Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient
Coefficient

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

beelsebob wrote:
Nando wrote:thanks for the pictures!

Why does the exhaust look like it splits?

I think the above portion is the actual exhaust tip but what is that below? headers?
and the piece to the right, it´s probably bodywork but at first i thought that was a piece of the exhaust as well.
Adrian Newey said after the race while interviewed with sky that it was part of the exhaust, and had a big crease in it. They fully expected the exhaust to crack, and set the car on fire.

I'm not sure what the bit highlighted on the right is – probably a clip to hold the bodywork onto the floor?
its the tunnel liner isn't it?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

beelsebob
beelsebob

Coefficient wrote:its the tunnel liner isn't it?
I could totally buy that, yes.
Why would thermal runaway be a problem, given than the part in question is exposed to MORE cooling airflow/rain water/general cold and dampness than it would be if enclosed in heat resistant material?
Because the exhaust pipe would end up with a crazy ass eddy in there, causing higher pressure, and higher temperatures around the bend.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

What's eddy?

Not eddy currents I'm assuming lol.

Intego

beelsebob wrote:Because the exhaust pipe would end up with a crazy ass eddy in there, causing higher pressure, and higher temperatures around the bend.
You mean this guy? :lol:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

gandharva

The exhaust looks completely malformed and out of shape.

turbof1

I think its actually the exhaust chamber that took the biggest hit. The actual exhaust (you can clearly see its the one leading up to the ramp) seems more or less fine.

EDIT: looked a page back and people do seem to wonder what the piece is.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/11/24/an ... -exhausts/
(look for the ferrari exhaust chamber; same principle)

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... /1018.html
(the left red arrow are actually pointing wrong, pointing at the exhaust instead)

Crucially that bit malfunctioning (as in not doing what is designed to do, but for the rest not hurting the car) isn't that a danger for the car; it'll only mean a bit of downforce loss when off throttle, though of course as hot gasses are actually accumulated in it (I dare say that means the temperature is actually higher then at the exhaust exit), its structure still needs to be able to cope with the heat.
#AeroFrodo

aral
aral

turbof1 wrote:I think its actually the exhaust chamber that took the biggest hit. The actual exhaust (you can clearly see its the one leading up to the ramp) seems more or less fine.

EDIT: looked a page back and people do seem to wonder what the piece is.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/11/24/an ... -exhausts/
(look for the ferrari exhaust chamber; same principle)

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... /1018.html
(the left red arrow are actually pointing wrong, pointing at the exhaust instead)

Crucially that bit malfunctioning (as in not doing what is designed to do, but for the rest not hurting the car) isn't that a danger for the car; it'll only mean a bit of downforce loss when off throttle, though of course as hot gasses are actually accumulated in it (I dare say that means the temperature is actually higher then at the exhaust exit), its structure still needs to be able to cope with the heat.
Completely the wrong position for the resonance chamber. It is the final exhaust outlet that normally feeds the exit ramp. It has been pushed down. Also note the bluing. It is surprising that the bodywork did not catch fire, but Newey says they turned down the power to reduce heat.

turbof1

It was wet the complete race. The spray constantly cooled it down. It does help that the spray is redirected by the the airflow over and around the ramp into the now opened bodywork. The wet race also meant having the power turned down isn't going to hurt you as bad concerning pace. Would have happened this in a dry race, he would never be able to keep driving. Either the bodywork would indeed have catched fire, or he would had to crank the power that much down that he could not compete anymore.
It is ironic: Alonso prayed for rain, but ultimately it saved Vettel.

You might be right about the exit ramp. Jumped a bit too soon to conclusions.
#AeroFrodo

Shrieker

sAx wrote:Image

Just came across this, how fine the line between success and despair!
How on earth did the suspension parts hold up ? How did the wheel/rim not get bent ? Even the tyre did not deflate. The stars were truly aligned.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

turbof1

Rear suspension always is much stronger then front suspension luckily. And one should not forget the aerodynamic pressure these tyres have to endure. Another car swinging over it with its tyre isn't as likely to delfate it. The biggest luck of all is that Senna at that point already lost his front wing. That would certainly have cut into the tyre. Also truly amazing that nobody ran into him after that.
#AeroFrodo

Shrieker

I saw a higher res version somewhere else (can't find it now damn); you could clearly see the bottom of the tyre getting squashed to the ground by the rim ! Having said that, realistically, a Vettel dnf at that point would certainly not have secured Alonso the title. Butterfly effect and all. The rest of the race most certainly would've unfolded a lot differently :wink:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

This high res shot shows how mangled the tyre was and further damage to the floor. Did he not even pit after that?

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 6153.8.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Nando
Nando

scrub marks.

Tire will compress then regain previous shape.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Nando wrote:scrub marks.

Tire will compress then regain previous shape.
Lucky not to lose pressure though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

agungn51

Kiril Varbanov wrote:VET was lucky not to retire, due to thermal runaway of those exhaust pipes. This really shows the great mechanical abilities of the car, as opposed to the great aero work, which was, well, asymmetrical at best this time :)

Congratulations, RB8 - made it to the Hall of Fame.
Another pic

how big is the effect of disturbed exhaust gas flow in one pipe ?

" Many inventors achieve great success, because they treat inventing like a serious busines - Inventing is often the easy part; the trick is to know what needs to be invented "