2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
redmaxver

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Dr.mclaren wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:40
fouad1979 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:10
Benii6 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:05
Does anybody have an idea if the new nose (update) will help with the quali pace i.e. getting the tyres to work? I would imagine so, since nose directly affects front downforce. It's a shame they have to start so low on the grid, considering their race pace is ''only'' a good second off the front runners.
Spain its the real start for them its their they ll know where their place in the standing just behind the top 3 or not
I think we won't see the real McLaren until Silverstone, and they'll fight the top 3 in Hungary most probably!
Love your positivity, that would be an incredible turn of development. Not so sure if it'll come to pass... maybe a comfortable 4th by then.

TheGkbrk

I will be at Hungaroring in July, seeing Fernando on podium would be a shiny day of my life. Lets hope so !

McL-H

To everyone saying Alonso was not helped by the SC today, he was in P14 before the SC. 19(!) seconds down on Sainz, who had already stopped, just like all other cars in front of him who were not stopping anymore.

Him stopping a few laps before the SC came out, meant everyone in front of him made another stop, to fall back behind him. All drivers he was supposed to overtake in his draggy car were gone! Gap to Sainz was gone!

Yeah, serious disadvantage guys! Thanks for paying attention.

fouad1979

McL-H wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 22:28
redmaxver wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 19:31
McL-H wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 16:25
Still waiting for Eric’s head to roll. This is not good enough for a team like McLaren. Seventh place is all down to luck with the SC, otherwise points would not have been possible today.

Embarrassing performance... McLaren’s should be far in front of midfield at this stage. Should be challenging top 3 halfway during the season. Time to act, time to put an accomplished leader at the position of EB and to kick the marketing goerroe out and replace him with someone who knows how to manage a race team.

I feel as if this is all karma for sacking Ron Dennis. Must be hard for him seeing these incompetent fools destroying what’s left of the McLaren name.
Think this could be the most ridiculous comment of the day. SC was significant disadvantage today. Race pace is very good.

Also, you talk about Ron so much... starting to think you are Ron trying to get his job back? Give it a rest. Eric is doing a good job.
Man ur wrong the renault was on 2 stops and fernando on medium for 1 without SC ge was going to be 6 position ahead of hulk

fouad1979

McL-H wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 22:23
To everyone saying Alonso was not helped by the SC today, he was in P14 before the SC. 19(!) seconds down on Sainz, who had already stopped, just like all other cars in front of him who were not stopping anymore.

Him stopping a few laps before the SC came out, meant everyone in front of him made another stop, to fall back behind him. All drivers he was supposed to overtake in his draggy car were gone! Gap to Sainz was gone!

Ur wrong he was on medium on 1 stop and the renault on 2 stops ultra ultra then soft without SC he was going to take 6 ahead of hulk

Ground Effect

McL-H wrote:

Those in front of him were on 2 stops, they were always going to stop again. The safety car cut the total pit stop times, that's why it's referred to as a "free" stop.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

fouad1979

Dr.mclaren wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:40
fouad1979 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:10
Benii6 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:05
Does anybody have an idea if the new nose (update) will help with the quali pace i.e. getting the tyres to work? I would imagine so, since nose directly affects front downforce. It's a shame they have to start so low on the grid, considering their race pace is ''only'' a good second off the front runners.
Spain its the real start for them its their they ll know where their place in the standing just behind the top 3 or not
I think we won't see the real McLaren until Silverstone, and they'll fight the top 3 in Hungary most probably!
Before man u forget monaco but lets wait to see their upgrades then we.can dream after

ivanlesk

McL-H wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 16:25
Still waiting for Eric’s head to roll. This is not good enough for a team like McLaren. Seventh place is all down to luck with the SC, otherwise points would not have been possible today.

Embarrassing performance... McLaren’s should be far in front of midfield at this stage. Should be challenging top 3 halfway during the season. Time to act, time to put an accomplished leader at the position of EB and to kick the marketing goerroe out and replace him with someone who knows how to manage a race team.

I feel as if this is all karma for sacking Ron Dennis. Must be hard for him seeing these incompetent fools destroying what’s left of the McLaren name.
And there goes your credibility down the drain...

fouad1979

http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/201 ... b4628.html
This is an explanation about all the problems that Mclaren are facing right now hoping that the. Upgrades will erase them !

