Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jonaliew

Re: Ferrari F14T

AUTOSPORT technical writer CRAIG SCARBOROUGH has spotted a few intriguing new bits on the Ferrari this week so far.

"Ferrari has been introducing more parts of its update package. On Thursday, we saw the new front wing and yesterday came the revised engine cover.

"This creates a larger outlet around the exhaust. There is also a variation in the size of Coke bottle outlets and the inlet duct on the spine of the cover feeding cool air into the turbo.

"One feature not seen on an F1 car perhaps since 2009 is a wing profile on the rollhoop."

jagunx51

............!!!!

ecapox

Wow. Any other cars have that sound? Or specifically any other Ferrari powered cars have that sound?

Predator

Yes, my Subaru Impreza makes the same sound when I switch it off. Have you never heard a turbo car before?

ecapox

I own an impreza as well but it surely doesn't sound like that. Also have owned a Golf GTI. Also have owned an Audi A4. Also had an Alfa 164. None of my turbo cars have made that sound when I turned them off.

When you get on the power you can hear a slight whistle as the turbo spools up but never on shutdown.

tony77g

Tested only in day 1

neilbah

Re the sound entering pits,

could the turbo be discharging the stored energy from the kers to make it safe in the pits?
most road cars probably dont idle as high as an F1 car so shutting off the engine the turbo would not be spinning so fast?
for turbo to spool down like that then all restriction must be removed surely so im guessing the compressor side is bypassing throttles and the lack of back pressure with the short and large bore exhaust helps but maybe a clutch is being disengaged on the exhaust side too?

Sevach

I'm surprised that this car still doesn't have a monkey seat...

Matt Somers

Sevach wrote:I'm surprised that this car still doesn't have a monkey seat...
They did try one briefly...
https://twitter.com/SomersF1/status/438694214168113152
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

ecapox

neilbah wrote:Re the sound entering pits,

could the turbo be discharging the stored energy from the kers to make it safe in the pits?
most road cars probably dont idle as high as an F1 car so shutting off the engine the turbo would not be spinning so fast?
for turbo to spool down like that then all restriction must be removed surely so im guessing the compressor side is bypassing throttles and the lack of back pressure with the short and large bore exhaust helps but maybe a clutch is being disengaged on the exhaust side too?
I bet you are right. Throttles open or bypassed and stored energy is discharged by spooling turbo. I'm assuming that the oil pumps would have to be runningas well in order to lubricate the turbo during this brief discharge.

Very rarely do you hear a turbo spinningso quickly without the engine running pretty hard as well.

f300v10

Matt Somers wrote:
They did try one briefly...

https://twitter.com/SomersF1/status/438694214168113152
The monkey seat was on the car again today.

iHpled

Yeah kinda weird, but i think Ferrari is opting for a total different approach. They try to be as efficient as they can for optimal perfomance in the race. Whereas Mercedes is going for the max performance over 1 lap, kinda the redbull strategy. That being said, a monkey seat gives performance, but also a lot of drag so not so efficient performance?

But thats my view, maybe they are developing a better one. We will see.

Maxion

ecapox wrote:
neilbah wrote:Re the sound entering pits,

I bet you are right. Throttles open or bypassed and stored energy is discharged by spooling turbo. I'm assuming that the oil pumps would have to be runningas well in order to lubricate the turbo during this brief discharge.

Very rarely do you hear a turbo spinningso quickly without the engine running pretty hard as well.
AFAIK the oil pumps aren't moving with the engine turned off as they have to be mechanically linked to the ICE.

bhall

beelsebob wrote:What's wrong with running no gurney tab?

Remember, the entire point of a gurney tab is that it's a quick hack that can be added to the back of a wing to increase it's downforce in an emergency. They are explicitly things that are meant to be easily removable. The norm is to run without them.
Virtually every team uses a Gurney flap these days. It's an excellent tool.

In the initial stages of a race, when the car is heavy with fuel, a Gurney flap adds downforce, which mitigates some of the negative impact that load has on cornering, braking, tire wear, etc. Then, as the race progresses and the car gets lighter, the flap can be removed once it becomes advantageous to have reduced drag instead of added downforce, or if the driver simply wants to adjust the balance of the car.

By the look of things, I think Ferrari figured out that Gurney flaps will likely be even more instrumental this year. With an eighth gear and Monza-spec gear ratios for every track, a significant mid-race drag reduction won't result in the car bouncing off the rev-limiter as it surely would with seven shorter gears; it will just keep going and going and going and...

As such, and even though they've generally been much smaller in previous years, it's probably a good idea to use the full 20mm allowed by the regulations (3.10.1), because the bigger the Gurney, the bigger the drag reduction when it comes off. That appears to be exactly what Ferrari has done here.
f300v10 wrote:[...]

el-Magico

Is it allowed to remove the gurney flap on the rear wing, lets say during a pitstop?

Edit: add rear wing
Last edited by el-Magico on 01 Mar 2014, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."