2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sprint car76

Re: 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

Don't forget he had one of the best car designers at the time, rory byrne, who designed all of shumi's title winning cars.

Sonador

sprint car76 wrote:Don't forget he had one of the best car designers at the time, rory byrne, who designed all of shumi's title winning cars.
Almost all the greats have had a dominant car at one point of there carreer.

I remember i was just in awe of Shumacher in 96-2000, afer that it became a bit boring :oops:
Liked his comback very much, but you could see he was an old man fighting with young and "hungry" people.
I clearly remember when he crasched into the back of Vergne in Singapore, and was standing behind the fence looking just old, and very very tired, a shadow of his former herolike self.

Loved the whole Mika vs Micheal ....
And their storys of how they became World Champions!

Jolle

Sonador wrote:
sprint car76 wrote:Don't forget he had one of the best car designers at the time, rory byrne, who designed all of shumi's title winning cars.
Almost all the greats have had a dominant car at one point of there carreer.

I remember i was just in awe of Shumacher in 96-2000, afer that it became a bit boring :oops:
Liked his comback very much, but you could see he was an old man fighting with young and "hungry" people.
I clearly remember when he crasched into the back of Vergne in Singapore, and was standing behind the fence looking just old, and very very tired, a shadow of his former herolike self.

Loved the whole Mika vs Micheal ....
And their storys of how they became World Champions!
McLaren had a dominant car from '84 till 91, Williams from 92 till 97 but they kept changing drivers. That was much of Schumachers class to stay part of the dominant team for so long.

Vasconia

Yes, but almost every driver who has dominated F1 had the best car. Hamiton has the best car(by a mile), Vetted the same, etc.

The great thing is to see how Schumacher battled from 96 to 2000 without the best car, building at the same time a super team around him.

ChrisDanger

godlameroso wrote:Weather update: 40% chance of rain on Sunday, Friday and Saturday should be dry. Qualifying record anyone? Maybe someone gets into the 17's? Considering downforce levels are now pretty much equal to 2012 levels but we have much more powerful engines, and softer compounds. In 2013 Hamilton did a 1:19.388, I don't think they can go below 18's but we'll see.
The track resurfacing may have an effect on laptimes (i.e. bump removal = reduction and different abrasiveness = unknown).

Juzh

ChrisDanger wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Weather update: 40% chance of rain on Sunday, Friday and Saturday should be dry. Qualifying record anyone? Maybe someone gets into the 17's? Considering downforce levels are now pretty much equal to 2012 levels but we have much more powerful engines, and softer compounds. In 2013 Hamilton did a 1:19.388, I don't think they can go below 18's but we'll see.
The track resurfacing may have an effect on laptimes (i.e. bump removal = reduction and different abrasiveness = unknown).
From another forum:
The resurfacing has completely gotten rid of those bumps. In the F3 races there this year, the cars were over 2 seconds faster per lap and that was attributed completely to the track resufacing and the ability to take the natural line instead of having to avoid the bumps. There were also over 400 laps taken away during the F3 weekend due to track limits so that may be an issue as well, but i would expect the F1 guys to be much better in that regard.
WTCC pole time also improved from 1:48.8 to 1:46.1 there.

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:
From another forum:
The resurfacing has completely gotten rid of those bumps. In the F3 races there this year, the cars were over 2 seconds faster per lap and that was attributed completely to the track resufacing and the ability to take the natural line instead of having to avoid the bumps. There were also over 400 laps taken away during the F3 weekend due to track limits so that may be an issue as well, but i would expect the F1 guys to be much better in that regard.
WTCC pole time also improved from 1:48.8 to 1:46.1 there.
Will the marshals control all the cornes or only some of them like it happened in Silverstone?

Just_a_fan

That would be down to Charlie and the stewards.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

Turn 4 and 11 are the only ones that should or could be penalized anyway. All the other ones, going off is punishment enough :)
Saishū kōnā

Spoutnik

Jolle wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Jolle wrote:
I admire your adoration of Schumacher. But, just for fun, I would suggest you to look for instance at Prost's career, his results, his cars and his teammates.
Taking with some historical perspective one could say that Prost was the biggest because of the rivals he had. But people keep saying how great was Senna and at the time underestimating Prost´s qualities.

And I am a huge MSC fan but I think people have been quite unfair with Prost.
I mentioned Prost to show the difference in eras. I could of mentioned Piquet.
With Prost, if he wasn't partnered with WC all of the time at the furious dominant McLaren, he would have been champion from 1984 up to 1991.

But then Senna happened. Car control not seen since Jim Clark.

