2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Moose wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 18:18
The argument is that while that section is highly technical, it only takes about 14 seconds to get through it (discounting the short straight in it). That's a very small fraction of the lap. The rest is a couple of high speed corners, and 4 straights.

Your argument is a little like claiming that the old Hockenheim is a technical circuit because it has the stadium complex at the end.
Point taken!

George-Jung
George-Jung

Than why teams want to winter test in Bahrein?

adb
adb

Aaaand which track is a chassis-track then?

dans79

George-Jung wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 22:19

Because Bahrain would allow them to pound out a lot of miles in temperatures more like they will see during the season.

Per google the average low is 64°F and the average high is 77°F in March. That's about 15°F warmer than Barcelona. Not to mention practically zero chance of rain.
197 104 103 7

FrukostScones

Grid: HAM VES RAI VET BOT RIC ALO GRO MAG VAN
Race: RAI VET ALO RIC
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Sevach
Sevach

George-Jung wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 22:19
It tests reliability like no other place, specially running during day time.

Artur Craft

TAG wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 02:13
Because Alonso has built such a reputation on being a top qualifier.
Yeah, Hamilton is the best qualifier just because he always had fast cars on his career :roll: Even being the 1st driver(ie, car always to his style/liking) he got massacred on 2014(14x7 to Rosberg) and lost most of the times on 2016 on the tough to pass places despite using the FPs to always do more laps, than Rosberg, on low fuel to prepare for qualifying while Rosberg was focusing on the races to take the championship. I wonder if Hamilton would get even a single pole during a season against the other F1 talents considering the so few poles he got on GP2 when everybody had the same car and he was on the best team (ART GP) :lol:

Hamilton leaves too much space on both the entry and exit of some corners just like Schumacher did on his dominant years. This is when a driver knows that if he pushes the car to 95%, of it's capability, it is already enough while others need to try to achieve 99% as often as possible

Here is my preview for the grid of this weekend: HAM, BOT, VET, RAI, VES, RIC, GRO, MAG. On the race it will be Mercedes 1-2 with a confortable gap

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

TAG wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 05:02
makecry wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 03:38

Eh. ALO has never had a car he can show his qualifying speed in last 10 years but he has been just as fast as anyone out there when he has had the car to show his speed. But yeah, carry on :)
It's not so much about the car it's about the teammate. If you think this record speaks volumes, then so be it. I have a different opinion based on these results and the guys he's gone up against. He makes up for it with great starts though. :)

https://i.imgur.com/vryYKFx.png

Anyway back on topic, he's sure to beat Vandoorne this weekend.
Can you share similar charts for vettel and hamilton? It looks fun!

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Artur Craft wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 01:21
TAG wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 02:13
Because Alonso has built such a reputation on being a top qualifier.
Yeah, Hamilton is the best qualifier just because he always had fast cars on his career :roll: Even being the 1st driver(ie, car always to his style/liking) he got massacred on 2014(14x7 to Rosberg) and lost most of the times on 2016 on the tough to pass places despite using the FPs to always do more laps, than Rosberg, on low fuel to prepare for qualifying while Rosberg was focusing on the races to take the championship. I wonder if Hamilton would get even a single pole during a season against the other F1 talents considering the so few poles he got on GP2 when everybody had the same car and he was on the best team (ART GP) :lol:

Hamilton leaves too much space on both the entry and exit of some corners just like Schumacher did on his dominant years. This is when a driver knows that if he pushes the car to 95%, of it's capability, it is already enough while others need to try to achieve 99% as often as possible

Here is my preview for the grid of this weekend: HAM, BOT, VET, RAI, VES, RIC, GRO, MAG. On the race it will be Mercedes 1-2 with a confortable gap

Are you being sarcastic? Seriously..:)

PlatinumZealot

Artur Craft wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 01:21

I am quite surprised that you haven't noticed Hamilton' driving style yet. He is not known for using the very edge of the track on exits like Vettel so blatantly does. Hamilton cuts the corner in a "V" shape and rotates the car earlier so he doesn't need to ride all the way out to the edge of the track. Nico had a similar style. I even think Nico was more aggressive with it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

FrukostScones wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 23:41
Grid: HAM VES RAI VET BOT RIC ALO GRO MAG VAN
Race: RAI VET ALO RIC
I don't think RAI finishing in front of VET, for the win, would be allowed to happen.

designf1
designf1

Vasconia

Expecting..

Qualy:

1. Hamilton
2. Bottas
3. Kimi
4. Vettel
5. Ricciardo
6. Verstappen
7. Sainz
8. Alonso
9. Hulkenberg
10. Perez

Race:

1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Verstappen
4. Sainz
5. Alonso
6. Ricciardo
7. Hulkenberg
8. Perez
9. Magnunssen
10. Grosjean

Hoping for...

1. Raikkonen
2. Vettel
3. Verstappen
4. Hamilton
5. Ricciardo
6. Sainz
7. Alonso.

Mattchu

If none of the Mercs or Ferrari`s has a bad Saturday then i can`t see Red Bull getting close in qualy. They may even get "done" by the Haas cars, the gap in Australia was ~1 sec which may just be do-able...

I hope Force India get their act together, for me they [along with Williams] have been the most dissapointing team with regards to improving the car.

Iv`e just read a few pages back a discussion about DRS zones and whether it should be allowed anywhere, etc. I`d quite like if they had the opportunity to use DRS anywhere on the circuit but only twice every 1 or 2 laps. This would add a bit of confusion [re: drivers] in there, also the pits wouldn`t be allowed to inform their driver if the guy behing used it...Maybe KERS is a safer way of doing it but crumbs the cars are very safe now, i`d imagine Danny Ric getting quite colourful with it :)

keithcollantine
keithcollantine

Not convinced they needed to extend the DRS zone. But then I'd scrap all of them at every track...