2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Fulcrum

I think Ricciardo is going to walk away at the front if he leads through turn 1. If he does, his first priority will be to build a pitstop advantage over Raikkonen, taking the 2nd Ferrari out of range of strategic interference. From that point Red Bull will simply cover off whoever happens to be behind him. Probably going to be very boring if this transpires.

Which is why there will probably be a safety car, and Ricciardo will get the worst of it! On a side note, shots every time the commentators say "tyres".

Vettel165

Well I think Ricciardo is gonna dominate the field tomorrow and will win with ease.

PlatinumZealot

There will be safety cars because of the number of crash prone drivers this year is at an all time high.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

Yeah, and max is going to be trying to pass them
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

Fulcrum wrote:
26 May 2018, 16:59
If he does, his first priority will be to build a pitstop advantage over Raikkonen, taking the 2nd Ferrari out of range of strategic interference. From that point Red Bull will simply cover off whoever happens to be behind him. Probably going to be very boring if this transpires.
The thing is, a pitstop takes around 24s around Monaco. That's a long stop and I'm not sure the Hyper-Softs can be run long enough to drive out that kind of gap even in the quickest car this year.

Raikkonen and Bottas might be key-players into tomorrows place, as they are both the 2nd drivers behind their respective team-mates starting from position 4th and 5th respectively. I don't think Mercedes is cunning enough to play the strategic game (and use the 2nd driver as a pawn) and will simply race and let the chips fall where they fall. Ferrari on the other hand, they'll go a far way to snitch that win with Vettels car IMO.

Going from Hyper-Softs to Ultra-softs might prove difficult tomorrow. They'll need to do that, to keep a one-stop-strategy alive, but this will mean that they'll probably be going onto a harder tire that will not reach its optimum grip level until perhaps a lap or two. So the undercut will not work.

From RedBulls perspective:

If Ricciardo stops first, he'll probably fall behind both Kimi and Bottas. This means that either team could use their driver as a blockade to help their other driver ahead to pull out a gap and gain track position over the leader.

Alternative is to run as long possible until the cars directly behind him start to pit. Then you can react to those pitstops and mirror strategy if need be.

From Ferrari's (Vettels) perspective:

Pitting first will be a problem, as you'll be going onto slower tires so pitting early won't help. So from Ferrari's perspective I'd try to go as long as possible, further beyond RedBull. Then use your second driver to block (assuming he'll be ahead of the RedBull). The thing is though, I assume RedBull's wear will be just as good if not better than the other cars, so he'll probably be happy to stay out too for as long as he must.

What I'm wondering is, if there are some teams that will simply dedicate themselves to a 2-stop race. I.e. Vettel stops before Dan, but pits for another set of Hypers (instead of Ultras). This means his outlap will be fast, possible fast enough to pull of an undercut if he is close enough. RedBull will come in, and if they know they have just lost track position, will probably stay out long and then go for the one-stop on ultras. If they can't make the one-stop work however, the HS-HS-US might yield better when the 2nd stop arrives...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

DVB

Hmm if the HS is only going to last 7 laps, they won't do a HS HS US. They will make it a HS SS US if they do a 2 stop. A 1 stop is a HS SS offcourse!

Well, Max screwed this up for a Red Bull win. Strategic they are f*cked deep.

Never got the plan to do be on 1st spot in FP3, other then u could crash and ruin your QF.

At least Max his crash made the race interesting strategic wise! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

TheGkbrk

Will SS make it to the end on a 1 stop?

Phil

I think the SS is too crap here to be used. Too high working range.... sure if you have track position, it’ll work, bit not if you lose too much time coming out on them and everyone else is overcutting you......?

(At least for Mercedes)
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vanja #66

All of Dani Ric's strategies will be useless if he botches the start (as he tends to do). Hopefully, he doesn't.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach

You guys are overthinking this...
HS will be carried safely for 20 laps and then US to the end, no big deal.

Wynters

Sevach wrote:
26 May 2018, 18:32
Agreed. The last few years have been filled with "This tyre will barely make it around the formation lap before it EXPLODES!" then, once the race gets started "[Insert favourite driver here] has made these tyres last for 20 laps and there doesn't seem to be much sign of degradation."

I really hope I'm wrong. It'd be great to see the leading cars actually having to overtake after their first pitstops...but experiences suggests otherwise :( .

F1NAC

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2018, 18:24
All of Dani Ric's strategies will be useless if he botches the start (as he tends to do). Hopefully, he doesn't.
Good all Aussie anti-stall would be good :D

sosic2121

Sevach wrote:
26 May 2018, 18:32
Agreed!
This is a one stop season (despite pirelli). Every race so far one stop was the best strategy, and i certainly don't think that is going to change here!

Phil

Sure, they can get the HS to last, if they tip toe around the track at a slower pace. This might make them suspect to undercuts though?

What i can see happening is that the front runner drives a “wait and see race”. At some point, the mid field, maybe even Bottas or Kimi might pit early. This may then cascade towards the front as every car ahead reacts to the car behind. If the undercut is faster, it will be crucial for there to be a big enough gap to react a lap later.
#Team44 supporter