2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

George-Jung wrote:
13 May 2017, 18:13
f1316 wrote:
13 May 2017, 18:10
Without getting into the blah blah that this usually descends into, I think you've got to say that - given all the setbacks, old PU - Bottas is continuing to look strong; very impressive to be so close.

I also wonder if there's a different wing level at play here; Ferrari are faster in the high speed sections + topping the apples trap, but slower in the twisty stuff - when facing a Mercedes PU that I think it's fair to say most think is still a little bit stronger - and it implies to me they're running less downforce. This may have been in an attempt to keep the tyres lasting a bit better tomorrow.
If i am not mistaken S3 is more about mechanical grip than downforce..
Well I think that's kinda difficult to separate - at Monaco you'll slap on maximum downforce because it helps on slow corners; similarly, if you took only S3, the downforce level would be much higher than over the whole lap. Why? Because a car with a lot of downforce will grip the surface more. It'd be draggy, but that doesn't matter so much without long straight (all of which I'm sure you know).

(Btw 'apples trap' is a bizarre autocorrect! Obviously I meant 'speed trap').

GPR-A duplicate2

f1316 wrote:
13 May 2017, 18:36
George-Jung wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Without getting into the blah blah that this usually descends into, I think you've got to say that - given all the setbacks, old PU - Bottas is continuing to look strong; very impressive to be so close.

I also wonder if there's a different wing level at play here; Ferrari are faster in the high speed sections + topping the apples trap, but slower in the twisty stuff - when facing a Mercedes PU that I think it's fair to say most think is still a little bit stronger - and it implies to me they're running less downforce. This may have been in an attempt to keep the tyres lasting a bit better tomorrow.
Well I think that's kinda difficult to separate - at Monaco you'll slap on maximum downforce because it helps on slow corners; similarly, if you took only S3, the downforce level would be much higher than over the whole lap. Why? Because a car with a lot of downforce will grip the surface more. It'd be draggy, but that doesn't matter so much without long straight (all of which I'm sure you know).
Right. And because the DRS is lengthened by 100 mts, would help reduce that drag that bit more.

Gilles27Kimi7
Gilles27Kimi7

Vettel is using his 4th TC, but the 1st ICE.

siskue2005

f1316 wrote:
13 May 2017, 18:36
George-Jung wrote:
f1316 wrote:

(Btw 'apples trap' is a bizarre autocorrect! Obviously I meant 'speed trap').
Sector 3 is about mechanical grip. The suspension roll and pitch, direction changin ability of the car and traction. These r the things u require in sector 3. Which is similar to Monaco. Also downforce do help but these mechanical grips have a major role.
Even in 2013 Merc were faster in S3 at Spain and also won Monaco race with pole

Juzh

Merc has been the best in S3 in spain for a loooong time now. It's no surprise really they're the best again. Ricciardo did get pole in monaco last year though, even though they were not on merc's level in S3 in spain.

ripper
ripper

As I already said vettel admitted that he is not good in last chicane, tomorrow I fear that bottas using qualy mode will pass the German. Lets hope for a great race!

Schuttelberg

Unfortunately, we get the C4 feed in India. Dear me, where can I watch Sky?

On to the race itself, VB is doing his bit and keeping SV in check. Ferrari need to take a look at that second seat. The WCC is not in good shape because of it and very soon the Bulls will begin to put KR in P5-P6!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

DVB

Just Google, live stream f1 barcelona, and you will be fine. Make sure to use Adblocker. Pick the one with circ or cric in the beginning of the url. That one works great.

Fingers crossed for a pass from Vettel on Hamilton at the start. Im curious how that Merc performs in dirty air.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

F1Krof

Who's looking strong in long runs?
Wroom wroom

ClarkBT11

Before the change of psi in the tyres it was.

1. Bottas
2. Hamilton
3. Rai
4. Vettel

Ferrari being more gentle on the rubber, it might benefit them more in the race and be closer than it was in FP2. Or possibly Mercedes new PU with better reliability can push their engine more because they were looking quicker on the long runs.

dans79

Does anyone else think the top 6 or so guys could have gone faster?

I've reviewed several of the Q3 laps and sector times, and it looks the tires gave out on pretty much everyone at the front.
197 104 103 7

ClarkBT11

dans79 wrote:
13 May 2017, 23:47
Does anyone else think the top 6 or so guys could have gone faster?

I've reviewed several of the Q3 laps and sector times, and it looks the tires gave out on pretty much everyone at the front.
The wind was a bit of a lottery today( same in Jerez on Moto GP last week), also stopping the rear tyres overheating for S3 was the best strategy.

godlameroso

Isn't the front left tire the one that suffers the most? I'm almost sure of it, Vettel pushed the front left too hard, which cost him on the final 3 corners, where Hamilton balanced it by sacrificing a bit at the start of the lap.

It's going to be an interesting race, will Alonso hold off everyone else, or will he fall behind in the race? Which of the front runners will have the right strategy? Safety car shenanigans? Two stopper tire wear issues? The odd cloud?

I think the Ferrari and Mercedes is still too close to call, the cars are faster than each other in different ways.
Saishū kōnā

siskue2005

Juzh wrote:
13 May 2017, 20:48
Merc has been the best in S3 in spain for a loooong time now. It's no surprise really they're the best again. Ricciardo did get pole in monaco last year though, even though they were not on merc's level in S3 in spain.
That was because Lewis car broke down after q2 in Monaco 2016. Otherwise he was set to get pole there

siskue2005

DVB wrote:
13 May 2017, 22:58
Fingers crossed for a pass from Vettel on Hamilton at the start. Im curious how that Merc performs in dirty air.
What is there to know. Current car cannot follow each other. It wI'll be like Russia Zero overtakes