2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mclaren111

Re: 2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

Manoah2u wrote:
06 May 2017, 21:46
Mclaren will spoon in a one-off-experimental 'super-engine' that is built to last only 1 race and not a mile more than the entire grand prix distance, and will be so powerfull that despite getting a grid penalty for changing engine after qually, he'll rocket through the entire field and win the Spanish GP with a 50 second lead on Vettel, and after passing the finish line, the engine will decompose itself after 100 m's. there will still be enough fuel in the engine so there can't be any punishments.

Mclaren will do so for the remainder of the season and Alonso becomes WDC in 2017 with Mclaren.

HA!

one can dream.
I like your thinking !! :D :lol: :D

Manoah2u

To be honest, i'm actually wondering if it wouldn't be actually possible to do so, though i'm fairly certain the fuel flow amount prevents such a thing.

supposedly they are limited to 4 or 5 engines during a season, if they don't comply, they 'simply' get a grid penalty.
the question then becomes, what if we decide to raise a finger to that regulation, and investigate if building one engine for each race could be worth it, if it can bring enough
gain to compensate the grid loss.

Again, the fuel flow regulation surely prevents that, but knowing the engine is 'compromised' in certain areas since they must live longer, then one could argue that you could
make the engine lighter, and a tad more fragile, and make for example the turbo spin so hard, have the exhaust so hot, have everything on such breaking point (ala colin chapman theorem),
that when the finish flag is waved, it's done it's job and allowed to crack. there's surely a benefit there to be made, question is, is that benifit big enough to compensate the penalty?

If i'm correct, any usage of a 5th one of any engine-related object, will give a 10-place grid penalty. that also goes for the 6th one. I'm not sure whether that means that for example. they completely destroyed their entire unit for spain when the finish flag drops, then they'll mount a new engine for Monaco. that includes the MGU units, the Turbo, the ICE, etc.
will they 'only' be given a 10-place grid penalty, or will they ALSO get another 5-place grid penalty for the MGU/Turbo etc. meaning; a 15 grid place penalty or a 20 place grid penalty?

if it is 'just' a 10-place grid penalty, that would mean that if they are able to get P1 during Qually, Alonso would start from P10. he then has to make certain power to be able to pass the 9 cars in front on speed/power alone. If he gets a total grid penalty that leaves him up to p20, then he must have a car/engine that is able to compensate those 19 spots in front of him, that's 10 spots more to compensate.

offcourse the engine also must be homologated.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

Manoah2u wrote:
06 May 2017, 21:46
Mclaren will spoon in a one-off-experimental 'super-engine' that is built to last only 1 race and not a mile more than the entire grand prix distance, and will be so powerfull that despite getting a grid penalty for changing engine after qually, he'll rocket through the entire field and win the Spanish GP with a 50 second lead on Vettel, and after passing the finish line, the engine will decompose itself after 100 m's. there will still be enough fuel in the engine so there can't be any punishments.

Mclaren will do so for the remainder of the season and Alonso becomes WDC in 2017 with Mclaren.

HA!

one can dream.
=D>

Might actually be worth a punt.

Osmium bearings.
Berylium connecting rods.
Extended battery storage.
Car weight 600kg. (with EM interupter to mess with the scale readings)
FIA will never find out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1316

Here's something I don't fully get: Ferrari's tyre useage in quali.

They always do:
1. Q1 on the middle compound tyre
2. Two runs in Q2 on the softer compound

Ok, I get the first part - why use up your fastest tyre if you don't need to. But why throw that tyre saved away when you don't need to? They're almost always completely safe into Q3 by this point, and yet they do it every single race.

I can only think it's something to do with preparing race tyres - although I still don't get why. They can do one run and still go easy on the tyres, with a comfortable margin to everyone bar Mercedes. So what does the second run achieve?

I get that most of the time this year it's going to be a one stop, but in China, for example, they really would have benefited from that extra set of new SS in the race but they didn't have them because they threw them away in Q2. And you never know, right? Why not have that set of tyres in your pocket, given you've gone to the effort of doing Q1 on harder tyres.

I just don't get what they're trying to achieve - maybe just an extra practice run before Q3?

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
07 May 2017, 10:38
I wouldn´t say fight, but parity :wink:

This season similar cars simply can´t fight, they have problems to become within 1 second of a lapped car, imagine if it´s not a lapped car but a car with a similar pace...

This is going to be, togheter with past Russian GP, one of the most boring GPs ever

Maybe some car will be close to some other, but it will be similar to Imola 05, people at the edge of their chairs assuming they´re watching a fight while in the real world they both were cruising because an overtake is out of reach and only a mistake from the car in front can make it possible, so his driver is just cruising to avoid any mistake, and the car behind is doing 2 seconds slower laptimes than possible but without any chance to overtake

This is current F1 #-o
Or fight in the distance. :D

Well, this is what F1 was during many years, where cars used pit stops to overtake, because it was way easier. We are just only back to what it was in the 00´s and 90´s.

