Force India VJM10 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mitsmania

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

New T-wing with Aluminium support

Now this is exciting to see.

PC - Albert Fabrega

BloodLad91

mitsmania wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 09:52

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJqrPIBVYAAhJZF?format=jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJqqTWqXoAAq6UJ?format=jpg

PC - Albert Fabrega
Looks Badass!!

skoop

mitsmania wrote:

PC - Albert Fabrega
So what's the point of all this little wings? Do they help to direct the airflow better to the rear wing?

Ashwinv16

Halo not as bad as we thought

Ashwinv16

skoop wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 11:56
mitsmania wrote:

PC - Albert Fabrega
So what's the point of all this little wings? Do they help to direct the airflow better to the rear wing?
It helps to direct flow into the rear wing, notice the winglets are directing the air downwards away from the center. It also helps stop the air from "leaking" onto the other side while the car turns into sharp corners improving entry speeds, which is quite abundant in Singapore.
Halo not as bad as we thought

wesley123

skoop wrote:
PRobably similar in execution to the plate Williams has in that area. I believe it is used to prevent vortex creation at the top of the fin, which would primarily happen, and be undesirable, under yaw.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

TankMarvin

mitsmania wrote:

PC - Albert Fabrega
Gillette a new sponsor ?

BloodLad91

wesley123 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:20
skoop wrote:
PRobably similar in execution to the plate Williams has in that area. I believe it is used to prevent vortex creation at the top of the fin, which would primarily happen, and be undesirable, under yaw.
Craig Scarborough said in tweet that,
the fins should create a strong vortex pushing down on the rear wing.

ScrewCaptain27

Via AMuS:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Holm86

I think its to drive more air underneath the RW

wesley123

BloodLad91 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:27
wesley123 wrote:
skoop wrote:
I'm not sure what the point of that would be, certainly if you consider the cut-out in the rear wing flap that, I believe, every team runs.

Also, the T-wing would be in it's path, so if anything this vortex would affect the T-wing and not the rear wing.
And even if it would make a sharp downward turn, it would hit the rear wing pillar.

I don't think generating a vortex in this area would be beneficial for the rear wing, especially when this could be done closer to the rear wing.

BloodLad91

wesley123 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 16:18
BloodLad91 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:27
wesley123 wrote:

I'm not sure what the point of that would be, certainly if you consider the cut-out in the rear wing flap that, I believe, every team runs.

Also, the T-wing would be in it's path, so if anything this vortex would affect the T-wing and not the rear wing.
And even if it would make a sharp downward turn, it would hit the rear wing pillar.

I don't think generating a vortex in this area would be beneficial for the rear wing, especially when this could be done closer to the rear wing.
The vortex collectively generated by fins on either side will pass underneath t- wing and onto rear wing, the midwing above airbox will help it by creating downwash.

godlameroso

It's also to stop air spilling easily over the shark fin.
Saishū kōnā

wesley123

BloodLad91 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 16:30
wesley123 wrote:

The vortex collectively generated by fins on either side will pass underneath t- wing and onto rear wing, the midwing above airbox will help it by creating downwash.
Doubt that as it would need to travel a long way down, plus generate a large vortex(and not a strong one) that would be influenced by the low pressure zone of the T-wing.

There doesn't seem much point to actually generating a vortex there if you also consider the free area that allows the T-wing and that the rear wing is much bigger than only the center.

BloodLad91

wesley123 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 19:07
BloodLad91 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 16:30
wesley123 wrote:

Doubt that as it would need to travel a long way down, plus generate a large vortex(and not a strong one) that would be influenced by the low pressure zone of the T-wing.

There doesn't seem much point to actually generating a vortex there if you also consider the free area that allows the T-wing and that the rear wing is much bigger than only the center.
Well I'm not an expert by any stretch and can't help but only speculate, imo the fins arrangement will create vortex and like you said it won't (shouldn't) go through t-wing, it will go underneath t-wing arrangement whether it goes onto/underneath/over rear wing and how it will bring performance for that we have to wait for expert opinion or an article after race.