Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OO7
OO7

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

gray41 wrote:What number is Nico there? I can't see it.
:lol: You were right. It's a '6' but I think the probe will be removed for qualification and the race, making it more visible.

zioture

Avideo comparing the old nose and the new nose Mercedes W05

MercedesAMGSpy

I don't think the new nose is a big problem, maybe it needs some fine tuning. It's only friday and balance issues are part of the game. Lewis and his engineers will work hard to solve them. Interesting to see if Merc will turn up the wick again in FP3.

diego.liv

http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/20 ... -shanghai/

New PU for both drivers

Hamilton used it for 2 and a half weekends; same for Rosberg, AUS race he was cruising..they aren't going to throw in the trash these used PU, but why not 'stressing' the PU now that competition is far behind? Ofc they can use these PU on fridays and change them on Sats and Suns

MercedesAMGSpy

diego.liv wrote:http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/20 ... -shanghai/

New PU for both drivers

Hamilton used it for 2 and a half weekends; same for Rosberg, AUS race he was cruising..they aren't going to throw in the trash these used PU, but why not 'stressing' the PU now that competition is far behind? Ofc they can use these PU on fridays and change them on Sats and Suns
AMUS reported that these new generation of Merc engines are more reliable and durable.

dans79

They can reuse generation 1 engines later in the season if need be. Thus they are probably using what they know is the safe bet. If they clinch the championships with several races to go, then they can switch back to the older motors.
197 104 103 7

MercedesAMGSpy

MuseF1

beelsebob wrote:No, there's three shafts. One runs from the hot side of the turbo to a clutch. A second runs from that clutch, through the MGU-H, to another clutch. A third runs from the second clutch to the compressor. This allows them to either

2. Engage only clutch 1. This allows the turbo to stop spinning the compressor, and put all of it's power into charging the batteries through the MGU-H.

Forgive me if there is something I missed, there's a lot of threads and pages regarding this sort of stuff.

But isn't disconnection between the turbine and compressor not allowed in the regulations?
Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor linked to
a sole single stage exhaust turbine by a shaft assembly parallel to the engine crankshaft and
within 25mm of the car centre line. The shaft must be designed so as to ensure that the shaft
assembly, the compressor and the turbine always rotate
about a common axis and at the
same angular velocity
, an electrical motor generator (MGU-H) may be directly coupled to it.
The way I read that, the turbine always has to driving the compressor, because if it didn't there would be different angular velocity between the two?
beelsebob wrote: 3. Engage only clutch 2. This allows the MGU-H to drive only the compressor, and not the hot side of the turbo, using less energy, and giving less turbo lag, as it can spin up the compressor faster.
And this would be dissallowed also, if the compressor and turbine were on two seperate shafts the MGU-H wouldn't be able to drive the compressor alone?
The MGU-H must be solely mechanically linked to the exhaust turbine of a pressure charging
system. This mechanical link must be of fixed speed ratio to the exhaust turbine and may be
clutched

Richard

Owen.C93 wrote: No, one guy who is often just making up BS thinks that. The rules state that there must be 8 forward gears and specifies a minimum weight and thickness.
Indeed. I've made sure that we'll not be hearing anymore on this matter. :wink:

Shakeman

Given that RB have got away with the internal mounting of the camera will Merc follow or do their "horns" benefit them aerodynamically more than an inboard camera would?

If so how? Maybe similar to this?

Cocles

Shakeman wrote:Given that RB have got away with the internal mounting of the camera will Merc follow or do their "horns" benefit them aerodynamically more than an inboard camera would?
Yes, it was mentioned a few times during testing that the "horns" assist the car aerodynamically. :)

Burgess

Wouldn't merc need to redesign the entire nose to get the enclosed bit anyway? I thought they were at a mandated height and the horns take it up to that height.

flyboy2160

richard_leeds wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote: No, one guy who is often just making up BS thinks that. The rules state that there must be 8 forward gears and specifies a minimum weight and thickness.
Indeed. I've made sure that we'll not be hearing anymore on this matter. :wink:
And I've cleaned out most of the posts about the fantasy I-want-to-stir-up-the-pot 7 speed gearbox. Thanks to those who set the record straight. I'm deleting your posts just to clean this mess out of the thread; no disrespect intended to you.

zack!

Well I am too lazy for reading all thread to check, sorry for that. But what are the function of the two ears belonging to each side of air box. Is that a "DRS" device, or a "turning signal" for the PU (don't know if PU can be controled from turning feedback by regulation) ?

Blackout

They feed one of the radiators placed at the back above the Turbo... probably the gear box or the hydraulics radiator...
The rad alone: http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 769432.jpg
and the channels: http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 769298.jpg