Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

two different wings right?

Not how the elements are split near the end plate from the top view, and from the bottom view they seem to be fused together at the end.
For Sure!!

Morteza

Finally the season is over. W07 had a phenomenal one. The car won 19/21 races. It has a bigger win/race ratio than both W05 and W06 =D> =D> =D>
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan

And still people think that the Mercedes is just about the engine. It's obviously the best car in the round with excellent engine, downforce, driveability and tyre use.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313

Morteza wrote:Finally the season is over. W07 had a phenomenal one. The car won 19/21 races. It has a bigger win/race ratio than both W05 and W06 =D> =D> =D>
And the most reliable car in F1 history!
Don`t russel the hamster!

Gettingonabit

basti313 wrote:
Morteza wrote: And the most reliable car in F1 history!
Not for Hamilton! :lol:

Mamba

basti313 wrote: And the most reliable car in F1 history!
Nope, one DNF for HAM. Did the F2004 not have a 100% reliability record?

marvin78

No. It had 2 DNFs in 2004 and 2 in 2005 (2 races).

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F2004

PlatinumZealot

So this is Rosberg' WDC car now.

It certainly seemed to like Nico a lot better than Lewis.

I think the W05 and W06 were better cars in their respective years. More reliable and more dominant. W07 had less weak tracks but plagued with PU issues.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Gothrek

PlatinumZealot wrote:So this is Rosberg' WDC car now.

It certainly seemed to like Nico a lot better than Lewis.

I think the W05 and W06 were better cars in their respective years. More reliable and more dominant. W07 had less weak tracks but plagued with PU issues.
The W07 was one the most reliable cars ever in F1.

carisi2k

Just_a_fan wrote:And still people think that the Mercedes is just about the engine. It's obviously the best car in the round with excellent engine, downforce, driveability and tyre use.
The Mercedes isn't just about the engine but the engine advantage it has doesn't hurt when compared to Red Bull. If the RB12 had a Mercedes engine instead of a Renault, do you really think the RB12 would have only won 2 races this year? Look at all the power circuits where Red Bull was running skinny wings and still losing time down the straights to Merc powered cars with larger rear wings.

I'm not saying that the W07 is a bad chassis. I believe it is the best or at least the equal best with the Red Bull chassis on the grid. My point is that the engine allows the chassis to shine and that it does provide an advantage over Ferrari, Renault and Honda in terms of power, economy and packaging.

PhillipM

carisi2k wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:And still people think that the Mercedes is just about the engine. It's obviously the best car in the round with excellent engine, downforce, driveability and tyre use.
The Mercedes isn't just about the engine but the engine advantage it has doesn't hurt when compared to Red Bull. If the RB12 had a Mercedes engine instead of a Renault, do you really think the RB12 would have only won 2 races this year? Look at all the power circuits where Red Bull was running skinny wings and still losing time down the straights to Merc powered cars with larger rear wings.

I'm not saying that the W07 is a bad chassis. I believe it is the best or at least the equal best with the Red Bull chassis on the grid. My point is that the engine allows the chassis to shine and that it does provide an advantage over Ferrari, Renault and Honda in terms of power, economy and packaging.
If the RB12 had the Mercedes engine, it wouldn't have the aero performance it currently enjoys, this is the same silly arguement that was had when RB was dominating even though they had a little less power than the others at the time - it wasn't the RB aero making up for the lack of power, the RB aero was a result of the great engine packaging that resulted in a lack of power.

carisi2k

PhillipM wrote:
carisi2k wrote:

If the RB12 had the Mercedes engine, it wouldn't have the aero performance it currently enjoys, this is the same silly arguement that was had when RB was dominating even though they had a little less power than the others at the time - it wasn't the RB aero making up for the lack of power, the RB aero was a result of the great engine packaging that resulted in a lack of power.

Rubbish. The Renault lacks horsepower and you know it and anybody who says otherwise is just kidding themselves. The advantage that Red Bull got during the V8 era was the blown diffuser which allowed them to be 10-20km/h faster then everybody else in corners. With that solution banned they no longer have that cornering advantage over a team like Mercedes.

The Mercedes engine is also seen as having the best packaging layout with it's split turbine engine and if you look closely at the RB12 it would have been almost the perfect chassis for a Mercedes engine. That air intake below the main intake is a piece of genius by red bull which would have been exacerbated with a Mercedes engine. It would easily have allowed them to at least be on equal terms with Mercedes this year.

Pierce89

Chill on the Newey boner. The intake below the main intake has been around for years on other cars.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

DiogoBrand

Pierce89 wrote:Chill on the Newey boner. The intake below the main intake has been around for years on other cars.
Also what's so groundbreaking about it?

Pierce89

DiogoBrand wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Chill on the Newey boner. The intake below the main intake has been around for years on other cars.
Also what's so groundbreaking about it?
I have no idea, but when other dude called it genius, I laughed a good one.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher