Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
l4mbch0ps

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Yes, the silver bullet thing is definitely a media focus I think. Obviously there have been times in F1 history where 1 major difference has provided a huge advantage - silver bullet as they say. The double diffuser that Brawn brought in I think is a good example of that.

This Mercedes though, like you are all saying is just developed to a higher level more generally than that. A lot of their advantages are derived from complimentary engineering that is derived from their engine/chassis development integration and what has clearly been an overall development pace advantage during the lead up to the introduction of the new engines. No one piece makes the lions share of the advantage (except, arguably the engine) but each area works together as a whole which provides obvious performance advantages to the rest of the field.

timbo

trinidefender wrote:
Morteza wrote:http://s8.postimg.org/mqfn781h1/W05.png

Formula1.com
What a load of ****. All of the teams have the intake to their radiators ducted so that there is nothing else in the way of the radiators apart from a straight duct from the front of the sidepods to the radiators. After the radiators have an almost clear shot to the rear end of the car and you can see on all the cars that most components have fairings over them with the exhausts being probably the only things being exposed.
I thought the article was about air exiting radiators. And Merc does seem a bit cleaner in that area.
trinidefender wrote:I think this was posted because GA is trying to pinpoint specific parts of the car that somehow make the Mercedes so quick instead of admitting that it is in fact the whole sum of well designed parts that make the car quick. But of course that is boring to say as it is much more interesting to say the Merc is so quick because of these few things. If it were that simple then every car would be that quick, the designers and engineers aren't idiots.
Does GA write to fornula1.com?

stefan_

Abu Dhabi Post-Season Test Session 2014 - Wednesday (26.11.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

SiLo

They could turn up next year with the same car and still probably win races.
Felipe Baby!

Blackout

Aero sensors behind the cockpit area? Do they project to do something original there in 2015?

Owen.C93

Hamilton is probably looking sideways for a reason. It's usually about wind tunnel validation.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

markn93

Owen.C93 wrote:Hamilton is probably looking sideways for a reason. It's usually about wind tunnel validation.
That's Pascal Werhlein.

kooleracer

markn93 wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Hamilton is probably looking sideways for a reason. It's usually about wind tunnel validation.
That's Pascal Werhlein.
He has the nicest helmet of all the current F1 drivers, I like his taste! That could be a iconic helmet design in the future.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

George-Jung

No more #keepfightingmichael?

Owen.C93

oops, I thought Hamilton switched back to yellow. Same point anyway.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Manoah2u

helmet does look a lot like hamilton's previous design, though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

MercAMGF1Fans

George-Jung wrote:No more #keepfightingmichael?
It's a new chassis.. for development.. I saw it getting unpacked on Sunday night after the race..

MercAMGF1Fans

Pascal set his fastest lap on the new development supersoft pirelli tyre, also they did test a new rear wing upper element.. can't show the pictures as i wasn't allowed to take any.. and Merc do check this thread :-) Hello Mercedes :-)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... 7001402397

NewtonMeter

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:Pascal set his fastest lap on the new development supersoft pirelli tyre, also they did test a new rear wing upper element.. can't show the pictures as i wasn't allowed to take any.. and Merc do check this thread :-) Hello Mercedes :-)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... 7001402397
For our remarkable insights and assistance in development, presumably?

You're welcome.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

MercAMGF1Fans

NewtonMeter wrote:
For our remarkable insights and assistance in development, presumably?

You're welcome.
Armchair engineers hahaha yeah.. from what I was told.. somethings are "too accurate"