2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Websta wrote:Or does Singapore still have hot track temp despite being at night?
Still hot, and very humid.
turbof1 wrote:there is alot more space to take corners wider and thus carry more speed through it
I don't know the exact dimensions of corners and their radii at both circuits, but I am quite sure (based on my experiences to both circuits) that this isn't true. I could be wrong though. The eye has a way with deceiving people when it comes to dimensions and measurement.
Mika1 wrote:McLaren will bring new updates to Singapore, Sam Michael said that earlier this season.
Pretty much everyone brings a specific package for Singapore IMO. It's just a little bit down on Monaco on downforce stakes (ie you pretty much run a Monaco package, minus a bit of downforce & drag)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

If I recall correctly last year the cars were geared super short, topping out at like 175mph down the main straight, which is right in line with the speed the cars have coming out of the tunnel, so yes downforce is very important particularly because it's a bumpy street circuit. The car that makes the most downforce at 120-180kph will win this race, hands down. It could be a good place for Lotus to use the device, that is if it's main function is to increase downforce. Also the fact that they're using the soft and supersoft means that saving tires will be essential come the race, and despite what many think, passing is possible here. Trouble is the approach off line from the back straight is incredibly bumpy and makes the move all the more difficult to achieve. I hope they have two different DRS zones, this race could surely use it, preferably along the main and back straights
Saishū kōnā

FrukostScones

The track temp in Singapore is never that high because the race takes place at night. It is usally about 2 degrees warmer than ait temp. Last year it was 31-33 when air temp was 30-31.
I would love to see a wet race! (Or is it too dangerous?)
Supersoft could hurt Raikkonen. (I blame his Monaco and Montreal performance on the Supersoft, legit or not :D )
If nothing strange happens I expect ALO,HAM,VET,GRO to fight for the win. But maybe we see surprises. Or a shock winner, and I don't mean Perez.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Mika1

Pretty much everyone brings a specific package for Singapore IMO. It's just a little bit down on Monaco on downforce stakes (ie you pretty much run a Monaco package, minus a bit of downforce & drag)
Maybe, maybe not 8) . We will see.
I would love to see a wet race! (Or is it too dangerous?)
Too dangerous, the rain will reflect the light.
Last edited by Mika1 on 10 Sep 2012, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Ral
Ral

Lotus have said on several occasions that they won't be running their device in Singapore. First time they expect to run it is Suzuka, barring more drowned FP sessions.

otbsti

beelsebob wrote:Judging by Monaco, McLaren don't stand a chance of having a good package around here.
McLaren's big updates came after Monaco, so I don't think that Monaco is a clear indicator of the cars current pace/capabilities.
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

beelsebob

otbsti wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Judging by Monaco, McLaren don't stand a chance of having a good package around here.
McLaren's big updates came after Monaco, so I don't think that Monaco is a clear indicator of the cars current pace/capabilities.
While that's true, and it might be that they've improved that department significantly, I don't hold out much hope – the reason I used Monaco as an example was because even relative to their old car, it was a poor race, which suggests rather that something about the overall design just does not like traction zone, stop start type tracks.

We'll see though :)

NathanOlder

beelsebob wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I got a feeling McLaren will be stronger then Red bull. Hungary also was a typical Red Bull circuit last year, but that changed too. It also seems that the last couple of upgrade put McLaren with head and shoulders above everybody else
Judging by Monaco, McLaren don't stand a chance of having a good package around here.

True, But judging by Silverstone, Mclaren dont have a chance round Spa :D
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zyphro

Websta wrote:
Could Mercedes be strong here? They have good traction and the lower track temperatures should suit them ? Or does Singapore still have hot track temp despite being at night?
It'll rest on the upgrade package they bring. They're set to test the coanda exhausts; which should help them here.

Brawn: "We think that's quite significant in low speed traction".

beelsebob

NathanOlder wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I got a feeling McLaren will be stronger then Red bull. Hungary also was a typical Red Bull circuit last year, but that changed too. It also seems that the last couple of upgrade put McLaren with head and shoulders above everybody else
Judging by Monaco, McLaren don't stand a chance of having a good package around here.

True, But judging by Silverstone, Mclaren dont have a chance round Spa :D
Only if Spa was wet.

NathanOlder

Both Races were dry ? Mclaren made no progress at Silverstone, Spa untouchable
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Shrieker

I don't think Monaco is the most similar track to Singapore to be perfectly honest. Plenty of room to take wide sweeping lines in Singapore, whereas in Monaco it simply isn't possible. I think there is no track on the calendar that can be compared with Monaco. It's a unique place, so imho logical conclusions from that race (qualy) would not really be accurate. And when you factor in other things like upgrades and stuff it's anybody's guess. FWIW, I think McLaren and Red Bull will go head to head here, and Ferrari will join the party if their upgrades work to a certain extent out of the box.

Long story short; I have no idea who'll come out on top :mrgreen:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

beelsebob

I guess the other vaguely similar ish circuit that we've had *since* various upgrades has been Hungary. That would seem to suggest this'll be a straight McLaren/Lotus slug out, with RBR just hanging on to their coat tails.

raymondu999

Still don't think they're similar. The corners in Singapore are "sharper" than those in Hungary, and you'd need a stronger front at Singapore than you do at Hungary, and probably better braking and traction. Conversely in Hungary the amount of lateral you can carry through those corners are more crucial.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FoxHound

raymondu999 wrote:Still don't think they're similar. The corners in Singapore are "sharper" than those in Hungary, and you'd need a stronger front at Singapore than you do at Hungary, and probably better braking and traction. Conversely in Hungary the amount of lateral you can carry through those corners are more crucial.
Agree the tracks are different. Seems like Singapore is more point and squirt than Hungary which has less corners and more flowing nature.
For me the track surface and temps at night will also be a factor that is far different to that of the Hungaroring.
JET set