2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FrukostScones

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Easy HAM borefest siesta. Not worth watching.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Phil

GPR-A wrote:
21 May 2018, 19:01
The only glimmer of hope for Mercedes is, they have moved to the opposite spectrum of tyre issues, where they are now having issues with warming up the tyres, Hypersoft could be a saving grace as it is the softest in the range and should heat up faster too. If this is true, then they should feel OK.
This. Exactly my thoughts too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

MtthsMlw

Ahead of the Monaco GP.

godlameroso

Weather for the weekend, going to be a nice one, not too windy, temperatures mild, track temperature will be high, it won't be an issue to turn on the tires. For once a dry normal weekend, it's still going to be a crash fest. The rear tires are going to need some looking after, and track position is king around here.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

foxmulder_ms wrote:
21 May 2018, 17:34
Love&hate for me.

Love the qualifying here.

Hate the race.
Pretty much sums it up for me. It's great watching these silly-fast cars trying to get around the streets as fast as they can in qualifying. The race is usually just a pointless procession unless something odd happens. A decent shower of rain, for example, can work wonders. Can't be so heavy that Charlie throws the safety car out, but heavy enough that they need to make tyre choices.

Otherwise, if it's dry there'll be a few crashes in to T1 and perhaps a VSC or two which might make it a bit more "interesting" but there is no real racing here. It's worse than any Tilke circuit in that regard.

Watching an F1 car in Q3 through the sea front section is amazing, however.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

turbof1

Guys, please stay on topic. No more conjecture about Pirelli handing out purposely advantages to particular teams. Such discussion will always, ALWAYS lead to frustration and anger to one another.
#AeroFrodo

GrandAxe

My prediction for this weekend remains the same for all race weekends ... Grosjean will spin, Grosjean will not win.

GPR-A duplicate2

turbof1 wrote:
21 May 2018, 22:13
Guys, please stay on topic. No more conjecture about Pirelli handing out purposely advantages to particular teams. Such discussion will always, ALWAYS lead to frustration and anger to one another.
I have a hunch that, Hypersofts are specifically made for Mercedes. If they get pole, it would be confirmed. :twisted:

Fulcrum

Ricciardo for pole and the win? He's been threatening it a few times already.

Hartley to crash.
Grosjean to crash.
Magnussen to crash someone.
Leclerc to outperform on Saturday and provide an epic road block on Sunday.

NathanOlder

LM10 wrote:
21 May 2018, 19:30
GPR-A wrote:
21 May 2018, 19:01
dans79 wrote:
21 May 2018, 18:46

what are you trying to say, this sentence makes no sense.
May be he is saying, Mercedes were class of the field in qualifying last year and hence they were closer by 0.002 and because this year, they aren't the fastest in qualifying, they might be quite far behind. Theoretically, it might be correct.

The only glimmer of hope for Mercedes is, they have moved to the opposite spectrum of tyre issues, where they are now having issues with warming up the tyres, Hypersoft could be a saving grace as it is the softest in the range and should heat up faster too. If this is true, then they should feel OK.
Exactly
But last year Ferrari had a decent advantage in the shorter wheelbase , where as this year they went longer while Merc stayed pretty much the same. Hence why red bull with their shorter wheelbase are likely to do very well here in Monaco.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zibby43

NathanOlder wrote:
22 May 2018, 08:59
But last year Ferrari had a decent advantage in the shorter wheelbase , where as this year they went longer while Merc stayed pretty much the same. Hence why red bull with their shorter wheelbase are likely to do very well here in Monaco.
My thoughts exactly.

Mercedes and Red Bull were virtually neck-and-neck through Sector 3 at Barcelona in testing. Several trackside analysts noted how smooth the W09 looked through that sector. The W09, unlike the W08, is actually pretty comfortable in slow, tight corners.

Both the RB14 and W09 have developed quite a bit since testing. I know the RB14 was mighty in Sector 3 again over the course of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend. Was the W09 strong there again as well?

On a related note, the "drivability" of the Merc PU out of slow corners is something that often gets overlooked.

Hamilton's Q3 lap was sabotaged last year but before his final attempt was scuttled (Vandoorne?), I believe Lewis went purple in Sector 2. Bottas was close to a front row position, too.

I think the W09 may be a bit underrated heading into the race this year. We'll see.

Vasconia

FrukostScones wrote:
21 May 2018, 21:08
Easy HAM borefest siesta. Not worth watching.
It could be a borefest but I doubt it Will be a race for Hamilton. RB has the biggest chance here, they should get the pole and victory. It Will be a close battle between Ferrari and Mercedes but the Italians must be ahead thanks to these hypersoft tyres.

zibby43

This is likely relevant for this weekend . . .

Mercedes asking for clarification on oil burning. Another oil burning loophole closed as a result . . .

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... e-1040317/

ian_s

ricciardo pole, vestappen 2nd, 1st corner vestappen takes out ricciardo, double RB DNF

TwanV

ian_s wrote:
22 May 2018, 14:47
ricciardo pole, vestappen 2nd, 1st corner vestappen takes out ricciardo, double RB DNF
This is getting old.. #-o. I wouldn't be surprised if RB make it a 1-2 on saturday but with VES on top, RIC wasn't quite comfortable with the "twitchy" new updates in spain at least. In any case I think even RB would have team-orders in that situation for the first corner.