legal ways or illegal ways?

mendis

Big Tea wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 19:30
mendis wrote:
MadMax wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 10:31

It's not a theoretical definition of "British". It's a legal one. A Scot, like an Englishman and a Welshman, will have "British" in their passport. A Scotsman is British until Scotland secedes from the Union. At that point, Scotland can call its citizens whatever it/they want. Until that point, they are British.

As for a Scot not being interested in a fellow British racing driver, well that's life.
But when I pay to watch a content on the only choice I have, I would feel cheated to be provided a biased content that wouldn't be suiting my sensibilities. Best case, I would expect a more neutral content from my provider and not a highly opininated one.
But it is intended for British viewers, so the same applies in reverse. Other countries have their own teams, if yours does not that is not the fault of Sky UK, it is the fault of either the sky service you get or the viewers of that country not requiring it. If it was profitable for them to put it on they would.

BTW, comparing it with almost any other sport it is very neutral, and also compared to commentary broadcast in other countries. I watched from Spain many times and the only driver was Alonso, except all the other cars deliberately getting in his way
Intended for British viewers (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland) is not the same as, "we would sing great pions of an English driver that we want and you listen, even if you don't like as this is what we have committed to FIA". I already said in an earlier post, it would be unwise to assume all people living in UK have the same affiliation that Sky F1 assumes.

Sieper

Big Tea wrote:
Sieper wrote:

I have to say then, for the umpteenth time, that I have stopped watching him years ago. That doesn’t stop the most vile dribble leaking through out in the open where I am still confronted with it.

Mosin123

mendis wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 10:54
MadMax wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 01:13
mendis wrote:
As the song goes: "cry me a river".

There are ways to get F1 which avoid Sky's commentary if one is that worried about it. If they don't care enough to make that effort then...m'eh.
That sounded great last year. Are you talking about legal ways or illegal ways?
i listen to five live ( radio - bbc ) and watch skys coverage with out sound, i do tune in for Teds Notebook though, he gives some great insight some times.

It dont really matter though, Most media companys are only interested in providing for the majority eg you will always see more / hear more of Max / LH / CL / Lando / Alonso than any other driver because they are the most popular drivers, Same with football teams, you hear mostly about Liverpool and United than Chelsea and Man city because they are the bigger clubs, regardless of if they are winning or not, appealing to the biggest crowd brings the most viewers / subscribers, the more viewers the more money from adverts they get for you watching them.

I doubt Max / LH and so on was talk of the locals at the Mexico GP for instance.... it would have been all Perez with brief moments for the rest.

Big Tea

Sieper wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 11:36
Big Tea wrote:
Sieper wrote:

I have to say then, for the umpteenth time, that I have stopped watching him years ago. That doesn’t stop the most vile dribble leaking through out in the open where I am still confronted with it.
I really hate East Enders on tv, but I have to keep watching it so I know what to complain about.

Chuckjr

Crofty needs to stop saying someones is going to pull the “ol’ swicharoo”. It’s really frickin’ old. #-o
Watching F1 since 1986.

GSBellew

mendis wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 10:58
Big Tea wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 19:30
mendis wrote:
But it is intended for British viewers, so the same applies in reverse. Other countries have their own teams, if yours does not that is not the fault of Sky UK, it is the fault of either the sky service you get or the viewers of that country not requiring it. If it was profitable for them to put it on they would.

BTW, comparing it with almost any other sport it is very neutral, and also compared to commentary broadcast in other countries. I watched from Spain many times and the only driver was Alonso, except all the other cars deliberately getting in his way
Intended for British viewers (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland) is not the same as, "we would sing great pions of an English driver that we want and you listen, even if you don't like as this is what we have committed to FIA". I already said in an earlier post, it would be unwise to assume all people living in UK have the same affiliation that Sky F1 assumes.
Except Ireland is not British.

Yes I'm well aware of the antiquated outdated term British Isles, however even when the entire island of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom it was referenced separately, ie the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland.

Great Britain being England Scotland and Wales, they are British, the Ireland bit was and still is Irish.

Its now the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, note how the Irish bit still remains separately referenced from the three British bits which are still lumped in together.

The Sky coverage is supposed to be for The UK and Ireland, as Sky bought the Irish broadcast rights which were separate to the UK rights, I have a Sky Ireland subscription & grow tired of the pro english driver bias, but you get used to it I guess.
Last edited by GSBellew on 13 Nov 2022, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.