2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

Wynters wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 14:24
Andres125sx wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 12:22
Yes, Ocon spent last third of the race glued to Perez´s gearbox.... as Perez spent half of the race glued to Ricciardo´s gearbox :roll:
Indeed. But, by the time Ocon was asking to get a shot at the Red Bull, Perez wasn't able to challenge Ric as his tyres had lost their grip.
That´s your interpretation. Maybe he was just waiting till the lapped cars to not destroy his tires before

Wynters wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
That arguing would be correct if Perez was in clean air, but he wasn´t, so his pace was obvously faster than he was able to show while in RBR dirty air, wich means we can´t know who was faster Perer or Ocon.
At that point in the race, when Perez was dropping out of DRS range whilst Ocon was practically pushing him along, I think that Ocon was faster. The other interpretation is that Perez was deliberately dropping back, giving up his chance at a Podium just to push his team mate into the jaws of a much faster Ferrari (which Perez later made no attempt to defend his place from). Of the two scenarios, I think Perez's tryes going off is a more logical one than Perez deliberately sabotaging himself and his team mate, no?

Even if we were to ignore every other point, Ocon lost seconds going off the circuit when Vettel passed him. Perez lost no time when Vettel passed him. What was the gap when they crossed the finish line?
Sorry but I see it different. While Ricciardo was just in front of Perez the gap Ric-Per was exactly the same as Per-Oco, always around a second, and it was consistent. Not sure where did you see Ocon pushing Perez along while Ricciardo opened a gap except at the final laps where Vettel was in between. But that was well after the team requirement. Only when Vettel arrived Ricciardo pushed again and opened a gap. At that point it was absurd to ask for a position swap as none of them had a chance to improve their position further, it was proved Ricciardo was just playing with them, he really was faster but only showed that pace when a threat to his third position emerged. That threat was Vettel, not Perez or Ocon, so I´d say none of the FI drivers ever had a real chance to pass Ricciardo

I usually support TOs, contrary to what most people think I think drivers must follow teams instructions, but there are some wich are fair, while others are not. When a faster car is stuck behind a slower one, a teammate position swap is a good idea as maybe a different driving style can make a difference, but when the car in front is not slower but only playing leader, then it´s not fair as no chaser can make a difference, apart from being prepared just in case he makes a mistake, and obviously any driver can do that, so it should be the driver who reach that position earlier. At least that´s my opinion

To me yesterday that was the scenario, Perez or Ocon never had a real chance on Ricciardo, so letting Ocon pass would have meant that hypothetic chance to pass Ricciardo if he made a mistake would have been gifted to the driver at the back instead of the driver in front.

To me it´s similar to strategies, wich are always prioritized to the car in front obviously. Yesterday the only real strategy for FI was to be prepared if Ricciardo made a mistake and any of them is good enough for that, so I see no reason to gift that chance to the car wich reach that position later.

Wynters wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
And mentioning Carlos Slim does not add anything to the dicussion, except if you´re putting in doubt Checho talent. I hope that´s not your intention...
The original poster claimed that Checo has never been given anything. I suggested that, perhaps, he might've been. That's why I specifically quoted that section of their post. I'm not questioning his talent at all and it's odd that you would bring such an aspersion into it, both implying I said something I demonstrably did not and deliberately ignoring the context I was careful to put in place.

If I didn't think he was a good driver, I wouldn't be saying that Ocon should have DotD for, among other things, being faster than Perez yesterday.
Ok didn´t realice about that, sorry for the misreading :oops:

Wynters wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Add to that Perez spent more time in dirty air when compared to Ocon, then I don´t think a position swap would have been fair at all.
Agreed, not fair to Perez at all. But the team needs every point it can get. Whilst swapping is definitely not fair to Perez, is Perez putting himself before the team fair to every other employee of Force India?
No, he simply, as he said himself, was waiting for a chance as he did for sooooo many laps. Imagine being stuck behind a car with no real chance to overtake for half a race, and just when you both are reaching lapped cars so you see some minor chance to have a real chance, your teams ask you to let that real chance to your teammate
#-o :x

It´s a difficult decision, I think he as a FI employee should follow TOs, but in that specific scenario I can understand him

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

GPR-A wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 15:50
Absolute Savage! Will Buxton asking Perez, was he racing for himself or for Force India?
At 13:50.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QYdj_GHWI
wow, respect. I like him.

