2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

Anyone else notice that Danny Ricciardo has been very lucky of late? Not to mention Max has been faster than him in qualifying too?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Schuttelberg

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
12 Jun 2017, 22:08
Anyone else notice that Danny Ricciardo has been very lucky of late? Not to mention Max has been faster than him in qualifying too?
Yeah, I was going to post the same actually.. He seems to be getting a little too 'people pleasing' this year for me while Max looks zeroed in to achieve big things! I'm particularly surprised with Quali!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

ClarkBT11

If Max didn't have any bad luck he definitely would be ahead of Riccardo in the championship. They both disserve a better PU, do you think the team has given Danny the better strategy recently, I can't see that sitting with Max's dad lightly.

Juzh

People are still mad Vettel made the most of this salvage operation. They expected Hamilton would gain easy points on him after the verstappen chop, but sadly for them it didn't turn out that way, so now they're looking for any possible excuse to nullify by far the best overtake of the race, from pretty much the only man on the track who was interested in passing some cars. We've come so far that any overtake which isn't a drs flyby is now considered "too risky".

Vettel's car troughout the race:
https://twitter.com/Gianludale27/status ... 2994944001

Schuttelberg

I know there will be a lot of folks saying Ocon/Vettel were the driver of the day but in my honest opinion, that honour fell in Hamilton's hand on Saturday itself. I just felt that if he won the race after that, it just can't go to anyone else. That sort of Quali lap should just not be allowed for the sake of the competition.

On other notes-

1) I thought Ocon was marvellous. He's edging oh so close to Checo and I get the feeling the second half will be mega between those two. I also feel Checo is a mighty fine driver now in F1 and while I understand the criticism he is currently copping, I don't think he's completely wrong!

2) Vettel has been outstanding this year. Period. Yes, I know my avatar makes it obvious but I think he was ordinary in 2014 and like a spoilt chihuahua in 2016, but anyone who doubts his ability is a door knob. His passing on track this season has been on point and inspite of a lot of unfortunate situations he's limited the damage as much as he could. I believe he was driving a damaged car yesterday with a pretty ordinary strategy and without any SC assistance he nearly got on the podium. In one word- Wow! Just not as Wow as Hamilton on Saturday.

3) Ferrari and Mercedes need to put serious thought into their respective driver line ups. The first thing Ferrari need to do is renew Vettel's contract because he's going to get very expensive if he keeps putting in the performances he's putting in at the moment. Secondly, they really need to let Raikkonen go, if they're serious about winning the WCC. Like I said earlier, at the moment it seems Vettel is at a very high level, but he's prone to his 'nowhere' seasons when the car is 3rd or 4th best and they need someone who can push him. At the moment, Kimi can neither aid Vettel's or his own WDC quest nor the WCC and Vettel is bringing in 60-70% of the points. Again, it won't come as any surprise if I'm quoted on this and there's a plethora of excuses about Kimi's incompetence.
Coming to Valtteri- I think Lewis has some weekends where he is hungover about some drama in his life and basically looks like a passenger. I think Valtteri is 'OK' in terms of Qualifying but his race pace is abysmal. Hamilton was in cruise control and still lapping 3 tenths faster with ease.. At the moment, Raikkonen makes him look like an ideal foil to Hamilton's and Mercedes challenge, but the moment Ferrari put a decently complete driver in the other seat, the Merc pairing will look very mediocre.

4) My 3rd and 4th points are interlinked. Had MV not retired, I don't think Bottas would have got him. He couldn't get past Ocon on fresher tyres in the works Mercedes ffs. Raikkonen nearly put it in the wall on a straight line and merrily trailed the FI cars. These are two precious seats and people like Alonso, Verstappen and Ricciardo are being utterly wasted. I can still understand the other two are young and can at least get a podium and keep the juices flowing, but surely the new Bernie's of F1 can arrange something for Fred at one of these teams. Surely! It's a pity seeing him wrangle a pathetic supermarket trolly in 9th place and the likes of Bottas and Raikkonen be nowhere in cars capable of winning the championship!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

Juzh wrote: ↑
12 Jun 2017, 22:50
People are still mad Vettel made the most of this salvage operation. They expected Hamilton would gain easy points on him after the verstappen chop, but sadly for them it didn't turn out that way, so now they're looking for any possible excuse to nullify by far the best overtake of the race, from pretty much the only man on the track who was interested in passing some cars. We've come so far that any overtake which isn't a drs flyby is now considered "too risky".

