2017 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, April 28-30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Xwang

Re: 2017 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, April 28-30

How the different ambient and track temperatures and wind have influenced the performance of Ferrari and Mercedes with respect to what was the "race" simulation in FPs?
Today cars have gone faster or slower?
It seem to me that the higher track has somewhat resolved the problem of Mercedes with tyre temperature especially in S3.
Do you agree?

Frafer

Very solid race from bottas, as i ferrari fan i enjoyed watching the last 10 laps of chasing, btw i still believe there's some room for a discussion about drs zones, no overtaking at all is a bit boring for those of whom aren't interested in strategies and fuel managment, and there is a lot out there
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

The_table

Does anyone here think that increasing DRS range from 1 sec to like 1.2-1.5 might be a good idea since so many drivers are complaining that it is harder to follow cars this year? :-k

Frafer

The_table wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 23:14
Does anyone here think that increasing DRS range from 1 sec to like 1.2-1.5 might be a good idea since so many drivers are complaining that it is harder to follow cars this year? :-k
Yep, that could work
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

edu2703

I'm sick of those Vettel and Ferrari fanboys crying on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter saying that Massa cost Vettel the win!

Frafer

edu2703 wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 23:21
I'm sick of those Vettel and Ferrari fanboys crying on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter saying that Massa cost Vettel the win!
"leave them alone, they don't know what they'are doing"

Edax

The_table wrote:
Mounting guns on the cars and incorporating some lit patches in the road surface to activate them would do the trick. :D I am afraid that's what it takes to make this track interesting.

You get overtakes when you have a long enough straight preceded by a corner with a challenging exit. DRS is just there to give the final push. This track isn't remotely challenging enough to make mistakes.

Xwang

I think it would be better to forbid carbon brakes and use steel (or ceramic) ones to lengthen the braking zone.

dans79

edu2703 wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 23:21
Ignore them, they are the lowbrow members of the fan base, who don't understand that one of the reasons Vettel was catching Bottas, was because Bottas was also slowed/hindered by being behind Massa.
Last edited by dans79 on 01 May 2017, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

Moose

The_table wrote:
Long story short - no.

I don't care if it's hard to follow, I care if it destroys your tires to follow. This year, it doesn't.

That means that people can get close, and stay close, and battle with the person in front of them.

I don't want to see people get close, and then blast past. I want to see people get close, fight for a while, and maybe get past, depending on how they race.

giantfan10

wickedz50 wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 17:16
Ferrari was so much in joy from securing the 1-2 qualifying result that they forgot about the start today.. I felt Vettel was too casual at the start and was caught napping even after the safety car start..somebody needs to remind them that Bothas is not Palmer. Just by finishing ahead of Hamilton will not win then the WDC and WCC...Bothas will be crucial so please Ferrari start covering that danger too and not leave the door open.
A 15 kph headwind and a 1 k drag race to the first braking zone... the car behind is in the catbird seat....slipstream FTW... its would have probably been the the opposite result if Ferrari were on the second row...
Bottas was smart enough to tuck in behind Vettel from the start.... i suspected this would be the result after qualifying....only surprise to me was that hamilton gained no advantage.

SR71

Xwang wrote:
01 May 2017, 00:23
I think it would be better to forbid carbon brakes and use steel (or ceramic) ones to lengthen the braking zone.
I keep hearing this myth repeated.

From what I understand F1 stopping power is mostly drag. Changing brake materials will have little impact and engineers will quickly solve the slight drop in performance anyways.

zibby43

giantfan10 wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 12:11
There is exactly one damaged turbocharger which was on Kimis car... according to Ferrari the turbos they changed out other than the one that kimi damaged was planned and can be reused and upgraded in the next upgrade cycle.. much ado about nothing....or is it a Mercedes fan grasping at straws? : )
It's either that or a Ferrari fan buying the Ferrari PR statements as the gospel. I'll let you pick. :) If it's the latter, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm interested in selling. :mrgreen:

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
01 May 2017, 03:21
giantfan10 wrote:
There is exactly one damaged turbocharger which was on Kimis car... according to Ferrari the turbos they changed out other than the one that kimi damaged was planned and can be reused and upgraded in the next upgrade cycle.. much ado about nothing....or is it a Mercedes fan grasping at straws? : )
It's either that or a Ferrari fan buying the Ferrari PR statements as the gospel. I'll let you pick. :) If it's the latter, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm interested in selling. :mrgreen:
Parts can't be upgraded, I don't know why people think they can be, they can only be replaced or reused. Additionally, you only get 4 total for the entire season.
197 104 103 7

giantfan10

dans79 wrote:
01 May 2017, 03:32
zibby43 wrote:
01 May 2017, 03:21
giantfan10 wrote:
Parts can't be upgraded, I don't know why people think they can be, they can only be replaced or reused. Additionally, you only get 4 total for the entire season.
If with their next upgrade package Ferrari chooses to upgrade the turbo then they can and will upgrade the used undamaged turbos . The end