2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
carisi2k

Re: 2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

siskue2005 wrote:
15 May 2017, 06:23

The rule says that u need to run two different compounds at least 1 RACING lap. Safety car or Virtual SC Period won't count as a racing lap. Just like u can't take a penalty during a SC or VSC
That is not the case at all. 1 Racing lap is 1 racing lap regardless of whether it is under green, the safety car or the VSC. It is not at all like a penalty

siskue2005

One racing lap is racing under green.
It was done so that people won't come to pit twice during a SC or VSC to get ride of the slow compund

The VSC rule was added last year

These rules are the same from 10 years ago when Bridgestone introduced it

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 May 2017, 03:04
Restomaniac wrote:
15 May 2017, 01:57
Better tyre management? Remind me which car did over 30 laps on soft tyres today and which car had far better long run pace in FP1, FP2 & FP3?
We didnt get to see the full extent of ferrari becuase of tyre differential and the forced strategy. But you could tell by Hamilton having overheating tyres that if he had a straight fight with Vet he would have lost.
Are you trying to suggest that Ferrari would have done a better job on those soft tyres?
Go back and look at the Qualy onboard. FFS the evidence is right there if you want to see it.
Hamilton looks smooth at the end where as Vettel looks like he is fighting. How you can say someone who is fighting a car can have better tyre management than someone who isn't I have no idea.

The longer race pace belonged to Mercedes all weekend that was clear. To suggest otherwise with regard to your tyre Managment comment makes no sense.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 15 May 2017, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

ferkan
ferkan

Keep it in mind that Hamiltons S run started with less then half tank full, and was relatively light in last 15 laps. That makes world of difference as far as tire condition goes.

Its a big win for Merc given Ferrari was better car in Spain, but Vettel, having raced with engine that has already done 4 races and all practice session lost a bit too much in S1, like Bottas

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ferkan wrote:
15 May 2017, 08:14
Keep it in mind that Hamiltons S run started with less then half tank full, and was relatively light in last 15 laps. That makes world of difference as far as tire condition goes.

Its a big win for Merc given Ferrari was better car in Spain, but Vettel, having raced with engine that has already done 4 races and all practice session lost a bit too much in S1, like Bottas
Ferrari was the better car? When was that?
Long race pace in FP1/2/3 testing belonged to Mercedes, 30+ laps in 1 set of tyres, fastest Qualy lap. Vettel struggled to get past a slower Mercedes that's engine was as we now know about to go bang where as Hamilton went past Vettel 'like a train'. But Ferrari was the fastest car.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 15 May 2017, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

Vladimir
Vladimir

Interesting to see that lap comparatinon.Ferrari seams to have stronger PU, and S3 Hamilton advantage was due to the Seb mistake for sure.
Long wheel base on Mercedes will cost to much in Monaco too.
Scuderia are made great car.

f1316
f1316

I think it's fair to assume that the longer wheelbase Mercedes is always likely to be a more stable aerodynamic platform in long corners -I.e. Smoother - but the shorter, nimbler (possibly still lighter?) Ferrari will be a livelier car that is able to be thrown around a bit more. imo the style Lewis has to use with that car is a smooth one - it's too long to respond well to lively inputs - and vice verse with Seb in the Ferrari.

Nevertheless, I have maintained all year and still maintain that the Mercedes is the slightly faster car - not just in quali but in all conditions. The only time I've seen demonstrable a proof of the Mercedes not managing its tyres as well is in Australia (and Bottas with the wrong pressures in Bahrain) - otherwise I think it looks pretty equal.

In Spain Ferrari were quicker on fast corners and slower in slow ones; again - and I think you can see it - I think Mercedes was running more wing. They can afford more drag because they still have more power and perhaps even more so this weekend, when I think it's possible they could run higher power for longer (at least with Lewis).

So I think the Ferrari has a better downforce/drag ratio and that's allowing them to almost bridge the gap to Mercedes, despite still losing out a bit on power.

However, I also think there are two things suggesting they'll be stronger in Monaco:

i) if they were running less wing, they have more to add when they go to max df in Monaco

ii) I still can't see that limo turning well in the tight confines of the principality; they may have been good in s3 in Barcelona but I think it owes much to the wing level. Plus, and more importantly, S3 in Barcelona ain't Monaco - i just can't see the Mercedes working well at the hairpin or even in Anthony Nogues. I actually think the - shorter still - Red Bull will close in and put pressure on the Mercedes, with Ferrari out in front (at least with Seb; can imagine Kimi "struggling with the front end" as ever).

So I think the Mercedes is still the faster package but it's been designed to work at the majority of circuits; Monaco's an outlier.

siskue2005

Vladimir wrote:
15 May 2017, 08:23
Interesting to see that lap comparatinon.Ferrari seams to have stronger PU, and S3 Hamilton advantage was due to the Seb mistake for sure.
Long wheel base on Mercedes will cost to much in Monaco too.
Scuderia are made great car.
Merc's were running higher downforce that is why Ferrari were faster in Sector 1.
And that mistake alone won't give him 0.4 sec advantage. That mistake was is last corner which would lost him 0.1 see only.
If u have seen the lap comparison as u claim then u would have seen that Lewis was gaining from turn 10 and also on turn 11 and 12 also and the final chicane was just nail in the coffin.

