Haas VF16 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Raleigh

Re: Haas VF16 Ferrari

PlatinumZealot wrote:His name was not mentioned the commenator only referred to him as "the guy that designed the Lotus suspension" during the race. It could be a sarcastic, and incorrect, reference to James Allison, because the Haas does have the same control arm and pushrod elements as the SF16. However, to my knowledge James Allison doesn't design suspension systems. He was the technical director at lotus he wouldn't have time to sit at a computer designing the suspension system.
You're probably right that James Allison won't have directly designed the suspension, but as long as he knows why the Lotus cars were kind on tires he should be able to transfer that knowledge to Ferrari.

The SF-15T was very good on tires, might be a set-up trick as much as it is the suspension design.

iotar__

PlatinumZealot wrote:On sky they said the suspension innards of the Hass are not a direct Ferrari design. They say it is designed/modified by the same man who designed the suspension for those great lotuses of 2012/2013. Could explain why the Haas is so good on its tyres.
You take Sky's fairy tales of Haas' tyre management seriously? For the start: if your tyre management is so great you run longer stints/less stops and not the opposite. They ran out of BS so they brought up magical suspension designer. Fine:

A. one person doesn't design anything so it's very safe to say that currently at Lotus (or other teams, WIlliams etc.) there are also 12-13 suspension "designers", starting with CD Nick Chester, I think it's his area of expertise although I'm sure he hasn't got a time to do it now. I don't know how Allison was dragged into suspension designs.
B. Differences:
- FRIC
- completely different tyres
- completely different engines
- different aero
C. suspension designs as any F1 designs are accumulated over the years, not transplanted with one person into magical solution on a new car
D. I don't know where said person worked in '15 but '15 Lotus wasn't particularly good on tyres, or in slow corners, or on tracks like Hungary/Monaco/Singapore etc. Hard to separate from everything else though, isn't it?

NutritionFact

Hy there,

Something possible??

Maybe Haas built a "dirty air" car?
If you see a haas car in the midfield they are driving like the others in free air.

Jm2C
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

wuzak

iotar__ wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:On sky they said the suspension innards of the Hass are not a direct Ferrari design. They say it is designed/modified by the same man who designed the suspension for those great lotuses of 2012/2013. Could explain why the Haas is so good on its tyres.
You take Sky's fairy tales of Haas' tyre management seriously? For the start: if your tyre management is so great you run longer stints/less stops and not the opposite. They ran out of BS so they brought up magical suspension designer.
Tyre management doesn't necessarily mean they have less stops for tyres.

In the case of Haas at Bahrain tyre management enabled them to run 3 stints on the super-soft and one on the soft, whereas those ahead ran two stints on each of the super-softs and two stints with softs or one each of softs and mediums.

Grosjean stopped for his last set of tyres (soft) later than those ahead of him, except Ricciardo.

Then again, it may have been because they had more new super-softs available.

Thunder

New Cascade Element on the Haas FW? https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 6208855040
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

turbof1

I moved the posts about aero sensitivity to here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=22282
#AeroFrodo

SteveRacer

So this new wing was designed by Haas F1 and built by Dallara?

F1NAC

Rear brake casing shattered because of heat

PlatinumZealot

Thunders wrote:New Cascade Element on the Haas FW?
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 6208855040
Looks so easy to break off. Strange refinement though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Racer X

So fresh pictures but nothing new right'?

I would expect updates for the Spanish GP for all small teams and big teams not a circuit like Russia'.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Mark4211

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is coming from an observer : x

I recall that when Haas introduced this update https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 6208855040 to their front wing, the extra cascade looks to be a Y250 vortex generator?

However at the front wing main plane, there should be a Y250 vortex forming there already, could it be the cause as to why the slump in results from China?

[hr]

+ Could an interference to the Y250 vortex cause problems with downforce generated by the floor?

Pierce89

Mark4211 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, this is coming from an observer : x

I recall that when Haas introduced this update https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 6208855040 to their front wing, the extra cascade looks to be a Y250 vortex generator?

However at the front wing main plane, there should be a Y250 vortex forming there already, could it be the cause as to why the slump in results from China?

[hr]

+ Could an interference to the Y250 vortex cause problems with downforce generated by the floor?
I really doubt it. The aerodynamics go through exhaustive testing before being allowed on the car. They would've seen it.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

turbof1

I think the r-cascade does not work due the nose being too low.

The reasoning behind that is in 2013, quite a few teams in fact had such a cascade.
Red Bull:

Mercedes:

Williams:

With the current era where noses are much lower, there is no need to get a Y250 vortex in the projected area. Infact it might be detrimental due disrupting flow going over the sidepods.

I don't know what the reasoning was behind the cascade.
#AeroFrodo