2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Per
Per

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

loner wrote:
27 May 2018, 22:12
and suddenly SVD got a big mouth ...
It was about time he banged his fist on the table and demanded a bit better treatment! His race strategies get screwed up every other race, and the story about the front wings at Monaco was simply deplorable (even worse than Red Bull at Silverstone 2010). Vandoorne has been a good boy for too long. McLaren are making him look worse than he is, not the other way around.

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
27 May 2018, 22:00
diffuser wrote:
27 May 2018, 17:17
makecry wrote:
27 May 2018, 17:08

Alonso did a 17.0x with softs tires and almost 3/5ths of tank of fuel when he was in clean air. They had really good race pace in clean air.

I don't think you can look at anybodies raw pace except for Max ...he did a 1:14 in a couple of laps.

Especially Alonso ...he knows what it takes and he'll put-in the times he needs, no more.

McLaren was faster Renault.
Absolutley not!
You can make that conclusion when both Mclarens are faster than other team.
Alonso might have been faster but Vandoorne was slower than Renault, FI,and TR barely faster than Haas.
So,same old story....Alonso makes the car look fast, in reality its slow.

I am 200% sure Alonso would be very close(not in the same pace) but very close to top 3 teams in a Renault.
Does ALO make it look fast or does Van make it look slow? Put Hamilton/Ricardo, Max in...Hell even Hulk or Saintz ....would they be closer to ALO in the McLaren ?

diffuser

BrunoH wrote:
27 May 2018, 19:40
Alonso is easy making the Mclaren in race pace 0.3 to 0.5 seconds faster than it should be with any other regular f1 driver.
Problem is i dont see him next year in Mclaren.
A Shame for the Gear box issue, wold have been again some good points for them.
Alonso is very good in Canada, hope Mclaren match it with a good working upgrade .

Question, is the Renault update coming for Canada?
Yep and the new MGU-K.

godlameroso

McLaren knows what they need to do, now it's just a matter of putting it on the car.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
28 May 2018, 01:45
BrunoH wrote:
Alonso is easy making the Mclaren in race pace 0.3 to 0.5 seconds faster than it should be with any other regular f1 driver.
Alonso is very good in Canada, hope Mclaren match it with a good working upgrade .

Yep and the new MGU-K.
Unbelievable how you wait for weeks to lead to this disappointment. I hope they fix their transmission issues, which I think might be due to rear suspension, and bring a big upgrade because this is unacceptable.
And holy cow! What on Earth did they do to poor Stoffel. Should've put him on supersoft from the get go till the end; he could've easily gotten 6th since overtaking was impossible

M840TR
M840TR

Fun fact, Alonso’s Q3 time was slower than last year’s pole on a tyre more than a second faster.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
28 May 2018, 07:14
Fun fact, Alonso’s Q3 time was slower than last year’s pole on a tyre more than a second faster.
What was Jenson's Q3 time last year?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
28 May 2018, 03:51
diffuser wrote:
BrunoH wrote:

Yep and the new MGU-K.
Unbelievable how you wait for weeks to lead to this disappointment. I hope they fix their transmission issues, which I think might be due to rear suspension, and bring a big upgrade because this is unacceptable.
And holy cow! What on Earth did they do to poor Stoffel. Should've put him on supersoft from the get go till the end; he could've easily gotten 6th since overtaking was impossible
Stoffel should have gone longer on the first stint. He started the race on new Ultra's, no reason he couldn't have done what Max or Hulk did. I don't know if he's tyres were off or not, but what was the point going only one lap longer than Fernando? Or am I wrong on that, didn't he pit a lap after Fernando?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
28 May 2018, 07:25
M840TR wrote:
28 May 2018, 07:14
What was Jenson's Q3 time last year?
1:13.613

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
28 May 2018, 07:31
M840TR wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Yep and the new MGU-K.
Stoffel should have gone longer on the first stint. He started the race on new Ultra's, no reason he couldn't have done what Max or Hulk did. I don't know if he's tyres were off or not, but what was the point going only one lap longer than Fernando? Or am I wrong on that, didn't he pit a lap after Fernando?
Pitted one lap after Alonso. Hulkenberg went 50 laps on ultrasofts. They messed up big time. Could've gone 78 laps easily on supersofts. His pitstops were also 5.1 and 4.1 seconds long

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
BrunoH wrote:

Yep and the new MGU-K.
You're sure the new MGU-K is ready? I thought they were still having reliability issues on the dyno, with no fixed date of introduction.

Per
Per

Ground Effect wrote:
28 May 2018, 07:31
M840TR wrote:
It seems fairly obvious to me that Stoffel was instructed to hold up Verstappen, so Alonso could come out ahead of him. Vandoorne is Alonso's maid, people say he is slow but I actually think it's because he's getting very unfair treatment.

PhillipM
PhillipM

He's getting unfair treatment because he's slow.

Per
Per

PhillipM wrote:
28 May 2018, 09:58
He was quicker than Alonso all weekend until having to do qualifying with a gearbox problem...

makecry
makecry

Per wrote:
28 May 2018, 09:59
PhillipM wrote:
28 May 2018, 09:58
He was quicker than Alonso all weekend until having to do qualifying with a gearbox problem...
No where in the race. Not once was he asked to hold on the radio. I saw the whole race on F1tv onboards which has radios. McLaren live has a transcript as well.

Stoffel should have gone long like Hulk did and he would have finished a lot further. Stoffel also couldnt manage tires and had to pit early while others managed to do 50+ laps on those tires.