basti313
basti313

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 17:35
Wynters wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Yes, Ocon spent last third of the race glued to Perez´s gearbox.... as Perez spent half of the race glued to Ricciardo´s gearbox :roll:
Indeed. But, by the time Ocon was asking to get a shot at the Red Bull, Perez wasn't able to challenge Ric as his tyres had lost their grip.
That´s your interpretation. Maybe he was just waiting till the lapped cars to not destroy his tires before
That is not an interpretation. The maybe makes simply no sense as Perez was most of the time within one second and Ric had the more durable tires. Waiting for anything was no option and waiting for backmarkers was nonsense as they gave Ric DRS.
Andres125sx wrote:
Not sure where did you see Ocon pushing Perez along while Ricciardo opened a gap except at the final laps where Vettel was in between. But that was well after the team requirement. Only when Vettel arrived Ricciardo pushed again and opened a gap.
No. Ric was doing very consistent 16.5. He could pull one 16.1 out of his hat, but that was it. The only reason why he got P3 was that Vet lost 4 sec overtaking the FIs. With normal DRS overtakes on the FIs that would have been different.
Andres125sx wrote:
To me yesterday that was the scenario, Perez or Ocon never had a real chance on Ricciardo, so letting Ocon pass would have meant that hypothetic chance to pass Ricciardo if he made a mistake would have been gifted to the driver at the back instead of the driver in front.
Ocon had 13 laps fresher tires. It was clear and the only problem for Per, that he could not follow Ric through the hairpin. Newer tires would have been much better on this, thus, the swap would have been a real chance.
Ocon also had no chance to attack Per due to the slipstream and DRS. Nevertheless he was on his diffusor in the last corner. Once Ric was away Ocon went alongside to Per in the same car....that suggest a good pace difference, maybe even a second.
Andres125sx wrote:
To me it´s similar to strategies, wich are always prioritized to the car in front obviously. Yesterday the only real strategy for FI was to be prepared if Ricciardo made a mistake and any of them is good enough for that, so I see no reason to gift that chance to the car wich reach that position later.
13 laps fresher tires is no different strategy?
Wynters wrote:
If I didn't think he was a good driver, I wouldn't be saying that Ocon should have DotD for, among other things, being faster than Perez yesterday.
[/quote]
I do not get this DotD nonsense at all. Seems like subjective Facebook voting bullshit to me. Nothing that can be evaluated in any objective way.
Don`t russel the hamster!

dans79

foxmulder_ms wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 17:51
GPR-A wrote:
Absolute Savage! Will Buxton asking Perez, was he racing for himself or for Force India?
he used to use kid gloves when dealing with the drivers and TPs etc. However over the last year or so, he's started to play more hard ball with them. Hopefully he keeps it up as we need more members of the press who will take members of the pit-lane to task.
197 104 103 7

ClarkBT11

giantfan10 wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 03:53
Vettel was too risky? Based on what exactly? Whatever it takes within the rules ... i would love for you to point out what rule he broke. Everybody complains about processions then now we complain because a driver took a calculated risk and it worked out?
You sure you dont have an issue with it because he minimized the loss of points to Hamilton ?? : )
It's not a calculated risk, more like heat of the moment, are you denying Vettel's overtake finished well down to luck? Ocon had the awareness to go off the track or get harpooned by the red Ferrari, then Perez nearly ran over his front wing. Vettel said in the post race interview at some point of the race he felt like closing his eyes shut, I wonder what point of the race that was.. Vettel is a quality driver but sometimes is too aggressive and pulls a maneuver were it's get out of the way and let me pass or crash.

Are you sure it's not you having an issue with Vettel having a poor race?
Last edited by ClarkBT11 on 12 Jun 2017, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

foxmulder_ms wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 17:51
GPR-A wrote:
Glad to see Perez played it with a straight bat too. No flouncing or getting angry.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

giantfan10
giantfan10

ClarkBT11 wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 18:34
giantfan10 wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 03:53
Vettel was too risky? Based on what exactly? Whatever it takes within the rules ... i would love for you to point out what rule he broke. Everybody complains about processions then now we complain because a driver took a calculated risk and it worked out?
You sure you dont have an issue with it because he minimized the loss of points to Hamilton ?? : )
It's not a calculated risk, more like heat of the moment, are you denying Vettel's overtake finished well down to skill or it was lucky Ocon had the awareness to go off the track or get harpooned by the red Ferrari, then Perez nearly ran over his front wing.Vettel said in the post race interview at some point of the race he felt like closing his eyes shut, I wonder what point of the race that was.. Vettel is a quality driver but sometimes is too aggressive and pulls a maneuver were it's get out of the way and let me pass or crash.

