2017 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, 26-28 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2017 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, 26-28 May

f1316 wrote:
28 May 2017, 16:20
And what about the other two points? Who at Ferrari complained about Bottas being asked to move over several times or used as a blocker? Why, if the overcut is so obviously the better option, did Verstappen try the undercut/Bottas feel the need to cover him?
Is anyone debating Bottas being No.2?

Qualifying was evidence enough to understand how difficult it was to warm up the tyres and by pitting early, a driver is not going to come out bolting a faster out lap than the in lap of the driver pitting later. It was so easy to understand. As soon as Kimi went first, at least I knew it was done deal. Monaco is probably the smallest pit and the opportunity for the guy who pitted first to come out on top is always going to be leaner, knowing the warm up difficulties.
Last edited by turbof1 on 28 May 2017, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of the personal discussion.

DVB

Great Race! Better then Sochi (where if fell asleep).

Vettel definiatly seemed to have the better pace then Kimi. Verstappen was also good underway and wasn't so happy when he found out Ricci was in front of him.

About Kimi getting 2nd, well his emotions would have been the same if he would have won.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

The_table

It kinda seemed to me that Kimi lost ALL desire to push once Vet got ahead, he had quite a lead on ricciardo i think.

basti313
basti313

GPR-A wrote:
28 May 2017, 16:32
As soon as Kimi went first, at least I knew it was done deal. Monaco is probably the smallest pit and the opportunity for the guy who pitted first to come out on top is always going to be leaner, knowing the warm up difficulties.
Ver did a WORKING undercut on Bot. The only reason why Bot stayed in front of Ver was a bad pitstop of Ver. With the massive speed advantage of Vet before and after the stop, the undercut would have easily worked for him without any chance for Rai to prevent it. Giving Rai the first stop was a fair chance. He just did not have the pace.
Last edited by turbof1 on 28 May 2017, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
Don`t russel the hamster!

LionKing
LionKing

GPR-A wrote:
28 May 2017, 16:32
Qualifying was evidence enough to understand how difficult it was to warm up the tyres and by pitting early, a driver is not going to come out bolting a faster out lap than the in lap of the driver pitting later. It was so easy to understand. As soon as Kimi went first, at least I knew it was done deal. Monaco is probably the smallest pit and the opportunity for the guy who pitted first to come out on top is always going to be leaner, knowing the warm up difficulties.
Kimi was just behind Vettel after Vettel's stop. It means that without the 15.2, 15.5, etc laps Vettel managed, he would have been behind Kimi. Obviously those laps made the difference.

Again why did RBR pit Verstappen and why did Mercedes respond if your logic is sound?
Last edited by turbof1 on 28 May 2017, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

As I anticipated, Vettel wins. The way the win was achieved left a bit of a sour taste, but ultimately he was just faster than Raikkonen.

I was slightly surprised how close they were when Vettel emerged from the pits though. If Raikkonen had pitted 2 laps later, he would have cleared Button and Wehrlein, and Vettel might not have managed the overcut.

Ferrari would have known this of course, so I hope they don't claim to have operated in Kimi's best interests today.

LionKing
LionKing

Fulcrum wrote:
28 May 2017, 16:41
As I anticipated, Vettel wins. The way the win was achieved left a bit of a sour taste, but ultimately he was just faster than Raikkonen.

I was slightly surprised how close they were when Vettel emerged from the pits though. If Raikkonen had pitted 2 laps later, he would have cleared Button and Wehrlein, and Vettel might not have managed the overcut.

Ferrari would have known this of course, so I hope they don't claim to have operated in Kimi's best interests today.
If they have waited more, then what about being undercut by others pitting earlier?
Kimi lost because he was not fast enough, as usual. If he had done 1.15s laps instead of 1.17s he was doing, there would have been a clean gap between the Ferrari's and the others.

smellybeard
smellybeard

DVB wrote:
28 May 2017, 16:35
I think you slept through the wrong race.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

smellybeard wrote:
28 May 2017, 16:49
DVB wrote:
28 May 2017, 16:35
I think you slept through the wrong race.
Looks like Button fell asleep too. No other excuse for his novice shunt with Wehrlein.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bit1817
bit1817

I don't unterstand all the yelling about ferrari favorising Vettel. Everybody knows that the battle is between hamilton and Vettel. Normally these two are faster than Raikkönen and bottas. And with such a close battle Ferrari and Mercedes both bet their coins on the faster driver. At the end I did not see Raikkönen as fast as Vettel at any time in the race.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Did anyone notice that Vettel has the same record as Alonso in 2006, or is it just me?
1st,2nd,1st,2nd,2nd,1st
So Vettel could win the next 3 races :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

komninosm
komninosm

basti313 wrote:
28 May 2017, 15:03
Ver nearly undercut Bot and Vet overcut Rai. It is the driver who made it work.
But VER didn't undercut BOT, so your argument is invalid. I mean ffs RIC OVERCUT BOTH OF THEM!
Undercut didn't work in Monaco because SS tire was so much slower at first than US.

If anything, Mercedes made 2 mistakes.
They should not have pitted BOT to cover VER (into traffic) as that allowed RIC to pass.
They should not have pitted HAM before lap 70 at least and taken advantage of US tire. And then of course also use the Safety Car after lap 60 to pit for even better results.
Last edited by komninosm on 28 May 2017, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

komninosm wrote:
28 May 2017, 17:09

They should not have pitted HAM before lap 70 at least and taken advantage of US tire. And then of course also use the Safety Car after lap 60 to pit for even better results.
I thought that during the race but Ham's laptimes were dropping.He would have risked felling behind Magnussen and Kvyat.And of course they could not predict the SC so they went safe.Not a mistake for me though

komninosm
komninosm

Live timing was being a p.o.s so I'm not sure, but Ham seemed to have good laps before he pitted, no fall-off, and Pirelli said the US could last the entire race.

basti313
basti313

komninosm wrote:
basti313 wrote:
28 May 2017, 15:03
Ver nearly undercut Bot and Vet overcut Rai. It is the driver who made it work.
But VER didn't undercut BOT, so your argument is invalid.
Ver did not undercut Bot because of a bad pit stop. One lap more or a better pit stop by the RedBull crew and he would have been in front of Bot. The undercut was working.
komninosm wrote:
I mean ffs RIC OVERCUT BOTH OF THEM!
Undercut didn't work in Monaco because SS tire was so much slower at first than US.
Ric just overcut them because of Sainz. Judging the outlap of Bot and Ver they could have done low 16s just like Ric on a free track.
komninosm wrote:
If anything, Mercedes made 2 mistakes.
They should not have pitted BOT to cover VER (into traffic) as that allowed RIC to pass.
It is the same like in the last race with Merc vs. Ferrari: RedBull had two cars, Merc only one car. That makes Merc vulnerable. RedBull gambled with one car and pitted it for the undercut into traffic. This can work if the traffic pits, so the opponent needs to select which car he covers.
komninosm wrote:
Nonsense. Ham's time was dropping behind Gro just before they pitted him. With staying out longer he would have been behind Gro.
Don`t russel the hamster!