Haas VF-18 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Maritimer

Re: Haas VF18 Speculation Thread

I like it

Xero

Looks fairly developed for a launch car, but perhaps to be expected as an evolutionary concept. Halo looks quite basic, perhaps saving those details for testing.

Unexpected car launch, but has got my juices flowing! Love this time of the year! =D>

Vanja #66

Pretty much an SF-70H Evo. :D Lovely details, probably some of them will be seen on the red car as well, at least test-spec. Barge boards (just them, not the whole area) seem a bit simplistic, Ferrari had them a lot further last year. Could be something interesting in the pipeline coming up in that area.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ScrewCaptain27

I’d say it’s time to open the official car thread.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

KingLoe

Can't help it but i always like these Haas cars.
This one looks fast, let's hope for them it is =D>

F1ern

So they still buy the suspension from the Ferrari right? Basically we will see this suspension geometry and wheelbase on the new Ferrari as well.

godlameroso

These new cars look so much more refined than in 2018, I can even excuse the halo, there's so many details and improvements to the bodywork. Well done Haas.

The car has a clear mid wing concept going on. Would be interesting to get the aero guru's take on it.
Saishū kōnā

f1316

Interesting to me that Haas say ‘Bigger’ in their tweet; I can’t tell from eyeballing it but I wonder if that’s an indication of a longer wheelbase (and whether Ferrari’s suspension is based around that...?)

ian_s

and the verdict is: I dont care about the halo, i still had to go take 5 minutes alone time.

Ashwinv16

The overall design although complex many parts such as the rear wings are a carryover from last year, but then this is a rendering, more changes in testing.
Notice the Haas clearly uses the entire 5 degree allowance for the exhaust and a more aggressively angled gearbox cover, effectively minimising the lose of the monkey seat.(Well they can't be placed behind the exhaust anymore, but this rule also is part of the reason that opened up to the use of lower T-wing) The shark fin also comes much further away from the engine cover than intended due to Article 3.5.1c.

The biggest surprise is the side pods. Complex if not more than the Ferrari and the side impact structure is placed lower like Ferrari's last year's design but it is much clearer in this design as it is abruptly cut off unlike Ferrari's 2017 design which was smoothly countered and covered
Ferrari's design
Red arrow showing the side impact structure positioning and green arrow showing how it fit through

The side pod turning vanes (Well deflectors in this case now as they have been focusing on deflecting the air coming from the inner surface of Bargeboards and nose cone (Redbull last year still focused on making the air flow along the sidepods, while Haas and Ferrari focused on making the air flow above the sidepods). Although interesting is pretty much an efficient version to the more crude version they had last year.

They also reduced the size of the delta wings(The wings attached to the nosecone), as the reshaped sidepod airflow conditioners is now higher than last years sidepod intake. (Will move this to the Car thread once it is available)
Halo not as bad as we thought

Sevach

GoranF1 wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 17:30
Sevach wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 17:20
Very detailed for a launch spec.

Ferrari sidepods, interesting deflectors, FW...
Ferrari sidepods but bigger openings?
Costumer teams are often more conservative than factory teams when it comes to cooling.

CmdrVOODOO

Re: Haas VF-18 Ferrari

What amazes me about this car is Adrian Newey said he couldn't figure out what Ferrari was doing with their side pods and somehow Haas figured it out.

Zynerji

Re: Haas VF-18 Ferrari

CmdrVOODOO wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 01:59
What amazes me about this car is Adrian Newey said he couldn't figure out what Ferrari was doing with their side pods and somehow Haas figured it out.
Can't think of any mechanism currently in place that would allow for such an innate understanding.

Personally, I would not doubt if this is similar to the 2004 Sauber car, being only cosmetically different than last years Ferrari. No doubt Haas built it, but there is WAY too much collaboration to not be simply buying last years aero understanding along with suspension/drivetrain components. And that would make total sense, as it is a complete philosophy, not just individual components.

PS: This looks LIGHT YEARS ahead of last years car. Maybe the surprise of the season?!?