2023 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2023 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 17 - 19

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 23:29
Alonso says that RB and Ferrari are in another league on race pace:
Alonso: "I didn't think I could get this result. Being competitive here fills us with energy. At race pace, Ferrari and Red Bull are in another league. Max will come. The fight is in our mirrors. It's tempting to think about victory, but Red Bull is unreachable"
AMR23 is like F1-75, excellent in corners but losing time on straights, which is not a bad thing overall. That's not what you need in Jeddah of course, especially since RB raised the bar on low drag even further, I think they'll run this same RW in Monza easy. Too bad Ferrari deployment on back straight didn't show in explicit numbers how much they gained in drag reduction :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 23:29
AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 23:25
dialtone wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 22:57

Changing topic huh?
No, I'm unaware that he broke his car.

For what it's worth, someone says below you that he might have hit the wall. This was not reported in my Sky stream or anywhere so naturally I didn't consider it.

Is there something else you saw to conclude this?
That was just a comment I put there, worded awkwardly perhaps, I had no intention to say it was his fault. On the other hand you are changing topic on the 0.5s ahead from Max despite the ample evidence, also present last year by the way, when on pole was Checo.
For your first point, I understand. That was a critical misunderstanding :wink:

For your second point, I didn't have anything else to add. I said everything that I thought in my first post. I understand if you don't agree.

organic

Looking forward to the race far more than I thought I would. RB should sabotage Max every weekend

carisi2k

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 23:23
carisi2k wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 22:58
AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 22:50

Now he broke his car :lol:.

Like Leclerc did last race right? :wink:
Actually he did as it looks like he gave a wall a touch with his rear tyre which is probably what has caused the driveshaft failure.
This would actually be a better scenario for RB. To know that Max actually caused it...Is there any footage?

The alternative is they have some deep rooted issues with this gear train.
Not directly but I think we saw the aftermath with that oversteer moment he had the lap before and then when he went through the same corner he got high on the exit kerb and as the car came off it is when it broke.

We know he has been having issues with downshifts but I don't think this is a deep problem with the gearbox.

organic

carisi2k wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 01:25
AR3-GP wrote:
carisi2k wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 22:58

Actually he did as it looks like he gave a wall a touch with his rear tyre which is probably what has caused the driveshaft failure.
This would actually be a better scenario for RB. To know that Max actually caused it...Is there any footage?

The alternative is they have some deep rooted issues with this gear train.
Not directly but I think we saw the aftermath with that oversteer moment he had the lap before and then when he went through the same corner he got high on the exit kerb and as the car came off it is when it broke.

We know he has been having issues with downshifts but I don't think this is a deep problem with the gearbox.
Gearbox issue was solved overnight by swapping gearbox. downshifts were problem in fp1/2 because same gearbox as bahrain where they had very bad issues with gear shifts (but advantage was enough to hide it)

kediown

organic wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 01:21
Looking forward to the race far more than I thought I would. RB should sabotage Max every weekend
Tactics played by RB to keep Max excited in Formula 1

AR3-GP

kediown wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 01:42
organic wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 01:21
Tactics played by RB to keep Max excited in Formula 1
To make sure their car shows up on the television this time :lol:
Last edited by AR3-GP on 19 Mar 2023, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

vorticism

carisi2k wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 01:25

Radio from the moment:

𓄀

chrisc90

Haha, yeah. True! Although if were going to play those games I’d at least make sure had a good points margin.

For sure I’d love the challenge I’d had that sort of position.

Alo_Fan

SchuMassa wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 20:53
harty71 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 19:58

Was he though, let's remember he barely beat Bottas, the man that's getting all he can handle against Zhou.
Yup. He only got pole on 2021 because Max crashed while on a monster lap and Mercedes was much quicker at that point in the championship. Now he´s 7th again.....

Alonso also was pretty underwhelming today. Stroll is clearly not 100% prepared yet but he was the only one threatening Perez, despite only having one set of tyres for Q3
Were we watching the same thing today?
Alonso beat Stroll in all Qualifying sessions. His absolute best S2 & S3 times were superior to Stroll's, even though Stroll indeed gained on him in S1. Better tyre warm-up could've contributed to that (it was Stroll's second flying lap on that set, while Nando only had one on both sets).
Yeah, I agree. If Fernando could have had another run on those tyres, I think he could have found a couple more tenths like Stroll. But P3 was really the max.

