2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
toraabe

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

Verstappen needs to begin using his head..... If not he should be fired... His quota is empty

komninosm

Phil wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:11
Doubtful Bottas had any chance of winning it without a safety car. He was 12 second ahead of Vettel in 2nd - meaning after a stop at best 8 second behind Vettel and just ahead of Hamilton. With 12 laps to go, doubtful. He would have quite easily had Hamilton though.
Wasn't Hamilton catching up on Vettel whose Ferrari had trouble with softs? It was like already closer to 6 seconds gap.
I think without Safety Car Hamilton would catch up on Vettel just when Bottas caught up on both of them. Probably the podium would be Bottas > Hamilton > Vettel.
Why did Ferrari not put Ultrasofts on Vettel after Supersofts lasted for 80% of the race?

Phil

No. Vettel responded at the end, the gap was more or less stabilzed. They all sucked on the softs...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

komninosm

Restomaniac wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:56
jjn9128 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:17
No penalty for Ricciardo or Verstappen
In a statement issued by the stewards, they noted that Verstappen had made two moves to defend his position – but they added that Ricciardo had also played his part in what happened by braking so late.

"Both drivers contributed to the collision," said the statement. "The driver of car 33 [Verstappen] made two moves, both of which were relatively minor.

"The driver of car 3 [Ricciardo] admitted he left his move to overtake on the left, too late.

"It was obvious to the stewards that although the incident had its origins in the moves by car 33, the driver of car 3 also contributed to the incident.

"Both drivers expressed regret about their respective contributions to the incident, during the Stewards' hearing."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... h-1031835/
So once again Verstappen gets away with it. It's going to keep happening until he gets his wings clipped. I love the guy and can see the talent but he is far too reckless at times.
It IS going to keep happening unless they punish him finally.
Though they usually go easy on inter-team crashes. What happened back when Vettel crashed into Webber in the good old Red Bull times? I don't think Vettel got the penalty he deserved then either.

"The driver of car 3 [Ricciardo] admitted he left his move to overtake on the left, too late."
ROFLMAO what BS!
RIC left a move too late, he did it on the freakin straight, in previous race he made moves on the turn start LOL (long after breaking). Such BS excuses by FIA. Calling the two moves relatively minor, what a joke.
Verstappen is dangerous. He should have been penalized and fined and at least 3 points in his licence.
Last edited by komninosm on 29 Apr 2018, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Vettel165

Restomaniac wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:49
Vettel165 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 17:42
It doesnt matter right now, the race is done, what ifs doesnt matter. Now I will have to wait again for that 14 painful days. Even thought Ferrari will be on pole it doesnt matter, because the SC will come and destroy our race like in China and here.
Mate please calm down. It's only the 4th race of the season and nothing is won or lost yet.
It hurts.

komninosm

Phil wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 21:02
No. Vettel responded at the end, the gap was more or less stabilzed. They all sucked on the softs...
I think it felt like Hamilton was faster and only losing time when passing back-markers. The gap was up to 10 seconds and it was closing to 6 seconds before safety car. It's hard to see that with the timings though. Still doesn't explain why Ferrari didn't give Ultrasofts to Vettel though. Was he out of tires?

Restomaniac

komninosm wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 21:04
Restomaniac wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:56
jjn9128 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:17
No penalty for Ricciardo or Verstappen

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... h-1031835/
So once again Verstappen gets away with it. It's going to keep happening until he gets his wings clipped. I love the guy and can see the talent but he is far too reckless at times.
It IS going to keep happening unless they punish him finally.
Though they usually go easy on inter-team crashes. What happened back when Vettel crashed into Webber in the good old Red Bull times? I don't think Vettel got the penalty he deserved then either.

"The driver of car 3 [Ricciardo] admitted he left his move to overtake on the left, too late."
ROFLMAO what BS!
RIC left a move too late, he did it on the freakin straight, in previous race he made moves on the turn start LOL (long after breaking). Such BS excuses by FIA. Calling the two moves relatively minor, what a joke.
Verstappen is dangerous. He should have been penalized and fined and 6 points in his licence.
Indeed. Look at Verstappen's reaction today then look at Bottas' in China. 1 driver thought he could do what he liked and the other 1 knew what fair racing looks like.

Bottas could have done what Verstappen did today. But he knew the position was lost and reacted accordingly.

