2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zeph

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Andres125sx wrote:
30 May 2018, 17:16
Will we watch a full race under SC because driving a F1 car around Monaco is dangerous? If F1 is too dangerous for Monaco (IMHO it is, we´ve been lucky to not see any car getting airbone, if that happens...) then remove the GP from the calendar, but going there to race well under the limits is against F1 spirit
It's not about the danger, I'm not even worried about that.

Unlike you, I do not find Monaco boring. Watching those cars fly around an impossibly archaic track with that incredibly scenic backdrop is a treat for me.

I'm not arguing that all races should be like Monaco. We have plenty of technical tracks with 50 ft. runoff zones. Let Monaco remain what it is, an outlier. F1 would not be the same without it.

Let's agree to disagree 8)

Wynters

maxxer wrote:
29 May 2018, 13:26
The problem with overtaking in F1 is also drivers not leaving space.
Now I read that sainz was actually not happy with the tyres his team put on his car so maybe thats why he was defending so aggressive.
Not that i am a verstappen fan but if a car is that much quicker then why keep defending that hard only leading to a collision.
At some point have to say ok time to give up the place.
Races in Le mans have different classes racing same time you dont see them fighting against a car which is clearly faster.
Because, on a track like Monaco, you might never be overtaken. Verstappen had to first force him off the track, then cut the chicane to get past him. Also, I suspect he was protecting his team mate a bit further down the road.

Wynters

turbof1 wrote:
29 May 2018, 10:10
In all honesty, no. It's not like they aren't able to take the corners, and overtaking was not hindered by the size as Verstappen duly showed.
I'm not sure how many cars Verstappen actually overtook on the track?

He got two off the start, I'd argue that was under unusual circumstances. Looking at James Allen's race graph and the F1 channel on Youtube, he takes five laps to get past Ericsson. Two more laps to get past a tyre-crippled Stroll who, like the first three, makes absolutely no effort to defend and pits immediately afterwards. He gets Leclerc (no effort to defend) on lap 14 (who also pits immediately) then spends 44 laps stuck behind people who are in cars 2+ Seconds a lap slower than him and over whom he holds the advantage of much, much, much fresher rubber. If it wasn't for Hartley backing the pack up (for entirely unrelated reasons, I'm sure ;) ) he wouldn't have been anywhere near the points.

Ericsson, a crippled Stroll, a crippled Leclerc and then the Sainz debacle does not suggest overtaking was unaffected, sadly. However, I agree there are much bigger issues than car width when it comes to Monaco.

Andres125sx

zeph wrote:
30 May 2018, 19:41
Andres125sx wrote:
30 May 2018, 17:16
Will we watch a full race under SC because driving a F1 car around Monaco is dangerous? If F1 is too dangerous for Monaco (IMHO it is, we´ve been lucky to not see any car getting airbone, if that happens...) then remove the GP from the calendar, but going there to race well under the limits is against F1 spirit
It's not about the danger, I'm not even worried about that.

Unlike you, I do not find Monaco boring. Watching those cars fly around an impossibly archaic track with that incredibly scenic backdrop is a treat for me.

I'm not arguing that all races should be like Monaco. We have plenty of technical tracks with 50 ft. runoff zones. Let Monaco remain what it is, an outlier. F1 would not be the same without it.

Let's agree to disagree 8)
Ok :)

zac510

If you complain about Tilke-tracks, then you should probably be careful about complaining about Monaco. If Monaco were dropped, we're probably going to get another Tilke-alike track to replace it. Although personally I'm hopeful Brawn may be able to take track design in a good direction while he's working on the cars.

bonjon1979

NathanOlder wrote:
30 May 2018, 00:07
bonjon1979 wrote:
29 May 2018, 11:13
He's been on the podium in every race this year and that consistency is what will win him the championship if it continues.
Apart from China :wink:
Oh yeh, forgot about that one!

