2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

Phil wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 02:01
You mean the consistency of dominating at Montreal and Baku, then a headrest breaking, then a 5 grid penalty in Austria that limited his potential, then dominating in Silverstone again when it counts?

I'd say the consistency of MERCEDES as a whole is something the team needs to work on and address. At first it seemed to evolve around the tires, but now seem to be solved, but the reliability issue (gearbox for Bottas and Ham and PU fault for Bottas) is not good indeed. Apart from that though... no idea what you are getting at.
I agree, if not for the headrest issue, and grid penalty, he'd probably be leading the championship right now.
197 104 103 7

Moose
Moose

F1Krof wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 01:02
I don't know what to call it, but this swinging high - low - high for Hamilton is not looking good for his WDC. His consistency is not to par with Vettel's. Or did Vettel have more luck, I don't know. But Vettel seems pretty consistent. He'll pass Raikkonen in the first lap and it will be Ham vs Vettel to the end.
I don't see HAM swinging high low high, I see him swinging High, high high, and getting some bad luck along the way. He's been in charge at Canada, Azerbaijan, and the UK, and the only reason he wasn't anywhere in Austria was due to a mechanical issue.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

sosic2121
sosic2121

F1NAC wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 22:13
Feuerdrache wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 22:04
TAG wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 21:20
He doesn't have to. It's in his contract. Tomorrow though Hamilton looks likely to have plenty enough in the tank to hold the Ferraris back so Bottas can take advantage of things.
Just like in China this year then? If it's in his contract why did he not let Vettel by immediately?
Provocations... :)
Obviously some hamilton fans are so buthurt by the fact that he needs team orders every step of the way.
They are trying to justify that by imaginary Ferrari team orders.

Maybe they should stop for a second and think about how many points Mercedes drivers would have if Bottas played it safe in Spain and saved his car instead of fighting Hamilton's battles.

Even last race he was driving damaged car just to try to keep Vettel from winning, even though gearbox penalty was certain.

Tom145145
Tom145145

sosic2121 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 08:04
F1NAC wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 22:13
Feuerdrache wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 22:04
Just like in China this year then? If it's in his contract why did he not let Vettel by immediately?
Provocations... :)
Even last race he was driving damaged car just to try to keep Vettel from winning, even though gearbox penalty was certain.
It must have really hurt to win his second GP, talk about punitive team orders!

GPR-A duplicate2

sosic2121 wrote:
Obviously some hamilton fans are so buthurt by the fact that he needs team orders every step of the way.
If anyone wants to read a truck load of BS, read above.
sosic2121 wrote:
Maybe they should stop for a second and think about how many points Mercedes drivers would have if Bottas played it safe in Spain and saved his car instead of fighting Hamilton's battles.
He was using an old engine, running the risk of going it pop, after his new ICE had issues and had to revert. He had a damaged car with the start issue and he was doing what he was supposed to do (he did fought Hamilton hard in Monza last year, that helped Nico immensely, Verstappen held Hamilton in Australia this year that helped Vettel win the race).
To play it safe, he had to run a compromised PU to finish the race. But go and ask any driver, would they want to do it? Drivers would prefer to take the risk of an engine failure, fight the driver behind, but wouldn't want to simply hang back. The situation was so reminiscent of 2015 Monza.
sosic2121 wrote:
Except you in your imagination, no one would have known if Bottas was going to have a Gear Box issue. So, stop attributing junk credit to Bottas here. More than anyone else, Bottas himself needed that win and holding Vettel behind was a byproduct of that situation. No favor done to anyone.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 21:10
I am expecting an ugly fight between the two Ferraris. Kimi is not rolling over just because wunderkid commands it! Don't be surprised if it ends in tears tmorrow.
Vettel will jump Kimi after the red light if not he will make an undercut. There is no need to use the team radio like other drivers have done. They will speak about it before the race. I dont expect any drama about it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 00:40
How is the weather looking for tomorrow weatherman??
It'll be dry, almost certainly, with temps around 20degC, light winds from the West. If there is any rain it will be nothing more than a light shower.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

iotar__ wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 16:57
It doesn't get any clearer in terms of impeding so FIA produced this #-o :
"...potentially have been affected by the presence of Hamilton at Turn 16, he was not impeded,”

- it means basically that it was a clear penalty but we didn't give it because we like some drivers more.
- Potentially? Potentially means driving was dangerous and cost time unless (potentially) aliens would teleport the other car. What other potential situation would cause this loss of time to be theoretical and not deserving a penalty? This way you can justify any cheating.

- This completely fraudulent organization has a nerve to give grid penalties for slowing down under yellows to help another marketing chosen one and shout about safety.
Have to say as a Hamilton fan it looked like a slam dunk penalty. He was dawdling in the final corners preparing for his lap.

There is no excuse but I do think that the stewards have made a rod for their own back bay admitting that SEB wasn't disqualified because they didn't want to effect the championship. Essentially that IS a decision that affects the championship. Now with this Hamilton non penalty it feels like they're trying to even it up. maybe it's the right call in some ways, they both got a let off but where does it end? Each situation needs to be judged on its merit otherwise you have stewards determining the fate of the championship and it will be devalued because of it.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 09:45
PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 21:10
I am expecting an ugly fight between the two Ferraris. Kimi is not rolling over just because wunderkid commands it! Don't be surprised if it ends in tears tmorrow.
Vettel will jump Kimi after the red light if not he will make an undercut. There is no need to use the team radio like other drivers have done. They will speak about it before the race. I dont expect any drama about it.
Other than having done a good job of making a race winning car (so far), Ferrari have also improved in handling the No.1 and No.2 situation behind the closed door, so that the Ferrari supporters would fight on forums that they don't have a No.1 and 2 situation at all and Kimi is not a No.2. That indeed is progress.

F1NAC

Can we please top with this Ferrari number1 and 2 thing. We saw on multiple occasions this year that Mercedes already did this kind of stuff very early in the season yet people are only blabbering Ferrari. Please you're boring AF. Leave them alone

giantfan10
giantfan10

F1NAC wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 12:33
Can we please top with this Ferrari number1 and 2 thing. We saw on multiple occasions this year that Mercedes already did this kind of stuff very early in the season yet people are only blabbering Ferrari. Please you're boring AF. Leave them alone
I agree completely.
Its amazing the lengths some would go to just to paint the team they are a fan of as the bestest ever lol.

Unc1eM0nty

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 21:17
Everyone banging on about the Gro Ham incident, yet Perez was worse to Vettel in Q2 and it was let go, so there was no way they could penalise Ham once they let Perez off for taking it easy through Copse while Vettel was on a fast one.
I'm trying to think of an qually incident this season that resulted in a penalty but I can't, have there been any ?

JonoNic

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 21:17
Everyone banging on about the Gro Ham incident, yet Perez was worse to Vettel in Q2 and it was let go, so there was no way they could penalise Ham once they let Perez off for taking it easy through Copse while Vettel was on a fast one.
I'm trying to think of an qually incident this season that resulted in a penalty but I can't, have there been any ?
Remember Rosberg taking pole under double waved yellows? He kept his pole that day too. No issue if you are a title contender. Others are just here to fill the slots for the race.
Always find the gap then use it.

bauc

Is rain expected during the race?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg