2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 15:47
Restomaniac wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 15:05
Shrieker wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 12:46

Yes I have. Apart from a few bits where I went to grab drinks and stuff.
Then I'm very surprised you didn't notice the entire field driving through the pits and didn't notice the commentary stating as such.
Don't you mean, who has time for "drinks and stuff" when a race is on live? ?
I never thought of that TBH.

Wynters
Wynters

Did Sirotkin really get a penalty for being squeezed by Hulkenberg? Really? I normally try and cut the Stewards some slack but that's truly ridiculous.

NathanOlder

I was told it was for punting a force india up the backside in to T2
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wynters
Wynters

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:01
I was told it was for punting a force india up the backside in to T2
Ah, OK. That makes far more sense. Thank you for the clarification.

sAx
sAx

Phil wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 14:40
sAx wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 14:18
My point is not related to wrong numbers/deltas....it is about the VSC destroying a race by restricting all other than those entering the pits to a target speed.
Melbourne just exaggerated the case that the pit entry isn't exactly part of the track and Vettel used this fully to his advantage.
Precisely my point about the VSC in Melbourne!
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

Andres125sx

George-Jung wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:06
Wynters wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 16:54
Starts left. Goes right. Goes left.
And that is perfectly ‘legal’.. because that 2nd move....
Are you really saying he made 2 moves but at the same time trying to defend it was legal?

What part of "only one move allowed" you didn´t understand?

santos
santos

I don't see the gap on the inside, and when Max closed the door, it was to late for Dan to make another move. But i put the blame on the guys on the pit wall. There was a collision already, Horner should have done something.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Wynters wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:17
George-Jung wrote:
The racing line is not a fixed thing; it is the line you’re racing at the moment of time from where onwards you could make ‘moves’.. because you are always allowed to move back to side from where you initiated the move (incase there is room)
:wtf: How do you know what the "moment in time" is when "you could make 'moves'"? What are these 'moves' you refer to? Where are these defined of mentioned in the regulations?
George-Jung wrote:
Of course you have a ‘normal racing line’ which is the most optimum to go as fast as possible around a specific track.
That's exactly what 'The racing line' is. That's why its referred to as 'The racing line' in the regulations. It's not 'the driver's racing line' or 'a racing line' or 'Verstappen's personal racing line that lets him do stupid things'... it's The racing line'.

Have you never wondered why all the experienced drivers (with an awful lot of WDCs between them) have all said 'Weaving in the braking zone is really stupid, against the regs, and will lead to an accident sooner rather than later"? Have you never wondered why other people don't do this really obvious thing that stops people overtaking them?
Here, have a look.. yellow is normal racing line.. there is no ‘fixed’ racing line.

And of course I don’t mean zigzagging down the straight.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 18:46
George-Jung wrote:
Wynters wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 16:54
Starts left. Goes right. Goes left.
And that is perfectly ‘legal’.. because that 2nd move....
Are you really saying he made 2 moves but at the same time trying to defend it was legal?

What part of "only one move allowed" you didn´t understand?
This is how people create fake news by just quoting partly, as they see fit.

Well done.
George-Jung wrote:

And that is perfectly ‘legal’.. because that 2nd move is the move back...
Article 20.3: More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.

Andres125sx

Thanks, now you can continue inventing poor excuses about imaginary racing lines :D

jz11
jz11

he doesn't understand that the bold section he quoted from the rule book is talking about the outside of the corner, not the inside, so now a special "Max" clarification is obviously needed in the rule book

George-Jung
George-Jung

Lets agree to disagree.

If you do not want to understand, than all I have to say left is; Max left THE RACING LINE wide open.. he did not defend THE RACING LINE.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:42
notsofast wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:41
In a statement issued by the stewards, they noted that Verstappen had made two moves to defend his position
[...]
Both drivers expressed regret about their respective contributions to the incident, during the Stewards' hearing.
RBR needs both cars in the points to have any chance at all to get P2 in the constructor's championship. A penalty against Verstappen would have been detrimental. The stewards acknowledged that Verstappen made two moves. I'm thinking that RBR offered some kind of incentive to Ricciardo to get him to accept some of the blame, to avoid a penalty against Verstappen.
Agree, I can´t understand how Ricciardo admitted some culpability. If he made the move too late as he expressed, then the defending move from Max to the left is even later, wich means, while braking.

There´re no rule restricting movements from the chasing car, at the straight or while braking, one, two or seven, and soon or late, no rule at the respect. But there´s a rule wich does not allow to move while braking, so it does not matter how late was Daniel movement, but it´s crucial if Max reacted after that, while braking

This is another episode of "how politics can ruin F1" #-o
They showed the onboards of Verstappen and Ricciardo yesterday but Verstappen didn't brake right away after "correcting" left. And as far as I know they scrapped the moving under braking rule and replaced it with:
27.4 At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person.
Which leaves a shitload of debate open.

But the crash probably was inevitable anyway, Ricciardo was going way faster when Verstappen started braking... so it's just a hunch but Ricciardo would have slammed into Verstappen anyway by missing the corner.
They both have equal blame in my opinion but the guys at the pitwall should've kept them in check after the pitstop... or even after the wheelbanging; it was just not worth taking the risk.

Phil

George-Jung wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 19:38
Lets agree to disagree.

If you do not want to understand, than all I have to say left is; Max left THE RACING LINE wide open.. he did not defend THE RACING LINE.
So what was Max doing when he moved right just after Dan did?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

jz11
jz11

this is starting to get really funny :D

George, you do understand that the dummy by the defender is what the rule book is trying to prevent, don't you? the weaving/blocking thing that Max is so "good" at? because if everyone coming with DRS advantage from behind is going to expect this sort of BS from the defender (Max especially), you are not going to see any overtakes at all, just crashes like happened here

all you are going to see - defender on the inside line pushing the overtaker into the grass on the corner exit - another Maxes trademark move

99,99% of the people who understand racing and are still watching the sport are looking exactly for this - how the overtaker is going to trick the defender and put him in an disadvantage, all you Max defenders want to see is Max taking the inside line and running the defender out of the road on exit, pathetic...