S3 section has been traditionally faster for Merc from 2012 onwards and they have always gone fast the next race which is Monaco.
Remember they had pole at Monaco from 2012 onwards (2012 Schumacher had pole but was demoted due to penalty). Only last year Lewis had problem in qualifying which allowed Riccardo to take pole.
The longer wheelbase would effect the pace in Monaco but their has still the best traction and mechanical grip

ferkan
ferkan

Restomaniac wrote:
15 May 2017, 08:22
ferkan wrote:
15 May 2017, 08:14

Ferrari was the better car? When was that?
Long race pace in FP1/2/3 testing belonged to Mercedes, 30+ laps in 1 set of tyres, fastest Qualy lap. Vettel struggled to get past a slower Mercedes that's engine was as we now know about to go bang where as Hamilton went past Vettel 'like a train'. But Ferrari was the fastest car.
Im not talking abouf FPs, Vettel is notoriously bad in S3, Webber easily outqualified him here pretty much every time, yet he got 0.051s from Ham in quali, with the old engine. Bottas pass was hard, but bottas and Seb both ran old engines at the end of their lifetime, but not Ham.

There was nothing in this race that showed me Merc was a better car. It won by good pit decision and set of circumstances (Bottas taking one for the team and taking 5-6s from Vettel). New engine for Vettel and Kimi in the race and Ham and Merc would have to worry about alot of things they just didnt have to yesterday.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 May 2017, 03:05
I want to bring the attentio of you all to this qualifying analysis if not posted already. What does it say about the engine power, traction and relative low med high speeds of the cars?

https://streamable.com/nvsmo

The ferrari seemed to have better top end acceleration and downforce. Amazing thru the high speed corners and the wider lines that Vettel could take.
Really, the Ferrari was faster here and the pole was vettels but he screwed up the exit chicane as he said. What i am excited about is Mercedes low speed performance for Monaco.
Back in time when Ferrari made great cars with lots of download they weren´t so great in Monaco, so it could happen the same now. Anyway, Mercedes´s longer wheelbase could not be the best one for this track. I still hope to see Kimi on pole.

Anyway, great race, full of emotion.

It was a great start by Seb and he had the pace to win the race but Bottas costed him 4-6 seconds, which was enough to win the race. Then the VSC gave Hamilton the chance of being enough close to Sebastian. Anyway, both drivers made a great job and they deserved to win.

Its fantastic to see the drivers pushing almost all the race, this is F1!

I really what Liberty is doing, F1 seems to be more open than ever. Its was nice to see Kimi with that little child. Kudos for him and Ferrari. =D>

Vasconia

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 May 2017, 23:52
I think this 'bromance' and overtly show of 'respect' between LH and SV will start to go south once the battle intensifies!
Let them clash and we will see how things change. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I am sure Lewis respects now much more Sebastian than in 2010-2012 when he(and Alonso) made some comments underestimating the quality of Vettel.

Vasconia

dobbster71 wrote:
14 May 2017, 22:03
I didn't see todays race but, judging by the results, there should be a lot of kudos given to the Sauber team. Fantastic result for them.
Awesome race by Pascal, he surely nows how to manage those tyres! =D>

Wass85
Wass85

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 May 2017, 03:05
I want to bring the attentio of you all to this qualifying analysis if not posted already. What does it say about the engine power, traction and relative low med high speeds of the cars?

https://streamable.com/nvsmo

The ferrari seemed to have better top end acceleration and downforce. Amazing thru the high speed corners and the wider lines that Vettel could take.
Really, the Ferrari was faster here and the pole was vettels but he screwed up the exit chicane as he said. What i am excited about is Mercedes low speed performance for Monaco.

Amazing video, Vettel was miles ahead coming into the last sector. He gained most time in turn 5 where Hamilton had a little lock-up and ran wide. Are these videos shown regularly?

Shakeman

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 May 2017, 22:58
I have to say, DRS really ruins some races!
Hamilton pissed pass Vettel due to a significant tyre advantage which allowed him to brake later and take much more speed into the corner. DRS allowed him to get into Vettel's slipstream to be in a position to make the pass. Let's be fair, it was Hamilton's better exit from the chicane and last corner that put him close enough to have a go.

This was not one of those forgone conclusion DRS passes of old, there was still a lot for Hamilton to do in the braking zone.

The new aero rules have reduced DRS to what it was intended to do and I'm in favour of it until the rules change such that cars can follow much closer and not be so affected by the wake. I'm not going to waste my Sundays watching a multicoloured procession of cars.

Gothrek
Gothrek

Out of curiosity, did anybody use the Hard Compound during the race? I don't think so. A pity that Pirelli didn't bring the supersofts.