Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
el-Magico

Re: Ferrari F14T

Cuky wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:I belive they just remove gurney rest of the wing is of course the same. :?: So anyway i are with beelsebob that is just some sort unusual testing.
Whole flap is different. If they had just removed the gurney there still would be two V cuts on the flap
You cant see the V shape due to the DRS system thats is blocking the view..
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

aleks_ader

Cuky wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:I belive they just remove gurney rest of the wing is of course the same. :?: So anyway i are with beelsebob that is just some sort unusual testing.
Whole flap is different. If they had just removed the gurney there still would be two V cuts on the flap
Yeah my bad i dint look picture from the bacdie of the car. #-o
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Tobi1315

f300v10 wrote:This one has be a bit puzzled. They ran a different rear wing flap with a straight trailing edge and no Gurney flap:

http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/sutt ... 8fe266.jpg
I don't know if anybody has mentioned it yet but the RW endplates are new. No longer do they have trailing edge slots along the back

radosav

http://gyazo.com/8c4d8de37e52ccd1de708d1e57dcde2e.gif
I think that this Alonso's slide was because of touching the kerb and not being able to have control of torque out of corner.
What do you guys think how will this new turbo engines effect race lines through corners?

Crucial_Xtreme

It seems to me with the new Reg changes & PU changes the team is taking a bit of a conservative approach to testing. Which is understandable with the Aero problems that has plagued the team in recent years. What's different is we have not seen the team this cautious and this deliberate in years. Allison has a plan and is sticking to it. When have we seen Ferrari completely Aero map the entire car like we have with the F14 T? Haven't. Obviously it's for help/confirmation of correlation but also performance. The team, the car is different this year. So will be the results.

Vanja #66

It's a bit off topic, the way I'll post this, but I have to agree... Since 2011 (a year to forget) there has been a massive change in how the team works during testing, but this year is on a different level again... Fry brought a lot of seriousness when he became TD, Allison did the same again, at least that's how it looks to me... The result - F14 T is at least #2 car on the grid, not including the potential team isn't showing yet...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Chuckjr

beelsebob wrote:
f300v10 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Why is that puzzling?
Running with no Gurney flap. And notice how the trailing edge is lower than the endplates. They were probably just testing something, I don't expect to see that configuration race trim.
What's wrong with running no gurney tab?

Remember, the entire point of a gurney tab is that it's a quick hack that can be added to the back of a wing to increase it's downforce in an emergency. They are explicitly things that are meant to be easily removable. The norm is to run without them.
If they are as terrible as you have described, why are they so often used/seen on rear diffusers (like the ones shown just above on the page before this)? I'm not arguing, I'm asking.

And +1 Crucial
Watching F1 since 1986.

Kiril Varbanov

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:It seems to me with the new Reg changes & PU changes the team is taking a bit of a conservative approach to testing. Which is understandable with the Aero problems that has plagued the team in recent years. What's different is we have not seen the team this cautious and this deliberate in years. Allison has a plan and is sticking to it. When have we seen Ferrari completely Aero map the entire car like we have with the F14 T? Haven't. Obviously it's for help/confirmation of correlation but also performance. The team, the car is different this year. So will be the results.
Having talked to a team member, it seems that this is the case, indeed, although not directly confirmed by him.
Certainly, we cannot tell Ferrari what to do, as they are the seasoned professionals :) But we can analyze.

Jerez:
- Flow-viz on the entire nose plus front wing - makes a lot of sense, as there are prominent changes

- Immediate small aero rake behind front wheels, supposedly to check tire wake flow and respectively interaction with front wing end plates plus FW reduced size. Correlation type testing set, as this is already done in the wind tunnel and with CFD.

- Next was flow-viz of front brake ducts
- Aero rake at central section, again:

- Flow viz on the rear wing

(I may be missing something here...)

Bahrain:
- Aero rake on the rear wing

- Aero rake behind the diffuser

- Large aero rake at the side central section of the car, different than Jerez:

- Completely new front wing.

Put this way, it looks like a systematic effort. The car obviously need some more raw pace, or at least that's the way I decrypt Alonso's comments from yesterday:
"We really need to exploit the potential of the car. I think right now we are missing something."
While Alonso wants to see more performance from his car, after he "found one setup that did work and two things that didn't", he believes that his and Ferrari's mileage so far leaves him in a good position.

On the plus side, the race simulation is successful.

tok-tokkie

This picture shows the pitot tube array behind the first Bahrain front wing.

Here they are using it on the second Bahrain front wing.

I had to scroll back through the pictures to find the test of the second wing. I had expected the back to back comparison & was surprised that I had not noticed it.

Ferrari2183

Vanja #66 wrote:
Ferrari2183 wrote: The race sim was very poor. Perez' was faster.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eneap74xvsdie ... 6%2033.jpg

Above are the lap times from the last 2 stints. Alo's is the 3rd column from the left.
Mate, you can't post pictures from Dropbox like that, you have to change domain to dl.dropboxusercontent... So,your picture's URL would be...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ene ... 6%2033.jpg

... and now it can be posted...

... and no ALO race sim times there... Around the middle part of the sim lap times were 1:39, as I recall...
Third from the left is Alonso's race sim. I'm sure of it.

Bomber_Pilot

So he did a one-stopper?

henra

Ferrari2183 wrote: Third from the left is Alonso's race sim. I'm sure of it.
Actually the title of the third column is ALO (Compare to MAL in the first column) so it seems you are right.

atanatizante

From Autosport :
"11:53 The latest from BEN ANDERSON in the pits is that the Force India pitwall is well-staffed at the moment as they keep an eye on Hulkenberg's race simulation.

The German has been lapping in the 1m43s for the last few laps, which is comparable with the race run Fernando Alonso carried out for Ferrari yesterday.

Alonso upped his pace significantly in the final stint though, finding the sort of pace we have seen from Mercedes in race-spec once he was on a lower fuel load."
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

aleks_ader

henra wrote:
Actually the title of the third column is ALO (Compare to MAL in the first column) so it seems you are right.
But ALO did sim with 3 stops. If i remeber well (2×SOFT and 2×MEDIUM).
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Ferrari2183

aleks_ader wrote:
henra wrote:
But ALO did sim with 3 stops. If i remeber well (2×SOFT and 2×MEDIUM).
Those times are only the last 2 stints.