2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dren

Re: 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

I have a feeling Kvyat will accidentally win this one.
Honda!

flickerf1

I have a gut feeling that Jenson might possibly win this. 2006: 1st, 2011: 1st and 2016: ?? Every five years he's won. With there being a threat of rain, I could see a miracle happening.
The Wicked + The Divine.

ChrisDanger

It was all systems go in a sunny Hungarian valley earlier today.

Sauce (for even more photos)

basti313

dren wrote:I have a feeling Kvyat will accidentally win this one.
Good choice.

My bet is Palmer. The Renault might be as mighty as usually the McLaren when it rains. :!:
Don`t russel the hamster!

Ozan

I'm a HAM fan but I hope Kimi will win this race

zeph

flickerf1 wrote:I have a gut feeling that Jenson might possibly win this. 2006: 1st, 2011: 1st and 2016: ?? Every five years he's won. With there being a threat of rain, I could see a miracle happening.
:roll:
Except in 2001 he spun off...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Hu ... Grand_Prix

ChrisDanger

Track limits will be enforced electronically this weekend, at least at turns 4 and 11. I hope their use will become more widespread in future. Maybe then we can focus on the racing instead of tedious arguments about the inconsistency and fairness of fallible human stewards.

flickerf1

zeph wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:I have a gut feeling that Jenson might possibly win this. 2006: 1st, 2011: 1st and 2016: ?? Every five years he's won. With there being a threat of rain, I could see a miracle happening.
:roll:
Except in 2001 he spun off...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Hu ... Grand_Prix
Yeah, but I meant post 2006. I wasn't taking into account the years before.
The Wicked + The Divine.

ChrisDanger

Just an update on Rosberg's gearbox: there is no update really, until they test it out. 5-second penalty still possible.
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/756050849424613376

iotar__

ChrisDanger wrote:Track limits will be enforced electronically this weekend, at least at turns 4 and 11. I hope their use will become more widespread in future. Maybe then we can focus on the racing instead of tedious arguments about the inconsistency and fairness of fallible human stewards.
Are they worried that without sensors they might miss another Alonso Abu Dhabi incident :-) ? It makes it automatic but doesn't change much, determining if someone was off wasn't a problem most of the time. How about crash sensors for those small crashes and penalties missed or even better head in the sand sensors?

Pierce89

sosic2121 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
sosic2121 wrote: He really was something special. You have to back to the beginning of his career to understand how good he was.
Senna believed Benetton was cheating/having traction control, since he couldn't understand how could he be so quick.
Benetton did have traction control. The entire paddock knew it. The FIA looked at the car and found traction control code which Benetton claimed was legacy code from testing but wasn't raced. FIA couldn't prove illegality so Benetton got away with it.

Schuie was bloody good, it must be said, but his results record needs to be seen in light of the politics of the day. Bespoke tyres, unlimited testing, Number 1 status etc. He still had to turn that in to results, of course, but the lack of a challenger on the other side of the garage made that a lot easier.

Would Schuie have done so well with Senna, Prost, Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton in the other car? Nope.
none of them would be equal to Schumacher in a same car. also, he won more than one championship with inferior car.
In 2006, Shumi had the fastest car but the Samurai took the WDC.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Vasconia

Pierce89 wrote: In 2006, Shumi had the fastest car but the Samurai took the WDC.
Ferrari was only faster(at least Schumi) during the last part of the championship. Renault was clearly the best car in the first half, then a more balanced competition and finally a stronger Ferrari(not with rain, where they s*cked).

flickerf1

Pierce89 wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: Benetton did have traction control. The entire paddock knew it. The FIA looked at the car and found traction control code which Benetton claimed was legacy code from testing but wasn't raced. FIA couldn't prove illegality so Benetton got away with it.

Schuie was bloody good, it must be said, but his results record needs to be seen in light of the politics of the day. Bespoke tyres, unlimited testing, Number 1 status etc. He still had to turn that in to results, of course, but the lack of a challenger on the other side of the garage made that a lot easier.

Would Schuie have done so well with Senna, Prost, Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton in the other car? Nope.
none of them would be equal to Schumacher in a same car. also, he won more than one championship with inferior car.
Michael had an engine failure in Japan and Fernando won. In Brazil, Michael had a puncture and finished fourth. It wasn't as clear as you're making it out to be.
The Wicked + The Divine.

ChrisDanger

iotar__ wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:Track limits will be enforced electronically this weekend, at least at turns 4 and 11. I hope their use will become more widespread in future. Maybe then we can focus on the racing instead of tedious arguments about the inconsistency and fairness of fallible human stewards.
Are they worried that without sensors they might miss another Alonso Abu Dhabi incident :-) ? It makes it automatic but doesn't change much, determining if someone was off wasn't a problem most of the time. How about crash sensors for those small crashes and penalties missed or even better head in the sand sensors?
Well, how much is "most of the time"? No human is going to be as infallible as an electronic sensor. A single human error would result in claims of inconsistencies and unfairness by the stewards. That was simply my point, and limited only to track limits.

Your inevitable problem with other incidents is another matter entirely, since looking at the debate happening after past race incidences these can be very subjective.

LionKing

flickerf1 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
sosic2121 wrote: none of them would be equal to Schumacher in a same car. also, he won more than one championship with inferior car.
Michael had an engine failure in Japan and Fernando won. In Brazil, Michael had a puncture and finished fourth. It wasn't as clear as you're making it out to be.
Plus, Renault started the season as the fastest car and they won 7 of 9 races and had 6 poles. By the time Ferrari got the advantage, the damage was already done, Alonso being 25 points in front of Schumi.