Both Imola´s were excting because the smallest mistake could have changed the lead, but yes, to overtake was almost imposible.

Barcelona is always a lame race(well, last year was better than usual). Rain could change everything but I guess it will be dry and hot, as always. Ahhhh I would like if they would redesing the hole track.

f1316

This is the first time I've heard that most of Mercedes weight issues are caused by the gearbox:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... is-concept

iotar__

f1316 wrote:
08 May 2017, 09:54
This is the first time I've heard that most of Mercedes weight issues are caused by the gearbox:

- is the new gearbox ~6 kg lighter :wink: ?
- "suspension changes front and rear" =P~

itwasntme

Gearbox change without grid penalty? They cannot the gearbox for another 2 races

dans79

itwasntme wrote:
08 May 2017, 17:39
Gearbox change without grid penalty? They cannot the gearbox for another 2 races
it depends if the issue is the actual mechanical gearbox, or the outer carbon fiber skin/wrapping Merc has run for several years.

check this out, where Scarabs explains it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUCapV3p2J4
197 104 103 7

giantfan10

iotar__ wrote:
08 May 2017, 14:16
f1316 wrote:

Now we really get to see if Mercedes are as great as some say with in season development....
Building an overweight car coming into this season with the assumption that they would cruise around at the front like they did in 2014- 2016 doesnt really bode well in the confidence in Mercedes dept.
how did the great mercedes get so much so wrong when all i have heard for the past 3 years is how their team is full of genuises?
hope their updates work : )

GPR-A duplicate2

giantfan10 wrote:
08 May 2017, 18:48
iotar__ wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Now we really get to see if Mercedes are as great as some say with in season development....
Building an overweight car coming into this season with the assumption that they would cruise around at the front like they did in 2014- 2016 doesnt really bode well in the confidence in Mercedes dept.
how did the great mercedes get so much so wrong when all i have heard for the past 3 years is how their team is full of genuises?
I bet you, it would be nowhere near the 70% new car of 2015, you know who. :D

Redragon

If Bottas win or is in front of Hamilton and Hamilton gets problems or doesn't manage to perform for any reason, get ready for the beginning of Hamilton - Mercedes divorce

giantfan10

GPR-A wrote:
08 May 2017, 19:55
giantfan10 wrote:
08 May 2017, 18:48
iotar__ wrote:
I bet you, it would be nowhere near the 70% new car of 2015, you know who. :D
Yea we all know about Ferrari nor being competitive in 2015.... the same Ferrari that several said stunk you being the leading man on that front :)
Its now 2017 and nobody can tell me with a straight face that Mercedes does or doesnt have great in season development because with the advantage they came into the 2014 season with they could have probably ran a barn door as a rear wing and still won. basically ANYTHING they bolted on their car between 2014 and 2016 resulted in a win anyway so how do you calibrate their in season development?
As far as Barcelona i predict no passing on track and if there is any passing it ill be in the pits.....here is a bold prediction : ) either Vettel or Hamilton will win the race... i also predict red bull being at least 8 tenths behind the leading teams in qualifying. If correlation is really the issue that has to be the fastest correlation fix ever : )

PlatinumZealot

f1316 wrote:
07 May 2017, 22:43

They always do:

Ok, I get the first part - why use up your fastest tyre if you don't need to. But why throw that tyre saved away when you don't need to? They're almost always completely safe into Q3 by this point, and yet they do it every single race.

I can only think it's something to do with preparing race tyres - although I still don't get why. They can do one run and still go easy on the tyres, with a comfortable margin to everyone bar Mercedes. So what does the second run achieve?

I get that most of the time this year it's going to be a one stop, but in China, for example, they really would have benefited from that extra set of new SS in the race but they didn't have them because they threw them away in Q2. And you never know, right? Why not have that set of tyres in your pocket, given you've gone to the effort of doing Q1 on harder tyres.

I just don't get what they're trying to achieve - maybe just an extra practice run before Q3?
Kimi said they do it as extra preparation for Q3. Don't know if he is telling the truth here.

Not entirely clear if they do some sort of Power unit calibration or something.... Or heat cyling of race tyres.. Still a mystery.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

DVB

f1316 wrote:
07 May 2017, 22:43

They always do:

It was said by Ferrrari that they are looking for the best tire available. Sometimes tires have a little bit extra in them and they are looking for what's the best one. Vettel aborted a fast lap in Q2 one time and he said the other tires felt better so he wanted to start the race on those.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.