Haas VF16 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr.G

Re: Haas VF16 Ferrari

That's not bottom that's back...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Blackout

FW17 wrote:Even I thought that to be the arrangement for the charge air

But the cooling air ducted from the roll hoop would be entering the top of the intercooler heat exchanger and leaving through the bottom but that does not seem to be the case with the image as the bottom is completely sealed

and the back is temporarily sealed

countersteer

From the NBCSN documentary. Don't have time to dig up a screenshot. Did anybody notice how they blurred out the front of the monocoque when there was a straight on shot. I noticed it twice. I didn't notice any other blurring of details throughout the rest of the program. Wonder what they're hiding? Or were they using the classic magician's trick?

(edited to NBCSN... was MSNBC. Must have election coverage on the brain!)
Last edited by countersteer on 18 Mar 2016, 19:33, edited 2 times in total.

giantfan10

countersteer wrote:From the MSNBC documentary. Don't have time to dig up a screenshot. Did anybody notice how they blurred out the front of the monocoque when there was a straight on shot. I noticed it twice. I didn't notice any other blurring of details throughout the rest of the program. Wonder what they're hiding? Or were they using the classic magician's trick?
They actually blurred a lot.... the engine was blurred quite a lot along with the front suspension layout...

strad

giantfan10 wrote:Who is watching Haas F1:Americas return to the grid? Very very interesting look at what it takes behind the scenes : )
Posted a copy on two threads here.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... &start=120
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... start=1575
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Lord_Shaitan

Does anyone know how the in season development of VF-16 is supposed to look like? To be honest I haven't read anything in this matter and I'm just curious...

sgth0mas

Lord_Shaitan wrote:Does anyone know how the in season development of VF-16 is supposed to look like? To be honest I haven't read anything in this matter and I'm just curious...
In season development is supposed to be very limited this year based on recent comments from Haas...

"Other than some updates we have been working on, we are pretty much done with the 2016 car," Haas confirmed ahead of Romain Grosjean taking sixth place in Melbourne, "We're moving on to the 2017 car because it is a pretty radical change so, other than some minor changes to the front wing, there should not be anything radical coming on this year's car."

http://m.crash.net/f1/news/228790/1/haa ... 6-car.html

SteveRacer

This is a little disappointing. I was hoping to see how the Haas engineering team were going to stack up with the other teams during the in season development. I am assuming that the 2017 car will be 100% designed by Haas aside from the purchased Ferrari parts. Is this correct?

trinidefender

SteveRacer wrote:This is a little disappointing. I was hoping to see how the Haas engineering team were going to stack up with the other teams during the in season development. I am assuming that the 2017 car will be 100% designed by Haas aside from the purchased Ferrari parts. Is this correct?
I believe that their current ideology is to outsource as many parts as possible to reduce costs. The money saved can then be spent on things like their aero package and suspension setup. Basically spending their limited money where it has the most benefit to lap time.

Hopefully this will keep them out of financial troubles that have plagued so many of the lower budget teams while still allowing them to be somewhat competitive. I've been really impressed by them and would suggest others keep a close eye on HAAS.

Mr.G

SteveRacer wrote:This is a little disappointing. I was hoping to see how the Haas engineering team were going to stack up with the other teams during the in season development. I am assuming that the 2017 car will be 100% designed by Haas aside from the purchased Ferrari parts. Is this correct?
I think, this is pretty much the same in all teams with limited budget. They will see how competitive they are and if not 2017 it is as the changes are too big.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Lord_Shaitan

sgth0mas wrote:In season development is supposed to be very limited this year based on recent comments from Haas...

"Other than some updates we have been working on, we are pretty much done with the 2016 car," Haas confirmed ahead of Romain Grosjean taking sixth place in Melbourne, "We're moving on to the 2017 car because it is a pretty radical change so, other than some minor changes to the front wing, there should not be anything radical coming on this year's car."

http://m.crash.net/f1/news/228790/1/haa ... 6-car.html
Thanks a lot for your reply! More or less that's what I was expecting so can't say I'm disappointed. Having a 2017 revolution at sight it's the only sensible move really.

ME4ME

I agree, it makes sense to put all development resources onto the 2017 project.

They can still make progress this year, but it will be in other areas such as improving the team, on-track activities and car setup. Also if they can stay in front of Sauber and Manor, they'll get a decent income from finishing 9th in the constructors championship. They should try to really establish their brand in the sport as well, and find some sponsors worth having.

ESPImperium

ME4ME wrote:I agree, it makes sense to put all development resources onto the 2017 project.

They can still make progress this year, but it will be in other areas such as improving the team, on-track activities and car setup. Also if they can stay in front of Sauber and Manor, they'll get a decent income from finishing 9th in the constructors championship. They should try to really establish their brand in the sport as well, and find some sponsors worth having.
At the moment, if they finished 9th they would get zero as they don't have a deal with FOM right now. So until a deal is struck, they will miss out on the €65m/$71m or so that would boost their modest €70m/$80m budget for this year to a budget that would be greater than Williams/Force India/Toro Rosso (€120m/$135m mark) but less than Renault (Chassis budget €200m/$225m) and easily present them in the mid pack.

A nice €130m/$150m budget is the business plan for this team, and a budget that i think is what lots of new teams looking to come into F1 will follow. I think the parts list shall be smaller over the next few season, however i think there will be more restrictions on technical partnerships and chassis and aero development pre F1 entrance. Id love for all the teams who don't have manufacturer backing and a €200m+ budget to have a budget of around the €130m/$150m mark as it would tighten the grid right up and also mean that the grid would be covered by my ideal of 2.5-3 seconds in quail trim.

Haas, no matter if you agree with the way and how they have came into F1 will be positive and a new business case study for the sport. I expect to see Honda and Renault look for a similar way into the sport for their 'B-Teams' as i think Manufacturers will soon only have one or two customers, with Mercedes being the exception to this rule.

Raleigh

This discussion probably belongs in the team thread, but the FIA ruling was that you can't just "loan" engineers to another team like Ferrari did to help Haas build the VF16.

That's what Mercedes was requesting clarification on, because if other Honda or perhaps even Renault start doing that regularly then it would be necessary for Merc to do the same.

sgth0mas

Raleigh wrote:This discussion probably belongs in the team thread, but the FIA ruling was that you can't just "loan" engineers to another team like Ferrari did to help Haas build the VF16.

That's what Mercedes was requesting clarification on, because if other Honda or perhaps even Renault start doing that regularly then it would be necessary for Merc to do the same.
Are you responding to someone or just kinda throwing this out there to derail the subject from the haas in season development discussion?