Are you sure it's not you having an issue with Vettel having a poor race?
Vettel finished right where he deserved to finish and i have absolutely no issue with it.
My view of the overtake would be the exact same if ANY driver in the field would have pulled it off.
They drive around with no chance to overtake and fans complain... they overtake with an aggressive move and fans complain.. sheesh
I want entertainment when i watch formula one not a borefest.
Ocon got bullied plain and simple, Vettel wanted the place more and he took it,thats what i pay to watch not drivers cruising around sipping tea and waving each other past.
Ocon should learn something from that.
Vettel on Ricciardo in china...Vettel on Bottas in spain...he is aggressive and i like it.
Alonso aggressive... i like it
Hamilton aggressive... i like it
Schumacher aggressive... i like it
Notice the amount of world championships that have gone to aggressive ruthless drivers?

ClarkBT11

giantfan10 wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 19:07
Vettel finished right where he deserved to finish and i have absolutely no issue with it.
My view of the overtake would be the exact same if ANY driver in the field would have pulled it off.
They drive around with no chance to overtake and fans complain... they overtake with an aggressive move and fans complain.. sheesh
I want entertainment when i watch formula one not a borefest.
Ocon got bullied plain and simple, Vettel wanted the place more and he took it,thats what i pay to watch not drivers cruising around sipping tea and waving each other past.
Ocon should learn something from that.
Vettel on Ricciardo in china...Vettel on Bottas in spain...he is aggressive and i like it.
Notice the amount of world championships that have gone to aggressive ruthless drivers?
You didn't answer my question. Vettel was lucky to finish the race, I agree we want to see positive overtakes, not a wild lunge were it takes other drivers to move out of the way. Bullying his way past drivers has caught him out before and will do in the future. I just couldn't see why you thought Ringo's point of Vettel's risky pass was questionable.
Last edited by ClarkBT11 on 12 Jun 2017, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

ClarkBT11 why not just leave out the first sentence of your reply? Wouldn't you agree it makes your reply much stronger (and more pleasant for all to read).

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 13:14
Manoah2u wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 12:48
Sainz is a great driver, but this was just absolutely stupid to push grosjean on the grass
Sieper wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 12:49
he did push Grosjean of the track
Except he didn´t push Grosjean out of track

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... shunt.html

When they crash there´s at least half a car width at Grosjean right side. Considering how narrow this track is, and how many cars there was all around, to me that´s quite far from pushing anyone off track, even if he wasn´t aware of Grosjean he didn´t push him off track. He wasn´t aware while Grosjean thought he was, and that caused the accident. Racing incident to me, at least while on first lap with so many cars battling

Actually what FIA said about his penalty was simply that he was not aware of Grosjean postion so his movement was careless and potentially dangerous, they say nothing about pushing anyone anywhere
good point, i'll rephrase my claim;
he was - unknowingly and unintentionally - pushing Grosjean offtrack.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

giantfan10 wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 06:23
PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 04:50
Too easy for the BOSS. All too easy. Vettel could have done more to block mad Max coming from his right. Sure, Bottas was on his inside but it would have swtich over to put Bottas on the outside in the next turn. He was caught sleeping by Max. Not sure he can continue to make this little mistakes if he want to keep ahead of Hamilton in the title fight.
Asked whether Verstappen's move was overly optimistic after the race, Vettel said: "I haven't seen from his point of view, but... obviously I wasn't expecting, I was focusing on Valtteri, I didn't really have anywhere to go because Lewis [Hamilton] was in front - so if I brake later, then I run into Lewis.

"And then Max, I think, took his chance on the outside and ran over our front wing.
Of course Vettel is not going to admit anything.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

giantfan10 wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 19:07
You forgot the other half of the equation! A good driver knows when and when not to be aggressive. For example what Alonso said right after the Sainz Massa incident.
What are they doing? A crazy start. They need to calm down
If you watch the offical race edit, you can see that Vettel damn near lost the rear under braking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwL19BaHY2w

Winning a championship is just as much about not taking risks, as it is about taking them.
197 104 103 7

ClarkBT11

Sieper wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 20:52
ClarkBT11 why not just leave out the first sentence of your reply? Wouldn't you agree it makes your reply much stronger (and more pleasant for all to read).
Yes your right, I felt it was a taste of your own medicine the way he put his argument across. I've edited what I said so I don't offend which wasn't my goal just sarcasm, I'll keep that in mind next time. :)

TAG

ClarkBT11 wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 21:29
Sieper wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 20:52
Yes your right, I felt it was a taste of your own medicine the way he put his argument across. I've edited what I said so I don't offend which wasn't my goal just sarcasm, I'll keep that in mind next time. :)
No worries man, it's a Technical forum, there's a lot of "in the spectrum" traits within the membership, sometimes it's best to be instructional & clear at the expense of coming off as being heavy handed.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Sieper

Good man! Truely. I know it can get a little heated, find myself drawn into that as well, F1 is a passion right! But oftentimes the tone on this forum (one of the most interesting ones around (on F1) is just hard to stomach). Sorry for butting in.