Haas VF-18 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach

Re: Haas VF18 Speculation Thread

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 18:08
Pretty much an SF-70H Evo. :D Lovely details, probably some of them will be seen on the red car as well, at least test-spec. Barge boards (just them, not the whole area) seem a bit simplistic, Ferrari had them a lot further last year. Could be something interesting in the pipeline coming up in that area.
I agree, it's very Ferrari like, the barge boards are quite similar to one of the earlier iterations of the SF70-H.

Interesting treatment to the FW on the Y250 vortex area and the vanes under the nose.

Gerhardsa

Re: Haas VF-18 Ferrari

Very good looking car. It looks years ahead of last years car.

I just cant help but wonder...how the hell do you get in and out of these cars "easily"?

Vanja #66

What a difference a year can make.

Barge boards are pretty much a spec 2 SF-70H boards.

I'm sure they'll be using spec 3 at some point in tests.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Just_a_fan

CmdrVOODOO wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 01:59
What amazes me about this car is Adrian Newey said he couldn't figure out what Ferrari was doing with their side pods and somehow Haas figured it out.
I would assume that Ferrari gave them some advice. Also Ferrari used Haas to increase their own wind tunnel time before last year. It's entirely possible that Haas watched and learnt.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Kalsi

Very nice car... indeed we should see similar sidepods in the new Ferrari as well, rumors says that they are bigger and lower on the 2018 challenger too.
Another thing is... the back of the car... isn't it reeeeally tight? Ferrari was saying they put a lot of effort in reducing the weight (perhaps size?) of the PU

GoranF1

This kind of copy/paste aero should be banned in F1 this is not Indy.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bauc

GoranF1 wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 13:09
I see your point, but I remember a statement from Gene Haas before he entered F1 where he said that he will use as much Ferrari equipment and parts as possible so I'm not really surprised.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ajprice

GoranF1 wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 13:09
Yeah, its almost to the point of the 'customer chassis' that got banned after 2009 because of the Red Bull/Toro Rosso cars being the same. How much difference between chassis does there have to be to get around that rule?

wuzak

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 10:51
CmdrVOODOO wrote:
What amazes me about this car is Adrian Newey said he couldn't figure out what Ferrari was doing with their side pods and somehow Haas figured it out.
I would assume that Ferrari gave them some advice. Also Ferrari used Haas to increase their own wind tunnel time before last year. It's entirely possible that Haas watched and learnt.
Year before that.

There was no extra time before last season.

dren

The car looks sharp and hides the halo well. Haas said they focused on weight reduction so they have more options with ballast for set-up. The focus was to make the car more consistent race to race.
Honda!

f1316

I think from this pic we can also glean that, considering the Haas’ wheels are bigger, it must have a longer wheelbase than last year’s Ferrari.

Given it’s using Ferrari’s suspension, it may hint at the length of the new Ferrari.

Raleigh

Haas and Ferrari had identical wheelbase lengths in both 2016 and 2017 so that is quite likely.

Big Mangalhit

wuzak wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 13:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 10:51
CmdrVOODOO wrote:
Year before that.

There was no extra time before last season.
Also this was never proven only speculated. IIRC there was even an investigation launched in Maranello to see if there was any cross information and they found nothing. http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one ... wrongdoing

Yet this is already been claimed as absolute truth.

It's also funny that the first accusation was they used the tunnel time for an upgrade in the 2015 challenger, then it shifted to "they used the tunnel to design the 2016 car" and finally it was allegedly used for the 2017 challenger...

I'm not saying they didn't do it but I find a bit disrespectful that people claim that these men cheated even tho there is abolutely no proof of that. But that is just how these forums work I guess, speculation is repeated so much it becomes the truth when these affirmation aren't challenged anymore

continuum16

Kalsi wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:13
Very nice car... indeed we should see similar sidepods in the new Ferrari as well, rumors says that they are bigger and lower on the 2018 challenger too.
Another thing is... the back of the car... isn't it reeeeally tight? Ferrari was saying they put a lot of effort in reducing the weight (perhaps size?) of the PU
I too noticed that the back of this car is relatively slim. Looking top-down, it seems that it is no wider than last year's Ferrari, and I think it may be even slimmer in some places. For example, the rear end is massively undercut, and also the sidepods openings seem to be taller than Ferrari's but possibly not as wide. Also nice to see they finally adapted the open-ended rear wing that pretty much everyone else already used.

Generally, a pretty neat car; and it makes me think that things are either going one of two ways; either Haas will move up a bit in the order, or we are about to see some real rocketships in the next week or so...
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain