Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OO7
OO7

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

As for the front wing to pylon attachment points, these have been around for a while, its just that they are more visible on the Mercedes.

PhillipM

Looks like they've forgot to stick those magical twin tusks on the new nose. Who'd've thought it.

astracrazy

Blaze1 wrote:As for the front wing to pylon attachment points, these have been around for a while, its just that they are more visible on the Mercedes.
i'm pretty sure the attachment points are actually the same as the old nose, just the bodywork above them has moved back in line with them.

MountainBiker

Jef Patat wrote:
lewishamilton90 wrote:Mercedes hat nicht umsonst so viel Arbeit in die Nase gesteckt. Der Vorteil ist signifikant. Teamchef Toto Wolff erklärt: "Das Auto wurde für die kurze Nase konzipiert. Wir sind bis jetzt also nur mit einer Notlösung gefahren."
In plain english: the car was designed around the short nose, the current one was an emergency solution.
Frightening for the other teams, they've dominated 3 GP's with a stop gap nose.

zioture

The first comparison was wrong, sorry ...
Now I drew the shape of the new nose and superimposed on the old one. The new one is cut is 'shorter and perhaps more' subtle under

turbof1

I think the wing introduced in Melbourne will work better with the new nose then the old one; mercedes intended to get the new nose too in melbourne, so each were designed around the other. Double benefit.

Also looks like they added a small bulge underneath the nose. As this creates extra front downforce, it's telling about the amount of rear downforce they have.
#AeroFrodo

NewtonMeter

turbof1 wrote:Also looks like they added a small bulge underneath the nose. As this creates extra front downforce, it's telling about the amount of rear downforce they have.
Where is this bulge? I can't seem to find it... #-o
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

De Jokke

Aldo Costa fügt an, dass sich das Auto mit der neuen Lösung "einfacher ausbalancieren" lasse.

Easier to balance the car out, according to Costa. :D
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Ferraripilot

The slight droop at the center of the underside of the leading edge of the nose I'd guess is acting somewhat as a splitter. I have to wonder how this new split flow reacts to the bat-wing just behind.

r.t.1.n

guys read this ... according to Amus :

"Mercedes hat nicht umsonst so viel Arbeit in die Nase gesteckt. Der Vorteil ist signifikant. Teamchef Toto Wolff erklärt: "Das Auto wurde für die kurze Nase konzipiert. Wir sind bis jetzt also nur mit einer Notlösung gefahren."

Google Translate :

"Mercedes has not for nothing that put so much work into the nose. The advantage is significant. Team boss Toto Wolff explains : "The car was designed for the short nose So we are down to now only a stopgap. . "
Last edited by r.t.1.n on 17 Apr 2014, 15:46, edited 2 times in total.

De Jokke

I hope it can improve the car in the wet. If it helps to eliminate the understeer, the wet weather sessions should become better for us. Maybe they can already put it to the test on Saturday (wet qwf likely)
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

stefan_

China 2014 - Thursday (17.04.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Powershift

hope this new front wing pylon arrangement can withstand lots of pitstops, especially with intermittent rain expected this weekend
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

OO7
OO7

Powershift wrote:hope this new front wing pylon arrangement can withstand lots of pitstops, especially with intermittent rain expected this weekend
The front wing pylon arrangement is almost identical to the last.

ringo

The new nose will mostly improve cornering.
And by this I mean to say that front wing performance will not vary much in the corners compared to straight line.
For Sure!!