2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
McHonda

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

Almost guaranteed SC going by some of spins and incidents we've seen so far. Leclerc in the castle section at some point is my guess. The Williams isn't great right now but Stroll was good around here last year but Sirotkin could be another. STR boys are both new around here as well I think.

It can catch the better drivers out as well though, Hulk last year was one, Lewis the year before, so it could just as easily be a title contender but I think we'll see a SC for sure.

FLuidd

Zynerji wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 16:00
godlameroso wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 05:58
Zynerji wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 23:28
Probably my least favorite track...
Why? Too many chicanes and 90 degree corners? Overtaking is possible, with the increased drag and aero requirements maybe even more.

It's possible to follow but any passing can only happen into turn 1.

If it's another 1 or 2 stopper it may be crazy.
I just don't like it... Ran it in the simulator, watched it on tv. Just my least favorite.
If there is one thing I have learned from the last race in China is that there is always better to start on softer tyre, specially if you get pole.

The main reason being that in a 1 on 1 situation, the threat of the undercut will be always present no matter if you start on the harder compound. So in essence might as well start on softest compound and see from there.

Vasconia

I like the slowest sections when they cars pass nex to the beautiful castle, but the corners are in many cases quite boring.

Last year was a great race so I hope this one can be as good as last year´s. It was amazing to see how big the gap was on qualy, could it be the same this year? I don´t think it, I expect a close battle between both teams but Mercedes should have the edge if they can make the tyres work.

johnny vee

For me there are a few battles to look out for in Baku
Vettel vs Hamilton
Ricciardo vs Bottas
Raikkonen FP1, 2, 3 and qualy vs Raikkonen in the race
Mclaren vs Torro Rosso
F1 strategy vs Safety Car
Verstappen vs Verstappen
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

F1NAC

Bahrein = into Hamilton
China = into Vettel

your prediction for next Verstappen's victim ? :D

Joke aside

I really hope that Ferrari can maintain their good performance on straights

netoperek

johnny vee wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 09:54
Verstappen vs Verstappen
So for an optimist, Max has to finish that clash as a winner, for pesimist finish as a looser and for realist finish prematurely? ;)

santos

My prediction is that a lot of carbon fiber will be destroyed at this race... :)

johnny vee

netoperek wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 10:26
johnny vee wrote:
Verstappen vs Verstappen
So for an optimist, Max has to finish that clash as a winner, for pesimist finish as a looser and for realist finish prematurely? ;)
true that

i should have maybe worded it like this -
Verstappen's good overtaking vs Verstappen's bad overtaking...
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

johnny vee

santos wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 10:49
My prediction is that a lot of carbon fiber will be destroyed at this race... :)
I concur...

iotar__

Bill_Kar wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 11:38
Last year it was absolutely obliterating Mercedes, so much that I don't know if it'll change much this year as well. Plus, it is time for LH to get his act together so I would bet in a Hamilton victory.
Do we have any (premature) prediction for the weather?
- Was it? Ferrari were close if not on par in the race.
- Wasn't their one lap advantage attributed to A. mythical engine advantage B. Ferrari's transitional phase of oil rules? Forget about the tyres and long wheel-base car that apparently can't be nimble enough to deal with tight street sections of Baku.
- I bet that if Merc is quicker it will be the return of magic engine advantage stories (hello C. Horner =D> ).
- Weird track, layout of contrasts and tyres = hard to predict between Merc and Ferrari.

Big Tea

johnny vee wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 11:01
netoperek wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 10:26
johnny vee wrote:
Verstappen vs Verstappen
true that

i should have maybe worded it like this -
Verstappen's good overtaking vs Verstappen's bad overtaking...
Start from front row, get away clean, no problem, no incidents (until the back markers :twisted: )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 19:26
Sevach wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 12:40
I don't like Ferrari's tire choices, might actually hurt them.
Even with drastically different choices between Mercedes and Ferrari in China, they had the same tyres in Q - 1 Med, 2 Softs and 3 Ultras. So it's more about learning about tyres during P1, 2 and 3 than using them during the race. Also, this is the last race teams had to choose tyres before running with them in Barcelona.
That usually happens, but this time Ferrari limited itself a little too much imo.

I'm quite sure both Ferrari's will have 1 soft, 1 SS and a bunch of US for the race, which might be fine, but they limited themselves in terms of what choices they can make.

With things like SCs maybe coming into play, they should have accounted for alternate strategies too.

aral

I would be reasonably sure that the Ferrari team are fully aware as to how their car uses each type of tyre, and their strategists will have chosen the tyres that in their educated opinion, will work best for them.

digitalrurouni

Ferrari have the 'sweeter' car and Mercedes has the 'diva'. I think Ferrari will walk this one.

Also this track is fun in the simulator (F1 2017) but I always feel like the tires can't dig deep in to the tarmac and give me the grip I want.

JPBD1990

I agree that the tyre allocations are almost pointless at this point. All this means is Ferrari will run more ultras in practice, Vettel will run his one spare SS, raikkonen will run his one spare S - and the allocations will be exactly the same for the race, or at least they won’t be incumbered by the decision. As someone above said, likely 1 soft, 1 SS and ultras left for the race which gives them plenty of options.

Additionally, based on previous years, it’s likely the soft will be useless here.