Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo

Re: Renault R29

Metar wrote:That's... bigger? I'm getting lost with all the pictures of diffusers. :P
Seems like it is to me.

modbaraban

Shaddock wrote:V keel chassis, few years old now
Definitely R25 with 2009 spec wings.

tadzio89

timbo wrote:
Metar wrote:That's... bigger? I'm getting lost with all the pictures of diffusers. :P
Seems like it is to me.
isn't it similar to Ferrari's one now?

kilcoo316

zgred wrote:Image
Substantially bigger looking to me.

Could be worth quite a bit of time... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

mike

is that extruding exhausts to you??? or just me?

kilcoo316

mike wrote:is that extruding exhausts to you??? or just me?
It looks like caps on the exhausts...

Paul

Great place for CD-adapco advertising. They know where all the technical guys are looking. :lol:

ISLAMATRON

ringo

gurney flaps, that's what they did in 3 weeks?
For Sure!!

zgred

roost89

zgred wrote:Image
They've got some very deep sidepods. They've 'joined' the wee inlet to the main one.

Which gets me thinking. Why is their one so deep and the RBR one so small?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

timbo

roost89 wrote:Which gets me thinking. Why is their one so deep and the RBR one so small?
Yep, haven't think of that, but since they dropped KERS I think they could probably use smaller inlets.

hulmerist

great pace by alonso today, where on earth did they find that from?

fastest lap

vasia

hulmerist wrote:great pace by alonso today, where on earth did they find that from?

fastest lap
Not sure that is entirely due to the car as much as it may have been due to the weather conditions and nature of the track. Nurburgring is not a totally representative circuit unlike Spain; if you do well here that does not mean you are likely to do well at other tracks.

We shall see in Hungary though, if they manage a strong race there then the car has definitely improved.

ISLAMATRON

fastest lap? a 1.33.365? that is nothing to boast about... it would have only netted him P6 in Q3 if he actually got there.

Please put these type of numbers in context... to get a fast lap you need to have a clear track at the right time(seeing that you usually have fresh tires at the same time as having a heavy fuel load), not many cars get that in the race, usually only the leader and a car who is far whoever is in front of them. The leaders dont usually push too hard after they have already made a gap. Fast laps are not representative and really not that big a deal.

All that said, the renault seems to have moved forward relative to the field with Alonso setting a great Q1 time even though he was blocked by a clueless Glock. But he threw away a chance at a podium with that Q2 spin.