Bisonas

McL-H wrote:

In theory Alonso was fighting the Renault cars and the Haas cars for best of the rest,(P7). when track went SC yellow Alonso was on Fresh Mediums he had just pitted and was going to the end. HUL was 20 sec ahead, SAI was 13 sec, MAG was 10 sec and GRO was 5 Sec. SAI and HUL where on 18-19laps worn Mediums at the time and they had to stop again. GRO was on second US stint he had to stop again.
Only MAG was a question mark because he was on similar strategy with Alonso. He also pitted kinda late he could possibly go at the end.
As it turned out Mclaren had lower degradation and much better pace on Mediums than Haas and at some point he passed MAG and pull a gap on them.
IMO if we had no SC, Alonso would eventualy pass MAG as he did, and after Renaults had pitted he would be sitting P7 as best of the rest. From then on, HUL would have been quicker on track cause of fresh Soft tyres. It would all come down to Mclaren Tyre degradation and if Alonso had enough gap and enough pace to Keep HUL behind him. Either way he would be P7 or P8 with no SC.
SC didn't actualy change much in term of points for Mclaren. It just spiced up the show a bit.
I hope that clears things for you.
Last edited by Bisonas on 15 Apr 2018, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

RonDennis

They should replace Vandoorne as soon as possible, it's exactly the same as last year.

Alonso Fan

marvin78 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:28
Help me. I normally don't follow this driver stuff and mostly BS. But it sounds as Vettel did something really bad.
Lets see. Oh yes Vettel denied him two world championships in 2010 and 2012 and went on to win the others in 2011 and 2013 when Alonso couldn't fight. Then he went to ferrari in 2015 and started winning races and racking up podiums while Alonso was stuck with mclaren Honda for 3 years. On top of that Vettel looked to be in championship contention last year and looks to be again this year. He has his reasons alright. They might not justify his actions towards Vettel but he has his reasons. I remember Canada 2015 as one of the points where he made it very very difficult for Vettel to overtake.

You can tell from his on track battles that he has much more respect for Hamilton (Mexico 2017) and Ricciardo (Germany 2014). BTW I'm not defending him, just providing the info you wanted
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

diffuser

McL-H wrote:

You got it backwards. Sainz took advantage of the reduced time to pit by pitting under the SC. You're making an assumption that Sainz would have made it to the end of the race on the tires he had on, which on lap 31 had 19 laps on them. ALO had already carried his tires 29 laps.

Grosjean Didn't pit under the safety car and had to pit again on lap 46.

diffuser

Alonso Fan wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 23:52
marvin78 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:28
Help me. I normally don't follow this driver stuff and mostly BS. But it sounds as Vettel did something really bad.
Lets see. Oh yes Vettel denied him two world championships in 2010 and 2012 and went on to win the others in 2011 and 2013 when Alonso couldn't fight. Then he went to ferrari in 2015 and started winning races and racking up podiums while Alonso was stuck with mclaren Honda for 3 years. On top of that Vettel looked to be in championship contention last year and looks to be again this year. He has his reasons alright. They might not justify his actions towards Vettel but he has his reasons. I remember Canada 2015 as one of the points where he made it very very difficult for Vettel to overtake.

You can tell from his on track battles that he has much more respect for Hamilton (Mexico 2017) and Ricciardo (Germany 2014). BTW I'm not defending him, just providing the info you wanted
Think ALO been waiting 4 years to pass Ferrari on the track but I still think you're reading too much into the pass. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary. He just passed him by taking the racing line that he is entitled to.

zoroastar

fouad1979 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 22:47
McL-H wrote:

Ur wrong he was on medium on 1 stop and the renault on 2 stops ultra ultra then soft without SC he was going to take 6 ahead of hulk
but if there was no safety car, verstapen wouldnt have pitted for new tires, resulting in him not divebombing vettel. alonso may have passed hulk, but he definately wouldnt have passed vettel. he would have been 7th at best. we dont know for certain what renault would have done seein that they were going to be passed by alonso if they pitted.