2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

bhallg2k wrote:
n smikle wrote:[...]

Don't forget the alternator RedBull! :lol:
Hasn't Singapore also seen a few weird engine/transmission abnormalities due to the subway system that runs under the track?
Yeah, it is the electro-magnetic interference. In 2009 McLaren couldn't get their kers working properly b/c of it.
#AeroFrodo

Gerhard Berger

rssh wrote:This look more promising like a RB track because they have good traction and braking but the Mclaren are close to challenge for pole position . Ferrari is a good car but I still think that it lack traction compared to the above 2 teams but Alonso is on form so you never know .
Don't think traction is a problem anymore. Ferrari were strong in Canada, Hockenheim and Monza, and it is difficult to be strong in these places without good traction.

Ferrari also have a big update package for Singapore, their biggest since Barcelona.

Gerhard Berger

raymondu999 wrote:
n smikle wrote:@ Ray, why you pick Valencia which is pretty high speed?).
IMO two very similar track layouts, and comparing each year's Valencia and Singapore qualifying results of the same year generally support that. Similar corners, etc?

With no offthrottle to set up here I expect gear choice to be very crucial. Maintaining the engine in higher rpms could lead to quicker laptimes given the additional exhaust downforce obtained, however little.
Valencia is close, but i think Monaco is closer, particular in terms of the track surface and length of straights.

NathanOlder

Yeah I agree that Monaco is closer. there it was only 3 tenths covering the top 5 in Qualy and Schumacher was quickest. Ferrari were the slowest of the top 5 teams.

Away from that, Which car out of the top 5 teams do you think has improved the most since Monaco ?

Talking about traditionally Red Bull being good at these types of tracks the RedBull was a massive half second down (Vettel) on the Mclaren and in Webbers hands didnt make it past Q2 in Hungary and that is very much a Red Bull track of late. Mr vettel said today Spa and Monza dont suit his car, Hungary didnt either!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Lorenzo_Bandini

Ferrari was the slowest in the quali, but in the race it was the fastest.

I think we will see Red Bull in front with Mclaren, i don't know about Ferrari, the mechanical grip is good, same for traction because the car was fast at Monaco, Valencia, Canada, Monza, but Ferrari will have a very big upgrade so we will see.

Anyway, i think it will be a Red Bull and Mclaren fight.

I can't see a good result for Mercedes with the current car, the car destroy rear tyres way too much, this weekend, after Q3, the rear tyres of Schumacher was already quite damage... I know they will have a bip upgrade too, but i don't think it will work, it's just a feeling but this team fail race after race and i don't think this trend will stop, unfortunately for both drivers.

raymondu999

Gerhard Berger wrote:Valencia is close, but i think Monaco is closer, particular in terms of the track surface and length of straights.
NathanOlder wrote:Yeah I agree that Monaco is closer.
I disagree. Monaco has slow corners, but a lot of them are LONG and slow, where the ability to carry speed through a slow corner is important. Similar to Hungary. The slow corners in Singapore are all short and sharp, and there is really nowhere near the same emphasis on carrying speed through the corner, as there is in getting the car turned, and getting on the power/brakes.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

I can see your point, I just feel Valencia has too many faster corners, so i feel IMO that monaco is closer. Either way it doesnt matter.

What does matter is, Monaco, Hungary or Valencia the top teams for outright speed were

--------------Monaco---------Valencia---------- Hungary----------------Total
Mclaren ---+0.282-----------+0.324--------------pole----------------- +0.606
Red Bull ----+0.080-----------pole-----------------+0.463-------------- +0.543
Ferrari-------+0.647----------+0.621---------------+0.891--------------+2.159
Lotus--------+0.338----------+0.419---------------+0.413---------------+1.170
Mercedes-----pole-------------+0.537--------------+0.942---------------+1.479

So with the 3 tracks we all think are most similar, it looks like a straight fight for pole to be between Mclaren & Red Bull (Vettel & Hamilton) with potentially quite a few cars between these 2 guys and Fernando. And Its not the easiest place to overtake (although fernando is more than capable of doing this, his luck is slowly getting worse)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Lorenzo_Bandini

I don't understand why you choose the quali gap to say one car is faster than others, can you explain me ?

For me one car could be slow in quali, and fast in the race, especially the case of Ferrari this year

raymondu999

The race is affected by too many factors - cars cruising, different strategy, traffic, problem etc. The only "reliable" statistic of pure pace is qualifying - then we can compare it to Singapore qualifying. Doesn't mean too much for the race, but it's something, at least.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

Spot on, Its the only form guide I could think up. Singapore , (like the other 3 tracks listed here) is a tough one to overtake, so the teams true race pace may be null and void if they have a bad qualifying session. So qualifying is mightily important
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

SamH123

Do we know what tires Pirelli are bringing or has it not been announced yet?

beelsebob

Qual:
1. VET
2. RAI
3. WEB

Race:
1. RAI
2. VET
3. HAM

Ozan

SamH123 wrote:Do we know what tires Pirelli are bringing or has it not been announced yet?
Supersoft+Soft

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:Qual:
1. VET
2. RAI
3. WEB

Race:
1. RAI
2. VET
3. HAM
You're tipping Alonso to be off the podium for only the 2nd Singaporean GP then? It's an interesting choice - and considering the way the points table is showing I wouldn't mind Alonso non-scoring, or at least not on the podium! :lol:

I think your race prediction could be close - but everyone moves up a place (i.e., I'm tipping a VET victory, HAM 2nd and RAI 3rd) - though the battle for 2nd and 3rd I think will be touch and go, with Lewis having track position but wilting tyres, to the charging kind-on-tyres Lotus
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ParanoiD

gonna be attending this one :)

bought premier walkabout ticket and got an upgrade to fanstand at pitstraight.

But thinking about selling it if anyone interested.
Ay Carumba!