2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gothrek

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Dont forget Verstappen, I wouldn’t wanna start next to him. He likes to crash Monaco as well.

Sieper

No he doesn't. Last year he performed great, only to loose his position due to a team order. 2016 They went for slicks just a tad too early but he was massively quick on the inters, 2015 I still believe Grosjean couldn't take being overtaken twice and wanted to show Max a lesson.

godlameroso

Gothrek wrote:
23 May 2018, 13:36
Dont forget Verstappen, I wouldn’t wanna start next to him. He likes to crash Monaco as well.
Very good chance he starts on pole.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

Gothrek wrote:

That is not true! Last year he had to follow a teamorder, because RBR had messed up Ric race in 2016.
He ended up 5th because of the teamorder, otherwise he had ended up higher.
I hope Verstappen will start from pole or 2th place.
The Power of Dreams!

ian_s

Gothrek wrote:
I dont think he likes to crash, he just can't help it.

dren

Sieper wrote:
23 May 2018, 13:22
The Grosjean bashing is getting old. Yes he made a big mess of the Spain start (also helped by Kmag's move) but indeed badly handled (pulling a smoke curtain whilst keeping his foot down and spinning all over the track) but he was actually having a very decent start up to the moment Kmag's side step surprised him. I think he will be the most careful starter of all in Monaco.
Grosjean's 2013 Monaco weekend:

Honda!

Gothrek

Sieper wrote:
23 May 2018, 13:58
No he doesn't. Last year he performed great, only to loose his position due to a team order. 2016 They went for slicks just a tad too early but he was massively quick on the inters, 2015 I still believe Grosjean couldn't take being overtaken twice and wanted to show Max a lesson.
Wouter wrote:
23 May 2018, 14:36
That is not true! Last year he had to follow a teamorder, because RBR had messed up Ric race in 2016.
Wow you guys have short memories - I wouldn't wanna be close to him on this race:

2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvIW1NBZOy8
2016 QA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y-Zm-dBcng
2016 Race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dwP91CbWfQ

bblundell72

Wouter wrote:
Gothrek wrote:

Actually that is not true!

Team orders didn't put Ricciardo ahead of Verstappen. The team saw the pace early stoppers were getting from super-softs and Max was stuck behind Bottas. They tried for the undercut to get ahead of Bottas but Max pulled into his pit at an angle causing a slower stop which allowed Bottas to cover Max.

This gave Ricciardo clean air to run longer and make the over cut work to jump both Max and Bottas. Team orders had nothing to do with it.

Sieper

bblundell72 wrote:
23 May 2018, 16:08
Wouter wrote:
Gothrek wrote:

Team orders didn't put Ricciardo ahead of Verstappen. The team saw the pace early stoppers were getting from super-softs and Max was stuck behind Bottas. They tried for the undercut to get ahead of Bottas but Max pulled into his pit at an angle causing a slower stop which allowed Bottas to cover Max.

This gave Ricciardo clean air to run longer and make the over cut work to jump both Max and Bottas. Team orders had nothing to do with it.
That is incorrect, they pulled Max in first as Bottas then had to react (Max was on his tail) so either the undercut (by Max) or the overcut (by Ric) would have gotten one RBR in front of him. To RBR it was not so important who would get in front, they just wanted the guarantee that at least 1 car did. If they would have pulled Ric in First Bottas might not have reacted and possibly then both undercuts would have failed and no RBR car would then have been in front of Bottas.

100% this was a team order. defendable but it was an order.

I was actually fearing the exact same scenario last race when Max was on Kimi's tail and Ricci was trailing them both (after Ricci had made good the 2,5 seconds he lost when he ran wide just after the SC after Grosjaean start pile up was withdrawn). Luckily (for RBR) kimis engine gave in so we will never know if the Monaco 2017 trick would have been played again.

tinvek

Sieper wrote:
The Grosjean bashing is getting old. Yes he made a big mess of the Spain start (also helped by Kmag's move) but indeed badly handled (pulling a smoke curtain whilst keeping his foot down and spinning all over the track) but he was actually having a very decent start up to the moment Kmag's side step surprised him. I think he will be the most careful starter of all in Monaco.

joking apart i actually like grosjean, he's spent most of his career being ultra consistent in his performance no matter what formula he was in, indeed so regular was his pace that for a long time RLM jokingly referred to him as the S.I. unit of measurement for different drivers, but in F1 at times he seems to doubt his own ability and feels the pressure when a team mate is doing well and as a result makes stupid mistakes, the baku one on it's own was no worse than montoya spinning on the warm up lap but as has happened before, he seemed to carry the mistake into the next race rather than putting it behind him. hopefully he'll get a decent race soon and be able to bounce back

Sieper

The press (and his team manager) also play a role. I dont even agree with the narrative that Kmag is doing much better then grosjean this season but indeed, that will put extra pressure on him. And the radio “I think Ericsson hit us” was from his race engineer to Romain, not the other way around, but that also plays a big part in people ridiculing him even more. Monaco is a tough track to having to keep your head down, but on the other hand, a chance as well.

TwanV

Sieper wrote:
23 May 2018, 17:41
bblundell72 wrote:
23 May 2018, 16:08
Wouter wrote:

That is incorrect, they pulled Max in first as Bottas then had to react (Max was on his tail) so either the undercut (by Max) or the overcut (by Ric) would have gotten one RBR in front of him. To RBR it was not so important who would get in front, they just wanted the guarantee that at least 1 car did. If they would have pulled Ric in First Bottas might not have reacted and possibly then both undercuts would have failed and no RBR car would then have been in front of Bottas.

100% this was a team order. defendable but it was an order.

I was actually fearing the exact same scenario last race when Max was on Kimi's tail and Ricci was trailing them both (after Ricci had made good the 2,5 seconds he lost when he ran wide just after the SC after Grosjaean start pile up was withdrawn). Luckily (for RBR) kimis engine gave in so we will never know if the Monaco 2017 trick would have been played again.
Yeah I remember it too.. The second he pitted I was pretty cheesed off (as Damon would put it) by that. Who can blame red bull though, very smart teamwork. Anyway for us VES fans let's hope that what comes around goes around:)

NathanOlder

Yeah, like someone taking him out when its not his fault for a change.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Gothrek

TwanV wrote:
23 May 2018, 19:51

Yeah I remember it too.. The second he pitted I was pretty cheesed off (as Damon would put it) by that. Who can blame red bull though, very smart teamwork. Anyway for us VES fans let's hope that what comes around goes around:)
You want other people to crash into him? :wink:

Manoah2u

dren wrote:
23 May 2018, 15:43
Sieper wrote:
Grosjean's 2013 Monaco weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJbXlxFPBs

and this legendary piece of fantastic camera footage

some actual Grosjean quotes
I always wake up kind of early - well, early for me, which is about 8 A.M.
I usually sleep ten to eight hours per night. I sometimes also have a nap in the afternoon
seems like he's mostly sleeping when he's in the car #-o

and this one

i'd say he's having a lot of nightmares
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"