McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

They've become common place on many cars. I first recall seeing them on the MP4-26 U pods. As I recall that zone is one of the few places left for fiddly aero bits after the 2009 rules got rid of aero bling.

Huntresa

Yeah if anything they stem from the Mclaren with U-Pods

j2004p

My point really was that the 3D model had aero items not yet seen on the real car. I thought it was interesting that mclaren might have inadvertently let a detail like that appear in the app before being seen on the real car.

On the other hand the 3D model was probably done weeks ago and the flow conditioner may have since been removed from the 'first test' car as it was found to be worthless

iamthewalrus

beelsebob wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Lotus style.
Pardon? Sauber put these on last year, then McLaren added them, then lotus added them after that. You can't really call it "lotus style" when lotus took it from Sauber and then McLaren.
I think what he meant by 'lotus style' is the fact it is only mounted on the side of the cockpit and doesn't connect
to the vertical flow conditioner outboard of the sidepods

Owen.C93

I meant they look most like the lotus this season ._.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Paul

If I remember correctly, same conditioner could be seen on the 3D model released on the day of the unveiling...

Owen.C93

Paul wrote:If I remember correctly, same conditioner could be seen on the 3D model released on the day of the unveiling...
That's what we're discussing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Holm86

Thats allready been discussed. Way back in the beginning of this thread. Or was it even in the speculations thread??

ajaxtheprince

Being my first post here, please pardon me if this is not the right thread for this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqh01JhEjMU

It seems to explain why McLaren are trying to combine the low downforce front wing with the effect of new front suspension geometry for better front end grip, albeit with a caveat.

Joie de vivre

very good video, tnx

Shakeman

His Coanda video is equally excellent.

Hope PW can keep bringing videos of this quality to us.

wesley123

ajaxtheprince wrote:It seems to explain why McLaren are trying to combine the low downforce front wing with the effect of new front suspension geometry for better front end grip, albeit with a caveat.
low downforce front wing. I wouldnt call it that. Although I believe on day one Button ran pretty low AoA on the front wing.

The update however, compared to before, isnt really 'low downforce', although it might suggest that by the missing of the R-shaped winglet.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Vegetabill

Could they have used a low ish downforce front wing they had used last season deliberately to measure the gain in rear downforce against the 27? Does a low downforce front wing increase the amount of good air forced around the side pods to the rear increasing rear downforce generated by the diffuser?

f1rules

mclaren has added sidepod flow conditioners as expected, pics on amus

Clausell

New aerodinamic details on the McLaren MP4-28, http://bit.ly/11Sipm7