Restomaniac

Vettel165 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 21:06
Restomaniac wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:49
Vettel165 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 17:42
It doesnt matter right now, the race is done, what ifs doesnt matter. Now I will have to wait again for that 14 painful days. Even thought Ferrari will be on pole it doesnt matter, because the SC will come and destroy our race like in China and here.
Mate please calm down. It's only the 4th race of the season and nothing is won or lost yet.
It hurts.
It's swings and roundabouts you can't accept the highs of Melbourne without the lows of today. Comments about not watching F1 anymore is an overeaction and makes it sound like a dummy spit unfortunately. Hence why I think you should calm down mate.

Vettel165

Hope Seb and Kimi used all the bad luck for this season. All I want guys is a boring 1-2 for Ferrari in Spain. It hurts what happened today, but there are still 425 points remaining, I am confident that the luck will equal out in this season, maybe we will have more it at the end of season, which is more important. Seb is 4 points behind, but without safety car in Australia he should be 24 points down, with the better luck though in last 2 races we could be at least 15 points ahead of Lewis. But at least we look to have the fastest car, looks like in terms of points the season is starting brand new in Barcelona, so the fifth race of the season it is looking like it is the first one. I will never stop believing in my team (Ferrari).

Forza Ferrari, Vettel, Kimi.

Restomaniac

Vettel165 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 21:14
Hope Seb and Kimi used all the bad luck for this season. All I want guys is a boring 1-2 for Ferrari in Spain. It hurts what happened today, but there are still 425 points remaining, I am confident that the luck will equal out in this season, maybe we will have more it at the end of season, which is more important. Seb is 4 points behind, but without safety car in Australia he should be 24 points down, with the better luck though in last 2 races we could be at least 15 points ahead of Lewis. But at least we look to have the fastest car, looks like in terms of points the season is starting brand new in Barcelona, so the fifth race of the season it is looking like it is the first one. I will never stop believing in my team (Ferrari).
With the greatest of respect you're being nothing like impartial
The luck so far has already been very equal.

foxmulder_ms

Vestappen is really going wrong about his racing. Some may want to see him as a fighter but he is more like a spoiled child. With overall situation Rebull has to accept some blame too. They are trying to engineer a mythic character with Vestappen (younger winner) to sell drinks :) I feel like they are not even thinking about points that much anymore. If they would let Ricc to pass, he would have been in front of Lewis. Also, I cannot believe the stewards decision. So, double moves for defending is free to do now. If Ricc is smart he has to move to another team. This is crazy :D

Vettel did a rookie move. I am not really shocked by it though. He has a history of cracking under pressure or panic for some weird reasons time to time. Twice per season average :D

This season Ham is average so far but from now on, Lewis should be fired up.

Another thing, Ocon was to blame for turn 2, too.

TAG

What happened? Verstappen.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Juzh

komninosm wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:59
Phil wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:11
Doubtful Bottas had any chance of winning it without a safety car. He was 12 second ahead of Vettel in 2nd - meaning after a stop at best 8 second behind Vettel and just ahead of Hamilton. With 12 laps to go, doubtful. He would have quite easily had Hamilton though.
Wasn't Hamilton catching up on Vettel whose Ferrari had trouble with softs? It was like already closer to 6 seconds gap.
I think without Safety Car Hamilton would catch up on Vettel just when Bottas caught up on both of them. Probably the podium would be Bottas > Hamilton > Vettel.
Why did Ferrari not put Ultrasofts on Vettel after Supersofts lasted for 80% of the race?
On the same lap when SC was called out, which was just after vettel and bottas crossed sector 2 line, vettel probably finnaly got his tire temps up and he was about to smash fastest lap at the time, but then SC came out. Judging by ric's unexpectedly slow outlap on US tires, it's fair to say without SC vettel easily wins the race, even with bottas doing a late charge.Bottas would first have to go trough hamilton, losing him more time, and at that point gap would be at least 8s in favour of vettel, if not more.

Phil

komninosm wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 21:07
Phil wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 21:02
I think it felt like Hamilton was faster and only losing time when passing back-markers. The gap was up to 10 seconds and it was closing to 6 seconds before safety car. It's hard to see that with the timings though. Still doesn't explain why Ferrari didn't give Ultrasofts to Vettel though. Was he out of tires?
I know what you mean, and believe me, i was really hopeful too and did notice the time coming down, but if you also check Bottas time, it is quite evident that all times were fluctuating a bit. Overall, both Hamilton and Vettel were losing to Bottas as a result of the soft tire. Even if Hamilton was quicker than Vettel, he wasnt quick enough to close that gap in time, IMO.

Just_a_fan

Spent the afternoon in the pub. Got home to find Hammy had won. No idea what happened. Not bothered because happy beer head trumps sporty nonsense every time.

Beer. Woo hoo!

Is it worth watching the highlights? :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.