2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

Re: 2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

In other news...

Press conference schedule:

Drivers
Thurs, 11 May 1500hrs
Part 1:
  • Fernando Alonso (McLaren)
  • Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso)
  • Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
Part 2:
  • Marcus Ericsson (Sauber)
  • Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
  • Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
Team Personnel
Friday, 12 May 1600hrs
Part 1:
  • Cyril Abiteboul (Renault)
  • Robert Fernley (Force India)
  • Toto Wolff (Mercedes)
Part 2:
  • Maurizio Arrivabene (Ferrari)
  • Christian Horner (Red Bull)
  • Monisha Kaltenborn (Sauber)

Artur Craft

BosF1 wrote:
03 May 2017, 11:12
We got the best drivers in the world, in the fastest cornering cars ever build, yet they aren't able to closely follow each other because of that downforce.
It's not my intention to be picky or pedantic with your post but the first claim is debatable(how can we know that Dixon, Power or Lotterer, for instance, are worse drivers than say Vettel?!) and the second one is incorrect, as shown here.

More to the point, it's tougher to get closely behind but not that impossible. Russia was a bad impression of it, imo. We could see some very nice racing on China and Bahrain. Barcelona will, as always, be impossible to pass but we can't blame solely the new aero for that. I think we'll see some nice racing again when F1 goes to Canada.
CBeck113 wrote:
03 May 2017, 13:52
RB still in no-man's land (I wonder if Adrian has figured out what Ferrari has done with their sidepods? Sorry.... :-) ), Ric in front of Verstappen for a change.
Newey is not to blame. The car is already fast on the corners(you can check it here and here), it just lacks power.
baybars wrote:
03 May 2017, 09:22
If true (new Redbull )The word/rumour is 1 second per lap quicker (based on simulator data).
I am not sure is it enough for podium
I doubt they will improve that much, but if they will, it will be enough to fight for pole and win(as long as Ferrari and Mercedes improves little), imo. Which is why I don't see it happening. But I think RB will be within 0.5s on QLF, if the car is really an "RB14"

daniellammers

Artur Craft wrote:
10 May 2017, 20:13
BosF1 wrote:
03 May 2017, 11:12
We got the best drivers in the world, in the fastest cornering cars ever build, yet they aren't able to closely follow each other because of that downforce.
It's not my intention to be picky or pedantic with your post but the first claim is debatable(how can we know that Dixon, Power or Lotterer, for instance, are worse drivers than say Vettel?!) and the second one is incorrect, as shown here.

More to the point, it's tougher to get closely behind but not that impossible. Russia was a bad impression of it, imo. We could see some very nice racing on China and Bahrain. Barcelona will, as always, be impossible to pass but we can't blame solely the new aero for that. I think we'll see some nice racing again when F1 goes to Canada.
CBeck113 wrote:
03 May 2017, 13:52
RB still in no-man's land (I wonder if Adrian has figured out what Ferrari has done with their sidepods? Sorry.... :-) ), Ric in front of Verstappen for a change.
Newey is not to blame. The car is already fast on the corners(you can check it here and here), it just lacks power.
baybars wrote:
03 May 2017, 09:22
If true (new Redbull )The word/rumour is 1 second per lap quicker (based on simulator data).
I am not sure is it enough for podium
I doubt they will improve that much, but if they will, it will be enough to fight for pole and win(as long as Ferrari and Mercedes improves little), imo. Which is why I don't see it happening. But I think RB will be within 0.5s on QLF, if the car is really an "RB14"
The RB14 thingy is out of the world, Red Bull confirmed themselves.
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

Juzh

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:
11 May 2017, 15:11
Hard tiers as useless as predicted

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pere ... es-904199/
As Perez says "too many maybes", it sould be extra hot to make them work.

Gothrek

Looking at all the updates that Mercedes has brought, I think we can have 2 options for the race (and the rest of the season):
- Mercedes starts dominating again
- Ferrari & Mercedes stay close

I hoping for the last one, but fear the first one.

Schuttelberg

Merc updates look scary. No wonder Lauda was so smug!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

giantfan10

Schuttelberg wrote:
11 May 2017, 22:40
So did the car they started the season with and look how that turned out....the proof is on the track not in how many winglets and other bits u can put on your car

cplchanb

why are there some cars in the field with no driver names on the side profile of the car (RB, Ferr, FI etc),
Isnt it mandated now to have that like merc, wil and Haas?

BanMeToo

Schuttelberg wrote:
It's really ominous. We'll have to see what happens on track.

Hammerfist

giantfan10 wrote:
12 May 2017, 00:41
Schuttelberg wrote:
So did the car they started the season with and look how that turned out....the proof is on the track not in how many winglets and other bits u can put on your car
Well it turned out they are leading the constructors championship with 2 wins. Not bad. Just because the Ferrari is probably just as fast as the Merc doesn't make the latter not scary. Just ask the rest of the field.

GPR-A duplicate2

giantfan10 wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Experience teaches a man great deal of things. That 70% new car of 2015, has helped many people to keep emotions in check (don't count ya chickens....) and wait until it does what it is designed to do. Very noble thoughts. :)

giantfan10

GPR-A wrote:
12 May 2017, 07:11
giantfan10 wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Experience teaches a man great deal of things. That 70% new car of 2015, has helped many people to keep emotions in check (don't count ya chickens....) and wait until it does what it is designed to do. Very noble thoughts. :)
You have worn that one out...
So Mercedes was the first of the frontrunning teams to blink and apply their engine update to go along with an engine change.
Interesting... i wonder what the next move will be if Ferrari ends up on the top step of the podium... again.
Anybody else of the opinion that the mercedes chassis looks like a convoluted mess ?

Thunder

Aaaand Fernando parked his Car after a few Corners on the Outlap. Great Start.....

Lots of smoke and fluid leaking out of the Car according to AMuS.....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

RZS10

it kept leaking whilst being moved off track, couldn't get it into neutral Image
which of the fluids is yellow?

Vettel says his gearbox broke.

Here's the current PU parts with changes in red numbers, i think we can add more stuff to ALO for FP2