From your post I feel you're a Vettel fan? One tip- Don't take the media/commentators/pundits seriously. Believe in your own eyes and heart. I've come around it now. They won't get excited or enhance viewing when Seb pulls those moves off because they expect Hamilton to do it even if he's lapped the field. Even more so this year because they're rivals. It isn't Hamilton's fault but because of their attitude people turn on Hamilton. Mind you, Lewis does some quite stupid things to contribute as well.

dans79

People are still mad Vettel made the most of this salvage operation. They expected Hamilton would gain easy points on him after the verstappen chop, but sadly for them it didn't turn out that way, so now they're looking for any possible excuse to nullify by far the best overtake of the race, from pretty much the only man on the track who was interested in passing some cars.
No, it's because some of us can see how close the pass came to ending up like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgc7PMv4-_I
Last edited by dans79 on 13 Jun 2017, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

ClarkBT11

No one is mad, just stating the fact that so much could of gone wrong with that overtake and some people are dismissing that reality, Vettel's left too much percentage of a successful pass outside his own control. I would be pretty naive to think the quickest package so far couldn't make the podium even with the first corner mayhem he endured.
On a positive note after seeing the damage to the floor he did a very good job Ferrari reported a two tenth loss a lap, it just shows how much Kimi needs to up his game.

Shrieker

They expected Hamilton would gain easy points on him after the verstappen chop
Didn't he ?

pretty much the only man on the track who was interested in passing some cars
Much slower cars than his', if I may add. He still had to pull them of tho.

IMHO his start was OK, but not enough under the circumstances. If he had gotten a slightly better start, he'd have never ran into trouble in the first place.
Last edited by Shrieker on 13 Jun 2017, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-AtatΓΌrk

djos

Sure he's had some luck, but he's also capitalised on that luck by making the most of each situation. That's what good drivers do.
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

djos wrote: ↑
13 Jun 2017, 00:08
Sure he's had some luck, but he's also capitalised on that luck by making the most of each situation. That's what good drivers do.
I rated Danny over max overall from last year.. But I feel Max has quielty flipped the status quo this year. Not a redbull guy obviously but my interest has been piqued and I definitley will be watching these two keenly for the rest of the season.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

djos

13 Jun 2017, 03:33
djos wrote: ↑
13 Jun 2017, 00:08
I rated Danny over max overall from last year.. But I feel Max has quielty flipped the status quo this year. Not a redbull guy obviously but my interest has been piqued and I definitley will be watching these two keenly for the rest of the season.
Max does seem to have the raw speed advantage this year, however he needs to stop putting his car in harms way. He was very lucky to survive contact with Seb in Canada - by all rights he should have lost that rear tire then and there.
"In downforce we trust"

ringo

ClarkBT11 wrote: ↑
12 Jun 2017, 18:34
giantfan10 wrote: ↑
12 Jun 2017, 03:53
Vettel was too risky? Based on what exactly? Whatever it takes within the rules ... i would love for you to point out what rule he broke. Everybody complains about processions then now we complain because a driver took a calculated risk and it worked out?
You sure you dont have an issue with it because he minimized the loss of points to Hamilton ?? : )
It's not a calculated risk, more like heat of the moment, are you denying Vettel's overtake finished well down to luck? Ocon had the awareness to go off the track or get harpooned by the red Ferrari, then Perez nearly ran over his front wing. Vettel said in the post race interview at some point of the race he felt like closing his eyes shut, I wonder what point of the race that was.. Vettel is a quality driver but sometimes is too aggressive and pulls a maneuver were it's get out of the way and let me pass or crash.

Are you sure it's not you having an issue with Vettel having a poor race?
Thank you sir!
Good post. I did not bother to respond to the knee jerk reaction from the other post. At no point was i trolling. I was simply stating what we saw in that race. Vettel basically did a dive bomb like his good old friend Daniel Ricciardo.
That could have easily been a big crash had ocon not care about getting points.
We can even replay the video here. It just reminds me of vettel's redbull days when he used to get red mist and do these kinds of things. It's part of his personality. I can list many accidents that started like this from Vettel.
the infamous crash in turkey with his teammate.. the big radiator ripper crash with button at spa.. and even races where redmist got the best of him and he didnt crash.. silverstone 2011 was it?
So i wasn't trolling at all. I saw a driver fighting for the championship lose his cool and throw caution to the wind, and i suspect we haven't seen the last of this from Sebastian; which means the season is shaping up pretty nicely.
For Sure!!

ringo

You are completely wrong on what you think people feel. I saw where vettel cracked and almost lost 25 points to hamilton in the last 2 laps of a race where he already made a good recovery. The season isn't even halfway through.
He would have got past one of them with less risk. Look on the video... in no way was he under full control of his car. He was left at the mercy of ocon.
That wasn't the best overtake of the race. The best was verstappen passing him at the start or one of the other really good midfield overtakes that happened. You must have only been watching vettel's car this race.
Anyhow some more Hamilton tracks are coming up. Vettel can't afford to balls them up like he did this race.

Austria (qualifying At least) , Silverstone, Hungary, Spa, Monza,

Even if Vettel finished second in canada, he would have more than likely lost his lead in those next 5 tracks alone; which can be considered barn stormer type hamilton tracks. So no i don't think anyone was really worrying about hamilton gaining easy points.
For Sure!!

justmoi
justmoi

Shrieker wrote: ↑
13 Jun 2017, 00:07
They expected Hamilton would gain easy points on him after the verstappen chop
Didn't he ?
LOL