2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Artur Craft

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

GPR-A wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 19:33
You need to feel for the man. He has been living with the pain of seeing a driver that he doesn't like, getting poles, wins and Championships for all these years. Spare a thought. I do. :lol:
Glad you feel for me cause it's really been annoying :)

Back on the 90s I used to support Schumacher. Mainly because he was the best and had to fight against better machinery. On the 2000s, however, I stopped liking/apreciating his achievements because the competition was lower.

It's quite sad that fans like you(plural) like to see your idol win without fair(meaning more or less equal machinery) competition. Lewis pole this year reminded me of Schumacher 2004 pole. Both are so underwhelming and far from the track's edges.

Btw, my first post generated some huge debate here but I don't want to accept the fault for it. Some fans need to accept others opinions against their favourite drivers

TAG

Artur Craft wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 02:06
It's quite sad that fans like you(plural) like to see your idol win without fair(meaning more or less equal machinery) competition.
So much suffering.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

RedNEO

Will Buxton really took how you present F1 to a new level with this latest paddock pass. Full of enthusiasm and good energy from start to finish, asked all the right questions we want to hear, which gave him the perfect answers. First time I haven’t started gazing down down at the time stamp half way through like I do on sky coverage.

Mandrake

TAG wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 03:09
Artur Craft wrote:
It's quite sad that fans like you(plural) like to see your idol win without fair(meaning more or less equal machinery) competition.
So much suffering.
With all your replies you are essentially confirming his claims.

psychemedia

Competitive supertimes (normalised best time over quali/race) for Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir:

via: https://bah2018gp.f1datajunkie.com/the- ... supertimes

drunkf1fan

Artur Craft wrote:
It's quite sad that fans like you(plural) like to see your idol win without fair(meaning more or less equal machinery) competition. Lewis pole this year reminded me of Schumacher 2004 pole. Both are so underwhelming and far from the track's edges.
A lap is bad because it was away from the curbs? I suggest watching the comparison videos again, Hamilton was fast because he stayed off the curbs, Vettel was much slower because he took way too much curb. Hamilton took more curb last year and was slower because hitting some curbs shortens the track, other times it bounces you around and loses you grip. Hamilton stayed off curbs to get more power down earlier and he took lines to make sure his car was planted rather than bouncing around. One of the biggest obvious differences was T3 (in the Hamilton vs Vettel comparison, Kimi bounced around less than Vettel), Vettel took a tighter line but went too high up on the curb and bounced a lot. Hamilton used the curb but only the very edge, the car stayed completely solid on the ground throughout and his gains came in far far better exit. His gains through the whole lap are mostly in corners where Vettel hit a curb hard, bounced around and usually both ended up much further over the outside curbs on the exits and with less grip to get power down.

Hamilton's lap was mind blowing because every single corner he used the perfect amount of curb to speed up the corner but never too much to cause the car to lose grip/traction of compromise his exit. Both Ferrari cars too different lines in many corners and spent far longer bouncing around off the curb on apex and far longer on less grippy surfaces on corner exits.

Using curbs is only useful when they speed you up, using every curb for the sake of using every curb even when it's slower is not great driving and saying a lap is underwhelming because a driver used less curb.... which is the exact reason his lap was so fast, is just... I don't know, insane.

Manoah2u

Artur Craft wrote:
my first post generated some huge debate here but I don't want to accept the fault for it. Some fans need to accept others opinions against their favourite drivers
:lol:

well, here's a suggestion. how about that you apply the very same to yourself? :!: :P
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

langedweil wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 19:21
But on the other hand, it would be unknown when it is deployed adding to the surprise factor. When you’re the leading driver you’ve got no idea when/how, so you’ve got to be more ready. As the following driver you’d have to read the driver in front of you more, and think of a way to surprise.
I’d say that’ll be adding a lot to the real racing. At least a lot more than knowing beforehand when you’ll be passed by in the next lap.
totally offtopic,

maar geweldige username :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

johnny vee

Some numbers for Bahrain race

Hamilton may have seen victory slip through his fingers in Australia, but second place was enough to stretch his point-scoring streak to 26 races. Another top 10 finish in Bahrain will equal Kimi Raikkonen’s all-time record. In the grand scheme of things, it may seem insignificant, but make no bones about it - it would be a mighty achievement.

Speaking of Raikkonen, victory this weekend would move him ahead of Mika Hakkinen as the most successful Finnish driver in terms of race wins. The duo are currently tied on 20. However, despite scoring eight podiums in 12 attempts at Sakhir, the Iceman has never found his way to the top step. He has also never qualified on the front row in the desert.

After making it to 100 career podiums in Melbourne, Vettel will make a bit more history this weekend by joining the 200 race starts club - the 18th driver to do so. The German has so far scored four world championships, 48 wins and 50 poles in 199 Grand Prix weekends. Another win here will boost the confidence around the halls of Maranello.

For the superstitious out there, victory in Bahrain takes on even greater importance as nine of the previous 13 winners in the desert have gone on to win the drivers’ title...

Hamilton failed to convert pole into victory for the fifth time in seven attempts in Melbourne. In Bahrain, he has converted one of two poles into victory. If he can improve that record this weekend, he will surpass Michael Schumacher’s record of 40 wins from pole.

However, pole isn't the be all and end all. In only one of the last five races here has the pole-sitter claimed victory (Hamilton in 2015). Lining up at the sharp end, though, is imperative as the race has never been won from outside the first two rows of the grid.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... -know.html
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

Xero

Suspected turbo failure for Verstappen on his installation lap.

dren

Says team are inspecting an electrical issue with his car.
Honda!

jjn9128

Mercedes engine cover cooling outlet is running hot!

And the Haas pitstop practice went badly. Front left again.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

RZS10

It would surprise me if they wouldn't tell him to stop the car with a turbo failure, he was trying to get into the pits and then lost drive

Santozini

Any place to follow it live? Couldn't find anything on F1Today