[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

yinlad wrote:
24 May 2023, 20:14
It shouldn't really matter. Only half the car is simulated so whatever the output of the cooling is, doubling it is correct so you should be ok. As far as I can work out
It is strange, but when you have a measuring surface that is in the nomansland of symmetry, OF simply reports random numbers.

BlakjeKaas wrote:
25 May 2023, 15:32
BlakjeKaas wrote:
21 May 2023, 22:11
Amazing to see all these cars popping up today, looks like we will be having a great competition again this year!

I've only been able to create a very primitive design so far, but have some trouble to run it through MFlow.
MFlow states that a build has not been created, but a "runCase.sh" does appear in the map.
I've tried running "runCase" within OpenFOAM, but to be able to make that work I had to change every instance of "mpirun" to "mpiexec" within the runCase-file.
After this, OpenFOAM does seem to do its thing, but it runs into errors during the process.
OpenFOAM crashes after not being able to find a PatchField entry for the RHS heat exchanger, even though both the heat exchanger bodies and heat exchanger planes are in the right corresponding folders:

--> FOAM Warning :
--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR: (openfoam-2106)
Cannot find patchField entry for none_to_hx_right

I'll try some troubleshooting in the coming weeks, hopefully I will be able to create a working car this season! :)
I was able to run a simulation in OPENFoam after running the "runCase.sh" via the terminal.
However, any surfaces (cooling, exhaust, but not the engine inlet) that I use, crash the OPENFoam solver with the "patchField"-error described above.
Any tips on how to make these surfaces work?

I'm using MantiumFlow - Windows - V2305b with OPENFoam 2106 (the latest one which is supported I believe).
Oh good, easy fix, use OF 5.0 for this championship.

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
25 May 2023, 14:01
https://i.imgur.com/khlNKSZ.png

Can I suggest extending this regulation surface inwards to give a bit more room around the headrest area? There's a 5mm gap at best between surface and reg box at the moment.
I agree, a hit more clearance (10mm instead of 5mm) between external and jnternal template would not change anything technically, but it would make the modeling easier (for who uses analytical CAD, also cleaner).

beschadigunc

Almost a relaunch was needed due to my cooling error (explained in the page 12 mostly). Here it is the challenger that will make the basis for the race 2 vehicle. (Race 1 DNF due to cooling I assume).

LVDH

beschadigunc wrote:
28 May 2023, 00:43
Almost a relaunch was needed due to my cooling error (explained in the page 12 mostly). Here it is the challenger that will make the basis for the race 2 vehicle. (Race 1 DNF due to cooling I assume).
It sure looks good.

A short update on the race:
I have all the cars checked an simulations are running. But they are far behind the planned schedule, as I was a bit slow and there were also issues with the simulations.
And to top off these issues, I had quite a setback with the rendering as well. I can almost imagine that not everything will be done until next weekend. I guess as soon as everything is done, results will get posted, no need to wait until the following Sunday, as I bet you all want to see how you all did.

What I have been able to do, is release modified CAD parts. These address almost all requests you guys had.

beschadigunc

LVDH wrote:
28 May 2023, 10:41
beschadigunc wrote:
28 May 2023, 00:43
It sure looks good.
-

What I have been able to do, is release modified CAD parts. These address almost all requests you guys had.
I hope this version performs too in my current simulations it barely gets enough cooling 😀. Then I can finally focus on performance

Do you mean new front and rear suspensions ? That didnt make it are back ?

LVDH

Taking the current delays into account, I think to have fixed everything apart from the suspension parts. I mark modified sections in rule updates, so you can always easily see what changed.

But for the aerodynamic suspension parts of your dreams, you will have to wait for Monza...

G-raph

New parts look good, thanks!

Can you please confirm that they will only be used from Race 02 onwards and that you have kept the old parts for Race 01?

BlueCheetah66

G-raph wrote:
28 May 2023, 23:35

Can you please confirm that they will only be used from Race 02 onwards and that you have kept the old parts for Race 01?
I assume so as the gearbox could protrude through some peoples floors. Also I think there may need to be another change to the Vehiclebody RV as the new gearbox sticks out of it. Might not cause a problem to people, but to keep it clean it would probably be better to fix that.

LVDH

G-raph wrote:

Yes, of coarse. You can read the email about race 1 once more. The emails always specify, which version of rules and CAD files are used for a race. Usually, I will also never introduce new rules, new CAD files or a new version of MFlow two weeks ahead of a race.

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
29 May 2023, 00:05
I assume so as the gearbox could protrude through some peoples floors. Also I think there may need to be another change to the Vehiclebody RV as the new gearbox sticks out of it. Might not cause a problem to people, but to keep it clean it would probably be better to fix that.
Really??? ](*,)

beschadigunc

LVDH wrote:
29 May 2023, 08:39
G-raph wrote:

Yes, of coarse. You can read the email about race 1 once more. The emails always specify, which version of rules and CAD files are used for a race. Usually, I will also never introduce new rules, new CAD files or a new version of MFlow two weeks ahead of a race.

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
Really??? ](*,)
Btw I have been getting stuck after the simulation ends while its writing the .foam file . Simulation takes about 8 hours to run from mesh to end iteration but the writing takes additional 3 hours is it normal ?

CAEdevice

beschadigunc wrote:
30 May 2023, 17:39
LVDH wrote:
29 May 2023, 08:39
G-raph wrote:

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
Really??? ](*,)
Btw I have been getting stuck after the simulation ends while its writing the .foam file . Simulation takes about 8 hours to run from mesh to end iteration but the writing takes additional 3 hours is it normal ?
it depends on the hardware, but +3h looks too much. Do you have enough free space on your SSD?

beschadigunc

CAEdevice wrote:
30 May 2023, 18:29

it depends on the hardware, but +3h looks too much. Do you have enough free space on your SSD?
I have a 20 core setup with 128 gig ram and enough space in SSD , this has started after the mantiums last release ( using it in windows)

CAEdevice

beschadigunc wrote:
30 May 2023, 18:42
CAEdevice wrote:
30 May 2023, 18:29

I have a 20 core setup with 128 gig ram and enough space in SSD , this has started after the mantiums last release ( using it in windows)
I am using only the Linux release, I am sorry but I can't help you...

yinlad

any particular reason for the gearbox change by the way?
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

yinlad wrote:
30 May 2023, 20:20
any particular reason for the gearbox change by the way?
I do not remember the actual reason. I think the one we have is a bit fat. And after having seen the MERC and RB floor during the Monaco weekend, I think the new one is a bit more realistic. I just have to give you also the updated volume around it. I hope to get to that tomorrow.