Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

The diffuser central section looks like the underside of a seagull(the bird).
Saishū kōnā

OO7
OO7

godlameroso wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 02:15
The diffuser central section looks like the underside of a seagull(the bird).
It does doesn't it! :lol:

OO7
OO7

The Mercedes diffuser is very interesting because all of the vanes have been split into two (a forward and aft section). I don't recall seeing that before.

godlameroso

The way the edges of the diffuser curl in reminds me of the wings of this here fella, just upside down
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Blaze1 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 02:55
https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ffuser.jpg
The Mercedes diffuser is very interesting because all of the vanes have been split into two (a forward and aft section). I don't recall seeing that before.
Red Bull was the first to do that a few years ago. Granted they didnt have that many vanes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

Good interview with Aldo Costa by Will Buxton
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

F1Krof

TAG wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 03:40
https://youtu.be/zVMiA1PhW_E

Good interview with Aldo Costa by Will Buxton
I keep saying again. This year they seem unusually calm and confident? Either they've --- up or created something unheard. Toto's very calm as well. What do you think is going on behind the scene?
Wroom wroom

PlatinumZealot

W09

W08

Woah. The rear suspension is unusual. The top control arm is just tiny bit longer with a pick-up point of about 20mm higher than last year. The in-board pick-up points are also mounted higher giving a gentler angle. The roll centre should be higher by doing this, but no point in talking about roll-centre in modern F1 - doesn't matter much.
The real important thing is that the higher and more horizontal wishbones, indicate that they want to keep the contact patch more level by reducing the camber change in squat and bump.

Speaking of squat the plane made by each top wishbone is also less sloped forward. This means there is less "anti-squat" dialed into the suspension. Means a more pliable suspension movement. The Mercedes engineers felt that the new car has a good dynamic weight distribution and stable aerodynamics so they are expecting less rearward weight transfer.

I think these developments are purely for tyre life purposes. The new tyres are much softer this year. This might be the influence of James Allison, who has made cars that were very gentle on their rear tyres.

The other teams like Mclaren, Ferrari have the upper joint closer the chassis with a steeper inclination of the control arm. This inducing a bigger camber change when the suspension is compressed. Good performance in the corners but in squat when accelerating out of the corner the contact patch is smaller heating up the tyres more.

I expect Mercedes to have slower tyre warm up this year but monstrous stint lengths. No problem when you are racing from the front.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

astracrazy

F1Krof wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 20:59
I keep saying again. This year they seem unusually calm and confident? Either they've --- up or created something unheard. Toto's very calm as well. What do you think is going on behind the scene?
If a teams f’d up you would know by there track running. Mclaren recently or red bull a few years ago with over heating etc

I say confident. If your cars performing at the top (3) with no problems then you can be. I guess they know if they have fixed the diva issues which it would suggest they have. They are meant to have improved the engine again too.

ScrewCaptain27

Cooling outlet behind the Halo:
Via Motorsport.com
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

godlameroso

They moved the cooling outlets in the rear, they're above the lower wishbone this year, no doubt to open up the space on the top side of the diffuser.
Saishū kōnā

Maritimer

What kind of velocity does the air coming out of the cooling exits have? Is there any advantage to having them exit over the diffuser like that? Other than simplicity.

PhillipM

Slower than the air around the sidepods.

Kalsi

Sorry if this was posted before but...

CircusF1 claiming W09 not only retained it`s wheelbase, but it increased instead by another 63mm taking the mercedes to a whopping 3.823mm.
SF71-H on the other hand should be 120mm longer than it`s predecessor... taking the ferrari 2018 car to 3.714mm.

Here is the source link: http://www.circusf1.com/2018/03/le-f1-2 ... 9-60mm.php

In Short:

W08 = 3,760 mm >>>>> +63mm >>>>> W09 = 3,823mm
SF70-H = ‎3,594 mm >>>>> +120mm >>>>> SF71-H = 3,714mm

Notice how W08 was still longer than this year SF71-H

Anyone can confirm?

Just_a_fan

Maritimer wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 00:17
What kind of velocity does the air coming out of the cooling exits have? Is there any advantage to having them exit over the diffuser like that? Other than simplicity.
The air will be hot and thus lower density than ambient. Although the airflow might be slower than that immediately around the openings, the temperature induced lower density might allow the same effect i.e. to reduce the pressure difference above and below the floor at the diffuser's exit. The diffuser's job is to bring the pressure of the air exiting from below the floor back to the same as the pressure around the car (ambient). By having fast air moving over the diffuser, you reduce the pressure differences between the flows above/below the floor and there is then less drag as the flows merge. Fast air is lower pressure, as is hot air. So having hot air means the same benefits as "fast air". The teams have to dump the hot air somewhere and doing it this way helps the aero performance. That's my entirely amateur "first guess". :oops:

Oh, and having hot air blow below the rear wing would give an enhanced pressure difference across the wing too - more downforce at a given speed. Although I doubt this effect is what they're chasing here.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.