2017 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, April 28-30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mr.G

Re: 2017 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, April 28-30

zibby43 wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 09:56
Bill_Kar wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 15:57
Well, after 4 races Ferrari is the better car officially. Merc seems very confused and if they don't find the way to bounce back it's gonna be over before it starts.
Hamilton's putting one of his worst performance in Q and you can't blame solely the car.Even if it's good tomorrow, it won't be as good as Ferrari.

I really want to congratulate Ferrari.Great work and effort and to see them coming at the top after all this pressure, it surprises me in a good sense.
16 races to go after Russia and 1 new turbocharger left for both Vettel and Raikkonen. That's not ideal.

And no "stockpiling" of power unit elements this year, either.
Only Kimmi lost one turbo charger, the rest of them is OK and will be used. The only drawback is they have only one chance for update...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Xwang

If technically possible, can teams modify/rectify already used engine components in order to solve reliability issues without incurring in penalties?

Artur Craft

Juzh wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 23:35
Ferrari vs merc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN71jru5Tyo
Thanks Juzh! Can you access all cars telemetries through the F1 app?

I'm curious to see what will be the gap between RB and the top 2 race pace. I'm sure it will be much less than on QLF. Maybe even under 1s. Also curious to see the race pace of Bottas, who was faster than Ham during FP2 race sim. It's one thing to give team orders when the driver behind is a lot faster, but it's completely another to ask for a driver, with faster pace, to go slower so that his team mate can catch up and overtake him to get more points for the tittle battle. It will be scandalous if the later happens today, imo. :D

Mr.G

Xwang wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 11:29
If technically possible, can teams modify/rectify already used engine components in order to solve reliability issues without incurring in penalties?
Nope.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

giantfan10

zibby43 wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 09:56
Bill_Kar wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 15:57
Well, after 4 races Ferrari is the better car officially. Merc seems very confused and if they don't find the way to bounce back it's gonna be over before it starts.
Hamilton's putting one of his worst performance in Q and you can't blame solely the car.Even if it's good tomorrow, it won't be as good as Ferrari.

I really want to congratulate Ferrari.Great work and effort and to see them coming at the top after all this pressure, it surprises me in a good sense.
16 races to go after Russia and 1 new turbocharger left for both Vettel and Raikkonen. That's not ideal.

And no "stockpiling" of power unit elements this year, either.
There is exactly one damaged turbocharger which was on Kimis car... according to Ferrari the turbos they changed out other than the one that kimi damaged was planned and can be reused and upgraded in the next upgrade cycle.. much ado about nothing....or is it a Mercedes fan grasping at straws? : )

Just_a_fan

Artur Craft wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 11:49
It's one thing to give team orders when the driver behind is a lot faster, but it's completely another to ask for a driver, with faster pace, to go slower so that his team mate can catch up and overtake him to get more points for the tittle battle. It will be scandalous if the later happens today, imo. :D
I don't think it will happen today, at least not if Bottas is ahead and quicker than Hamilton. More likely is Hamilton being asked to move over and let a faster Bottas through if there's a sniff of a Mercedes win.

I think Lauda's team orders comments meant "we'll use team orders to secure team wins" not "we'll help one driver to the title at the expense of the other". Mercedes always puts the team win ahead of a particular driver win.

The team orders comment also makes it clear to Bottas and Hamilton that they need to be quick all the time. Every driver has an off weekend - Hamilton certainly has so far this weekend - but if they want to get the team behind them then they need to be consistent at all other times. I guess this is aimed more at Bottas as they know Hamilton is always fast (other than on his off days, if that makes sense).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

atanatizante

1. Why Ferrari went for the second time on SS in Q1 setting 1.38 times? They want to simulate (as Merc did in the past) the second stint in the race, isn`t it?
2. Could be now that Merc is doing what Ferrari does for the last couple of years, I mean they focuses solely on the race setup? With Merc having a poor S3 means : they have set the car for overtaking in the race (you could see they were fastest in S1) having a stiff car suspension as you could see yesterday Di Resta was show on Skypad how Lewis` head wobbles at turn 8 and 15. This stiff car doesn`t help with traction and that`s why they were sliding in the last turns in S3. Another reason could be the setup an overstereeing car to be neutral in the race when is fully fueled and not to overheat these US rear tyres ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Phil

Regardless how this race goes, I hope Kimi has a good one. I felt he should have put it on pole yesterday and I hope for him he has a great race result.

Gonna be interesting to see how the Merc perform in race pace. I think they might be strong. Big question is who will be quick between Bottas and Hamilton. Hope Hamilton and Bottas have good and clean race starts. If either end out of position after T2, it's gonna be a long and potentially cruel race (in damage limitation) no matter how fast they are.

It would be nice to see a close race between Ferrari and Mercedes.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

godlameroso

Palmer is done, they can't get rid of him fast enough IMO. Bottas P1, really hope he converts it this time, he's been fast all weekend.
Saishū kōnā

Wass85

I hope Hamilton doesn't hold Bottas up when he comes up to lap him......

Juzh

He is still consistently slower by quite a margin in S3, as he was in Q.

Juzh

Also, merc 0.5s faster in S1 than ferrari. So yeah, ferrari definitely on the same power levels as the merc. /s

gandharva

Sotschi delivers... Most boring race so far.

matt_b

Wow 25 laps down and no overtakes after lap 1 #-o

Juzh

Artur Craft wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 11:49
Juzh wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 23:35
Ferrari vs merc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN71jru5Tyo
Can you access all cars telemetries through the F1 app?
You can, yes.