2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
hairy

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

zeph wrote: So my beef here is the suggestion that Alonso leads merely because of the others' misfortune, as it is really just another way of discrediting his near-perfect performance ALL year.
I think even a casual observer would note one of a few things regarding Alonso's championship in 2012:
1. He has not been in the best car at most circuits
2. He has had incredibly good reliability
3. He has outperformed the car at most races.

I think if we applied the same logic to Hamilton, we'd have:
1. He's been exceptionally quick most of the year in a car that has been consistently quick most of the year.
2. He's had incredible misfortune and very poor reliability
3. He is the quickest driver out there currently.

I think if Mclaren had the reliability of the Ferrari, Hamilton would be in the lead in the WDC.

That's not taking anything away from Alonso, as he has been exceptional. However, make no mistakes, if the Mclaren was reliable, and his team consistent through the year, he'd be in the lead.

All that said, I think it it building up to be a great finale to the season, the last 6 races, as Mclaren have more updates to an already quick car, Button has found some pace, Vettel is hungry for #3, Hamilton #2, I believe the driver situation is sorted with Hamilton (and Button will act like wing man), and Lotus have some big upgrades coming. Should be fun.

I also can't see Alonso going the whole season without a mechanical DNF.

raymondu999

hairy wrote:I think if Mclaren had the reliability of the Ferrari, Hamilton would be in the lead in the WDC.
I don't think you can ever just say that. Time spent making the car quicker is time not spent making the car more robust.
I also can't see Alonso going the whole season without a mechanical DNF.
He did last year. The last mechanical DNF to memory is Malaysia 2010 (engine kaput). But I can't see him going 50 races without a mech DNF (I think he's on 48 now)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

zeph wrote:So my beef here is the suggestion that Alonso leads merely because of the others' misfortune, as it is really just another way of discrediting his near-perfect performance ALL year.
An alternative way to look at it would be that the suggestion that Alonso leads not due to others' misfortune is really just another way of discrediting Hamilton's near-perfect performance ALL year.

rodi

beelsebob wrote:
zeph wrote:So my beef here is the suggestion that Alonso leads merely because of the others' misfortune, as it is really just another way of discrediting his near-perfect performance ALL year.
An alternative way to look at it would be that the suggestion that Alonso leads not due to others' misfortune is really just another way of discrediting Hamilton's near-perfect performance ALL year.
I totally agree. He performed the best qualy session ever in 2012 (see http://www.rodibasso.wordpress.com). I think he grew up a lot compared to previous years as person and as driver and deserves the title...
rodibasso

zeph

beelsebob wrote:
Now you're just grasping, Bob. As you well know, I said:
beelsebob wrote:
zeph wrote:I am a fan and hope he bags his third WDC this year, but I do agree that Hamilton should be leading the championship right now. Save the mindless defensive move on Maldonado, he has been flawless this year.
I'd agree on both points - I wouldn't mind Alonso or Hamilton winning this year, they both deserve it. I will be green if Vettel somehow wins it though.
You even quoted and agreed with this, so I find this disingenuous to say the least.

I have repeatedly praised Hamilton's superb performance all year. I just call BS on your alternative points distribution model.

turbof1

zeph wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Now you're just grasping, Bob. As you well know, I said:
beelsebob wrote:
zeph wrote:I am a fan and hope he bags his third WDC this year, but I do agree that Hamilton should be leading the championship right now. Save the mindless defensive move on Maldonado, he has been flawless this year.
I'd agree on both points - I wouldn't mind Alonso or Hamilton winning this year, they both deserve it. I will be green if Vettel somehow wins it though.
You even quoted and agreed with this, so I find this disingenuous to say the least.

I have repeatedly praised Hamilton's superb performance all year. I just call BS on your alternative points distribution model.
I don't see a contradiction? Alonso did drove flawless this year and based on that he does deserve to win, but Hamilton equally deserves it. Alonso however did have, next to his flawless driving, the fortune that others drop out several times either due mistakes by the driver, the team or mechanical failure. Hamilton never made on track mistakes (he did made the Spa off-track mistake of wrong set up). Based solely on the pure speed of his car, he would never had managed it.
Personally, if we could somehow rule out mechanical failure and mistakes outside the driver, and car performance, these 2 deserve an intense battle from round 1 to round 20 all the way through.
#AeroFrodo

jdlive

I agree, luck, just like having the best or one of the best cars, is always a given. You can not reasonably use this to discredit someone's achievements. If he wins the WDC eventually, he has deserved it.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

raymondu999

Looking back at the comments here - it's really interesting to see how people were reacting. A lot of people were ready to call it quits and give Alonso the title already. I can't blame those who did at the time - hindsight is a wonderful thing - but just really interesting to see.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger

raymondu999 wrote:Looking back at the comments here - it's really interesting to see how people were reacting. A lot of people were ready to call it quits and give Alonso the title already. I can't blame those who did at the time - hindsight is a wonderful thing - but just really interesting to see.
It's also ironic how us Ferrari fans were cheering Hamilton's retirement in this race.

At this stage, i guess no one saw the Red Bull dominance returning. It was said in many threads around here that if the wins continued to be shared out amongst the leading drivers then Alonso stood a good chance of the winning the championship, but if one guy went on a winning streak, then it would be difficult.

raymondu999

Yes - but the guy who was just on the verge of starting his own winning streak retired! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法