Andres125sx

zac510 wrote:
31 May 2018, 10:50
If you complain about Tilke-tracks, then you should probably be careful about complaining about Monaco.
Not my case. Actually I´ve never understood Tilke critics. To me China, Malaysia, or specially Austin, are great tracks. Austin is one of my favourites right now with Suzuka and Spa :D

zac510

Turkey was pretty good too!

sosic2121

Andres125sx wrote:
31 May 2018, 16:37
zac510 wrote:
If you complain about Tilke-tracks, then you should probably be careful about complaining about Monaco.
Not my case. Actually I´ve never understood Tilke critics. To me China, Malaysia, or specially Austin, are great tracks. Austin is one of my favourites right now with Suzuka and Spa :D
I like Bahrain and Malesiya.
But Sochi, Abu Dhabi, Mexico S3, Hockenheim and A1(compared to original circuits)? Huge run off areas?

motobaleno

https://thesportsrush.com/ocon-suggests ... in-monaco/

I'm really puzzled.
the potential consequencies of this are enormous.
something like USA URSSS during the cold war if you understand what I mean...

Dazed1

motobaleno wrote:
31 May 2018, 19:52

I'm really puzzled.
the potential consequencies of this are enormous.
something like USA URSSS during the cold war if you understand what I mean...
I struggle to remember the last time a Ferrari was behind a Haas for longer than a few turns, either this season or last. The NBC broadcast team stated on more than a few occasions that the Ferrari powered Hass did not put up a fight to a team Ferrari car. ;)

Manoah2u

well that same goes and has been going on for many years with many teams.

force india doesn't put up a fight with mercedes.
williams doesn't put up a fight with mercedes.
haas doesn't with ferrari
alfa romeo sauber doesn't with ferrari
toro rosso doesn't put up a fight with redbull
when lotus had mercedes engines they didn't against mercedes
if sauber had renault engines they wouldn't against renault

and well, it can go on like that indefinately.

and then there's the drivers.

sainz won't put up a 'full' fight against dannyric or verstappen - let's be honest here, the battle between max and sainz @ monaco was not worthwile mentioning.
did sainz move for him? no. did he actually make a fight? no. did redbull actually do anything with sainz 'cutting' the chicane? no. did renault? no.

but let's be honest here guys, it's always been like that and will always be so - as long as there are teams being a customer from a works/manufacturer team.
and just as much, as long as there are 'junior programme' drivers or drivers 'borrowed/leant' to another team, there will be 'politics' like this.

Alguersuari is an example of what happens if you don't accept or listen.

is it fair? no not really. but hey, there's a lot not fair in this world. just deal with it.
if live gives you lemons, make lemonade.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Andres125sx

motobaleno wrote:
31 May 2018, 19:52

I'm really puzzled.
So when watching the move live at the race, you didn´t notice how blatantly Ocon coasted to let Lewis by?

But as stated, that´s not unique, STR has done that for many years with RBR, Sauber and Haas with Ferrari, Williams.... etc.

Only Renault does not provide that sort of orders, imagine if they ask Alonso to let Carlos pass :twisted: :wtf: :lol: :lol:

Andres125sx

sosic2121 wrote:
31 May 2018, 19:46
Andres125sx wrote:
31 May 2018, 16:37
zac510 wrote:
I like Bahrain and Malesiya.
But Sochi, Abu Dhabi, Mexico S3, Hockenheim and A1(compared to original circuits)? Huge run off areas?
What´s the problem with huge run-off areas?

Cars are faster each season, so they need bigger run-off areas. I don´t see what´s the point of keeping same size so cars crash with a barrier when out of control. I´m against full tarmac run-off areas because then they can use them for purposes wich are not the purpose of a run-off area (I´d add 2m wide grass just after the track, so if they go wide they´ll spin, or at least loose the line significantly, ie mistakes brings penalties), but the size only add safety, wich is good

miguelalvesreis

Andres125sx wrote:
zac510 wrote:
Tavo Hellmund is the creator of the Circuit Layout. Tilke was a Consultant for the implementation of the basic design.
Tavo claims that the basic design was created in a napkin

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk