Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
trinidefender

Re: Ferrari F14T

scarbs wrote:I think the compressor runs in reverse, air exits in the middle and enters via the perimeter inlets fed by the split airbox
What exactly do you mean by this? You are saying that the turbocharger compressor takes air from the outside edge of the compressor wheel and expels it out of the centre. If so then a compressor cannot work like that. A centrifugal compressor works by throwing air outwards at a speed before it goes through a diffuser that converts that velocity to pressure.

TAG

trinidefender wrote:
scarbs wrote:I think the compressor runs in reverse, air exits in the middle and enters via the perimeter inlets fed by the split airbox
What exactly do you mean by this? You are saying that the turbocharger compressor takes air from the outside edge of the compressor wheel and expels it out of the centre. If so then a compressor cannot work like that. A centrifugal compressor works by throwing air outwards at a speed before it goes through a diffuser that converts that velocity to pressure.
He's talking about how the compressor feeds air into the intercooler, not the function of the compressor itself.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Facts Only

I don't think it does, I think it runs like a normal compressor but the ducting/casing is pretty trick. I've worked it out from a few pictures and I think it also explains the twin air filters and feeds to the compressor. Just need to find a few minutes to annotate some pictures and do a quick CAD model. Will add details to the Engine Formula thread when I get a chance.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

aleks_ader

Facts Only wrote:
I don't think it does, I think it runs like a normal compressor but the ducting/casing is pretty trick. I've worked it out from a few pictures and I think it also explains the twin air filters and feeds to the compressor. Just need to find a few minutes to annotate some pictures and do a quick CAD model. Will add details to the Engine Formula thread when I get a chance.
I m also pondering the axial turbine option, but the pressure ratio of single stages (demanded by rules) are pretty low, values are near 0.8 - 1.2. There are 2-3 exceptions with value over 2, but that are just exception and doesnt look promising.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

trinidefender

aleks_ader wrote:
Facts Only wrote:
I m also pondering the axial turbine option, but the pressure ratio of single stages (demanded by rules) are pretty low, values are near 0.8 - 1.2. There are 2-3 exceptions with value over 2, but that are just exception and doesnt look promising.
You are thinking of axial compressors. Pretty much all aviation gas turbines use axial turbines. Our helicopter has 1 axial turbine to drive the compressor, bleed air and engine accessory gearbox. There is another separate shaft that uses two turbines to power the shaft that connects to the rotor system gearbox but as I said, compressor and everything else is driven by a single turbine disk.

PlatinumZealot

Interesting idea to use an axial compressor on the turbocharger, but it won't be fit for Motorsport. The thing that is important to a turbocharger is transient response, the radial turbine is extremely good at transient response because it uses centripetal force combined with very steep blades to sweep the air down and out, the axial turbine as its name implies moves the air axially primarily using a series (stages) of twisted blades and vanes forcing the air down increasing smaller channels. What you find is that the radial turbine has a very large operating window, (it will not stall and it) while the axial turbine has a very narrow one across a range of rpm. If you drop the speed it stalls. This is no good for a car's turbocharger where the turbine speed is changing so much.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