Chuckjr

Outstanding quali. First time I’ve yelled at the tv in years. Excited about tomorrow. Let’s see how quickly Max can pass the field and catch the rabbit. Max to P1 by mid-race w/o a safety car? Wouldn’t be surprised.

The W14 is over Hamilton’s head. He can’t extract speed from a slow car. I’ve been saying that about him his entire career. It’s yet another reason why George is doing better. George will continue to spank Lewis because George can extract speed from $hitty cars. If this continues, I think Lewis retires. When he realizes the long road to the sharp end, and that he can’t beat his teammate when/if Merc get there, it will be a quick exit stage left. The end.

The Stroll will out-quali Fred prediction some made is down 0-2, and yes the beatings will continue. I’ve no idea why anyone thinks Stroll will beat Fred in any capacity. 🤦‍♂️ In fact, I think papa Stroll may rid of Fred by years end once he realizes his son has no chance of winning a championship with Fred in the sister car.

Nice showing from Alpine, but nothing more than a side show to what’s happening at the sharp end.

Disappointed in Norris, but mistakes happen. I’m sure he was trying to pre-empt the car pushing, but the Macca held, and he mis-judged it. Bummer. Nice showing from Piastri. Well done for a rookie.

Wow.
Ferrari.
What is happening to this team? Ffs.
I don’t think the cars assets are being fully exploited, tbh. I feel like Ferrari is still very unsure of how to set up the car best— only race 2, so to be expected...I guess? AM and RB sure don’t have that problem...🤔 Do better Ferrari. There is more speed in that car.

It’s a shame Shaal is going back ten positions, but it puts big daddy Fred on the front row, so I’m ok with it. I’m really disappointed in Sainz. Come on man. HALF a friggin’ second behind Shaal is unacceptable. The car has far more speed than Sainz is extracting. Time to step it up Sainz. You’re not good enough atm and like Ferrari, you need to do better.

REALLY looking forward to the race tomorrow. Fred has the opportunity to lift the car past normal ability and pull out that last percent only the legendary drivers can find. With good strategy, Fred could beat Checo.

Can Sky Sports please dispense with Damon Hill? He’s a TERRIBLE commentator.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Hammerfist

Alo_Fan wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 01:53
SchuMassa wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:

Yup. He only got pole on 2021 because Max crashed while on a monster lap and Mercedes was much quicker at that point in the championship. Now he´s 7th again.....

Alonso also was pretty underwhelming today. Stroll is clearly not 100% prepared yet but he was the only one threatening Perez, despite only having one set of tyres for Q3
Alonso beat Stroll in all Qualifying sessions. His absolute best S2 & S3 times were superior to Stroll's, even though Stroll indeed gained on him in S1. Better tyre warm-up could've contributed to that (it was Stroll's second flying lap on that set, while Nando only had one on both sets).
Yeah, I agree. If Fernando could have had another run on those tyres, I think he could have found a couple more tenths like Stroll. But P3 was really the max.
Yeah I mean, Stroll is not in Alonso's league in any shape of form. I have no idea what these people are watching.

zoroastar

SchuMassa wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:
harty71 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 19:58

Was he though, let's remember he barely beat Bottas, the man that's getting all he can handle against Zhou.

would have been nice to see what a tow down the main strait would have done to his lap time. i dont guess hes comfotable enough to ask the owners son to do that yet haha. alonso got as much as can be expected out of the car.
Last edited by zoroastar on 19 Mar 2023, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

Gillian

Hammerfist wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 05:35
Alo_Fan wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 01:53
SchuMassa wrote:

Yeah I mean, Stroll is not in Alonso's league in any shape of form. I have no idea what these people are watching.
Ofcourse Stroll is not in the same league. And that's why Arthur says Alonso was underwhelming yesterday. Could have gotten more out of the car if you see what Stroll did.

etusch

CaribouBread wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 20:31
Congrats to Perez. Ferrari running the PU in tractor mode almost all sessions is quite intriguing. Good job by Piastri hope he gets a full race this weekend. Really interested in seeing Stroll's telemetry from the last lap. He was closely matching Perez then gave up 6 tenths in the final sector.
Maybe he used most of the battery power at first 2 sectors by pushing overtake button and left nothing to 3d sector. They have clear engine deficit compared to Redbull and Ferrari