2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Chuckjr

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Alonso was beaming with confidence all Monza weekend. Seeing how excited he was for a third place finish communicated to me at least that he knows the vast update coming to Singapore will be all he needs to finish top 3 every race left if not outright win a number more thus giving him a strong shot at the WDC. I think he will do very well in Singapore and should take the win. I don't sense anywhere near this sort of confidence from Vettle, Hammy, or Kimi.
Watching F1 since 1986.

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Still don't think they're similar. The corners in Singapore are "sharper" than those in Hungary, and you'd need a stronger front at Singapore than you do at Hungary, and probably better braking and traction. Conversely in Hungary the amount of lateral you can carry through those corners are more crucial.
Agreed, I'm just scraping around for some evidence for how this race may go. My best guess is Lotus should be strong here, but I'm really not sure about anyone else.

Anothere possible comparison point would be Valencia, but that includes the much higher downforce last sector, and again was before McLaren's big upgrade.

beelsebob

Chuckjr wrote:Alonso was beaming with confidence all Monza weekend. Seeing how excited he was for a third place finish communicated to me at least that he knows the vast update coming to Singapore will be all he needs to finish top 3 every race left if not outright win a number more thus giving him a strong shot at the WDC. I think he will do very well in Singapore and should take the win. I don't sense anywhere near this sort of confidence from Vettle, Hammy, or Kimi.
I'm not sure about that – Alonso tends to tell you when he's confident in that way. Remember in 2010 when he said "we will win the championship" away back in silverstone, and everyone laughed at him? He knew more than everyone else, and he was *damn* near right.

NathanOlder

Surely it doesnt matter what updates you have, Its never garenteed pace. Plus everyone else is likely bringing updates.
On the high downforce tracks Monaco, Hungary, Valencia Ferrari's Qualifying pace have been over 0.6 off the pace. Can they improve their car by 7 tenths from hungary to now? Even if they did, the chances are Mclaren RedBull can find 2-3 tenths to put ferrari behind yet again ???
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

beelsebob

NathanOlder wrote:Surely it doesnt matter what updates you have, Its never garenteed pace. Plus everyone else is likely bringing updates.
Well, that assumes that everyone's upgrades are equal. I think we can all agree that McLaren have found rather more in recent upgrades than other teams.
On the high downforce tracks Monaco, Hungary, Valencia Ferrari's Qualifying pace have been over 0.6 off the pace. Can they improve their car by 7 tenths from hungary to now? Even if they did, the chances are Mclaren RedBull can find 2-3 tenths to put ferrari behind yet again ???
Agreed, I'd tend to agree that Ferrari won't be up there really unless they've found a lot. Lotus I think will be though, and I can see RBR being there too.

NathanOlder

Yeah spot on, So mclaren 1-2 followed by a mix of Lotus & Red Bull. Fernando down in 8th behing those 6 and Michael. [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

beelsebob

NathanOlder wrote:Yeah spot on, So mclaren 1-2 followed by a mix of Lotus & Red Bull. Fernando down in 8th behing those 6 and Michael. [-o<
I'm not totally convinced by the "McLaren 1-2" part – I think lotus may be very close. I suspect we may have something similar to hungary on our hands – McLaren qualify better, and Lotus can't get past on superior race pace.

froggy

I dont agree. ALO is always competitive here, even with sub-par cars.

FoxHound

Dark horses for this venue?
JET set

Gerhard Berger

beelsebob wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:Alonso was beaming with confidence all Monza weekend. Seeing how excited he was for a third place finish communicated to me at least that he knows the vast update coming to Singapore will be all he needs to finish top 3 every race left if not outright win a number more thus giving him a strong shot at the WDC. I think he will do very well in Singapore and should take the win. I don't sense anywhere near this sort of confidence from Vettle, Hammy, or Kimi.
I'm not sure about that – Alonso tends to tell you when he's confident in that way. Remember in 2010 when he said "we will win the championship" away back in silverstone, and everyone laughed at him? He knew more than everyone else, and he was *damn* near right.
To be fair, he never actually said " we will win the championship". I can't remember the exact quote, but it was more to the effect of "i'm more confident of winning the championship than i was before the race started".

Though to be fair, after the championship had finished, he said he only really believed he could win it after Korea.

Still i think it is quite rare that Alonso talks up the upgrades of the car so much. Even after Mugello, he seemed to downplay the updates for Barcelona.

NathanOlder

Im sure Alonso said he was going to win the championship in 2010, but he said in in the middle of the season.

Someone else remember this ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

zyphro

NathanOlder wrote:Im sure Alonso said he was going to win the championship in 2010, but he said in in the middle of the season.

After Silverstone, yes.

beelsebob

NathanOlder wrote:Im sure Alonso said he was going to win the championship in 2010, but he said in in the middle of the season.

Yep, I remember exactly that – the commentators all scoffed at it, and were all rather eating their words when it came to abu dhabi.

NathanOlder

Zyphro & Beelsebob =D>

Thanks guys, thought i was the only one.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

beelsebob

NathanOlder wrote:Zyphro & Beelsebob =D>

Thanks guys, thought i was the only one.
I did say exactly that just a little up thread :P