Schumacher had it reletive easy. The great of the era before just left or died, no dominant drivers at the beginning of his career and that gave him together with Brawn the opertunaty to make one of the most dominant teams like McLaren the years before.
If Brawn had the same way with Schumacher as Dennis did with Prost, he would have been partnered with Alonso and/or Hakkinen instead of Barichello.
Unlike Piquet, Prost and Lauda, Schumacher never had anything to fear from within the team. Not from managers or drivers. That's not a point of criticism but one of things why he was so successful. Building/being part of a team with one single focus.
From a purely theorical point of view, Prost is the best, I mean, he fought for the title almost every season of his career. Many times he's been unlucky (83,84, 88), he didn't reject rivality. He could have won the same amount of WDC as Schumi in fact . He had the ability to analyse the situation, the racecraft, a scientist of the race..
Unfortunately, I'm not of this generation, I start watching Formula One with Schumi vs Hakkinen era. And from a non-rational thinking only Senna give me goosebumps everytime I watch those old F1 race/videos/documentary.

f1316

Spoutnik wrote:From a purely theorical point of view, Prost is the best, I mean, he fought for the title almost every season of his career. Many times he's been unlucky (83,84, 88), he didn't reject rivality. He could have won the same amount of WDC as Schumi in fact . He had the ability to analyse the situation, the racecraft, a scientist of the race..
Unfortunately, I'm not of this generation, I start watching Formula One with Schumi vs Hakkinen era. And from a non-rational thinking only Senna give me goosebumps everytime I watch those old F1 race/videos/documentary.
Schumacher could have won 4 more world championships - 97, 98, 99 and 2006. 98 his car failed on the start (from pole) at the final race; 99 he was leading world championship when he broke his leg and the vastly inferior Irvine took the title to the final race; 2006 he had mechanical issues at the final two races when leading the world championship.

These things happened but if Prost was unlucky not to win more championships, Schumacher was just as if not more so.

It's impossible to compare from different eras but actually, in retrospect, his comeback actually showed his greatness: in 2012 he was by and large faster than Rosberg (you have to go back and watch the whole season to see all the mechanical issues and grosjean-caused crashes that befell him; if you exclude grid penalties he also outqualified him) and that's at 43 against a man who has gone on to compete with the very fastest on equal footing. If he could be that fast at 43, imagine at 23.

Back to race, I think it'll be interesting. Mercedes still fastest but I think both Ferrari and Red Bull will be close; Vettel was actually quicker than Rosberg last year and they may theoretically be able to do something with having more soft tyres.

f1316

f1316 wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:From a purely theorical point of view, Prost is the best, I mean, he fought for the title almost every season of his career. Many times he's been unlucky (83,84, 88), he didn't reject rivality. He could have won the same amount of WDC as Schumi in fact . He had the ability to analyse the situation, the racecraft, a scientist of the race..
Schumacher could have won 4 more world championships - 97, 98, 99 and 2006. 98 his car failed on the start (from pole) at the final race; 99 he was leading world championship when he broke his leg and the vastly inferior Irvine took the title to the final race; 2006 he had mechanical issues at the final two races when leading the world championship.

These things happened but if Prost was unlucky not to win more championships, Schumacher was just as if not more so.

It's impossible to compare from different eras but actually, in retrospect, his comeback actually showed his greatness: in 2012 he was by and large faster than Rosberg (you have to go back and watch the whole season to see all the mechanical issues and grosjean-caused crashes that befell him; if you exclude grid penalties he also outqualified him) and that's at 43 against a man who has gone on to compete with the very fastest on equal footing. If he could be that fast at 43, imagine at 23. Pole at Monaco still awesome.

Back to race, I think it'll be interesting. Mercedes still fastest but I think both Ferrari and Red Bull will be close; Vettel was actually quicker than Rosberg last year and they may theoretically be able to do something with having more soft tyres.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:

It's impossible to compare from different eras but actually, in retrospect, his comeback actually showed his greatness: in 2012 he was by and large faster than Rosberg (you have to go back and watch the whole season to see all the mechanical issues and grosjean-caused crashes that befell him; if you exclude grid penalties he also outqualified him) and that's at 43 against a man who has gone on to compete with the very fastest on equal footing. If he could be that fast at 43, imagine at 23.

2012 could have been a nice farewell year for Michael only with some reliability...

28-30 degrees and sun expected for this weekend. Finally, hot temperatures and tyre degration could help Ferrari to be truly competitive.

ChrisDanger

Some podium stats for the current grid...

ChrisDanger

SCHEDULE OF PRESS CONFERENCES ORGANISED BY THE FIA

Thursday, July 21, 1500 hrs
  • Marcus Ericsson (Sauber)
  • Felipe Massa (Williams)
  • Sergio Perez (Force India)
  • Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
  • Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso)
  • Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
Friday, July 22, 1600 hrs
  • Jock Clear (Ferrari)
  • Guenther Steiner (Haas)
  • Monisha Kaltenborn (Sauber)
  • James Key (Toro Rosso)
  • Pat Symonds (Williams)
  • Rémi Taffin (Renault)
I enjoyed the last driver's conference with Alonso and Hamilton. Seemed to be a bit different.