Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kilcoo316

Re: Renault R29

ISLAMATRON wrote:Woah! this is big time... what about the step plane rule? This looks like the entry of a venturi tunnel
The floor doesn't have to be flat everywhere.

Otherwise you'd have a shadow plate right the way to the front wing...

I'm not sure of the locations of the rule 'boxes' though.

imightbewrong

I think its just an optical illusion, it is a cutout in the horizontal plane. So it is not higher in the vertical plane. It has (as far as I can tell) pretty much the same look as it had at the start of the season.

ISLAMATRON

No optical illusion at all see...
but I guess wee seen it before

and it blends into the step plane very soon after the front of the sidepod

vasia

The floor shape and cut at the front of the sidepods has not really changed. That is in-fact an optical illusion.

ISLAMATRON

vasia wrote:The floor shape and cut at the front of the sidepods has not really changed. That is in-fact an optical illusion.

HA hA you got me... yep they just only extended the sidepod inlets down to the floor

kilcoo316

Ta-da.

Same here at China...

And yes, they are looking to move the stagnation point up a bit to get more air under the floor than they otherwise would... With the local accelerations, they may see some useful localised very low pressure zones around the front & bottom of the sidepod/floor leading edge.

Britain Smith

ISLAMATRON wrote:No optical illusion at all see...
but I guess wee seen it before

and it blends into the step plane very soon after the front of the sidepod
There they go walking around with the floor again.

-Britain

ISLAMATRON

that is the same pic from Monaco

vasia

Metar

With all the press diffusers have been getting, seems like a smart thing to put a sponsor next to it. :P

Timomies

Metar wrote:With all the press diffusers have been getting, seems like a smart thing to put a sponsor next to it. :P
Yeah, I said it already when the season started. I saw AirAsia sticker in some many pics back then. It was in their rear wing. :)

ISLAMATRON

What car is this?

Scotracer

It's an amalgam of R28 front wing, R29 engine cover...but the chassis? It's an R25. I'm sure of it.

Mystery solved, Watson...
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

majicmeow

It looks like the R28 launch spec wing...

I agree though, the chassis does look like an R25... mostly... :wtf: Did the R25 come with the chimneys and shark gills at launch, or were they mid season add-ons?

Metar

Unlikely, I know, but could this be an ex-Piquet writeoff R29? Smooth bodywork and sharkfin, after all... But then why bother adding the flipups? :?

It's not an R25, though. The R25's sidepods were more sculpted, and had the chimneys at launch: http://www.f1-fansite.com/Wallpaper/200 ... 3-1600.jpg