Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

beelsebob wrote:They can't be the exhausts, they break this rule:
The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
(part of 5.8.3)
Yes that is the exhaust, they point up and inward. But expect the exhaust to change.

sAx
sAx

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

thestig84 wrote:
sAx wrote:
thestig84 wrote:Well it looks like my person got the intakes right again and nose being similar. Also see why he didnt have too much else to say...looks similar but very nice. Good job Mclaren
Don't quite see the aggressive design philosophy hinted at or areas that will raise questions around legality. Maybe that is to be played out during testing next week.

It looks nice, but....?

sAx
Everything I heard pointed at conservative evolution but people like to get carried away. If your referring to the removed autosport aggressive design/legality story I think that was a dudd quote and should be ignored.
Certainly would like to understand chassis design to maximise mass flow to claw back downforce and yet meet nose height restriction from new regs. Comparing Gascoyne's CT-01 which may not actually be a useful comparator, MP4-27 looks very conservative (at this stage).

sAx
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

jamesalexw

"Exhaust" panel is removeable so likely a dummy.

Engine cover is also a dummy as the hole at back is sealed.

If the exhaust is real it could possibly be using a venturi effect??

beelsebob

Gridlock wrote:
beelsebob wrote:They can't be the exhausts, they break this rule:
The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
(part of 5.8.3)
Does "normal" mean perpendicular then? Because I don't see how they do unless it does - I take it to mean the exit must have one face only, no shaping.
It means that it's normal vector (a vector perpendicular to the plane) must be parallel to the direction of the tailpipe axis. It's the "lie on a single plane" part that it seems to violate though – unless it's an optical illusion, it seems to curve over the surface there.

Giblet

Could this be a lateral rethink of the 'octopus' exhaust?

I thought the pipe had to be exposed.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Joie de vivre

Last edited by Joie de vivre on 01 Feb 2012, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

ajdavison2

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

Is it just me or do the sidepods look even fatter than the 26 towards the rear? :wtf: :wtf:

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ledzep4pm

Much more rake that initially last year.

I hope they can tighten up the rear packaging before the first race. Im expecting a lot of that car to change.

I have a theory on the exhausts. McLaren think another team is doing something similar, but less extreme. They launch an extreme version, FIA quickly move to ban it using a technical directive. The other team looses there advantage ?

What do you reckon?
Twitter @ledzep4pm

Crucial_Xtreme

I agree, I believe we've been sold a dummy on many things. Below is a HUGE picture of the MP4-27.

http://twitpic.com/8eb64c/full

Gridlock

Cup-holders for the rear wheel men during pitstops. Nothing else makes sense.

Definitely more rake, even in obvious "we made this out of balsa" form as seen here.

Pull-rod rear end.

Very square inlets, aren't they?

Afterburner

DOn't know why but something tells me this isn't the final nose...

beelsebob

Gridlock wrote:And what's this?

I'm wondering if they're using the front wing f-duct idea to push air through to the splitter somehow.