2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
makecry

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 02:20
PhillipM wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 20:37
Nothing, but then they might be able to solve their tyre/suspension issues without noticable new parts, larger/more sensitive pistons in the dampers, etc.
And they don't have to worry about not being able to switch the hypersofts on properly for qualifying either.

I only hear bits and pieces so I can't comment on anything bar there's some new BB parts.
The Hopefulls are blaming the suspension for their own comfort. I say Suspension problems are just too easy to solve mathematically for these big teams. You know what is hard to solve mathematically though? Yup. You guessed it. Shoddy aerodynamic correlation!
Hell, blaming it on suspensions is so easy when a Niagara falls of dodgy data chokes the database and things are too advanced to start over. McLaren know they messed up royally. The car was supposed to be within half a second of RedBull remember? Yes we are told (ask stoffel ;-) ) the aero balance is great and all. That means something's working right. But no Mclaren boss is talking about the piss poor downforce to drag ratio. Someone screwed up. Tim Goss took the fall. But he aint the head of aero. Peter Prodromu is. But guess what. Pete is zak's star signing.. Can't fire that guy without losing credibility.
Uhh. That's just plain bs. Peter Prod has been at McLaren since before Zak was even in the picture. TBH, I dont think he is the problem anyway.

max_speed

i made right decision by not watching the race. as much i followed the weekend looked like they lost most of time in sector 2 so looks like accelerating out of slow corners is their Achilles heal.
as a fan i am furious because management keeps selling BS to their Fan. we all know Alonso is the man sitting between Mclaren and utter embarrassment. you pull him out of team and they gonna match williams soon. 1/3 season is gone . promised updates have come and go and promised "Big step" has not come. i agree with "Platinum", Peter is not an alternative to Newey. he has no where to hide after honda is gone.

Ground Effect

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 02:20
PhillipM wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 20:37
Nothing, but then they might be able to solve their tyre/suspension issues without noticable new parts, larger/more sensitive pistons in the dampers, etc.
And they don't have to worry about not being able to switch the hypersofts on properly for qualifying either.

I only hear bits and pieces so I can't comment on anything bar there's some new BB parts.
The Hopefulls are blaming the suspension for their own comfort. I say Suspension problems are just too easy to solve mathematically for these big teams. You know what is hard to solve mathematically though? Yup. You guessed it. Shoddy aerodynamic correlation!
Hell, blaming it on suspensions is so easy when a Niagara falls of dodgy data chokes the database and things are too advanced to start over. McLaren know they messed up royally. The car was supposed to be within half a second of RedBull remember? Yes we are told (ask stoffel ;-) ) the aero balance is great and all. That means something's working right. But no Mclaren boss is talking about the piss poor downforce to drag ratio. Someone screwed up. Tim Goss took the fall. But he aint the head of aero. Peter Prodromu is. But guess what. Pete is zak's star signing.. Can't fire that guy without losing credibility.
I can't comment on the technical aspects of your comments, but it makes zero sense firing Tim Goss for Prodromou's "mistakes", especially somebody who's as prominent and long serving as Tim Goss. Also, Zak didn't hire Prodromou, he rejoined Mclaren in September 2014. So at least some parts of your argument is inaccurate.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

max_speed wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 04:08
i made right decision by not watching the race. as much i followed the weekend looked like they lost most of time in sector 2 so looks like accelerating out of slow corners is their Achilles heal.
as a fan i am furious because management keeps selling BS to their Fan. we all know Alonso is the man sitting between Mclaren and utter embarrassment. you pull him out of team and they gonna match williams soon. 1/3 season is gone . promised updates have come and go and promised "Big step" has not come. i agree with "Platinum", Peter is not an alternative to Newey. he has no where to hide after honda is gone.
They lost 0.6 in sec 1 & 2 and 0.8 in 3

mclaren111

Jacinto wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 18:03
godlameroso wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 18:01
!Technical wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 15:07
Despite all the issues, I'm quite positive that Alonso will be able to get a podium in the next race. Actually, he is in with a good chance to win. =)
New development? :wtf:
Alonso next race is 24 Hours of Le Mans
Why is it in the Mclaren Team tread ?? :o :o

M840TR

Now everyone's after Peter Prodomou for no reason but speculative finger pointing. The reality is the engine and few other design changes hit them harder than anticipated. It'l take time but will be fixed. No one is immune to mistakes; Newey's design team messed up in 2004 too but came back strong late in the season and the next one.

Thunder

mclaren111 wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:31
Jacinto wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 18:01

New development? :wtf:
Well it's about the McLaren Driver Fernando Alonso. I think it's ok to scratch his WEC Journey roughly, as long as we're not Discussing the Races or the Car in here.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

GoranF1

What kind of track is Paul Ricard?
What corners?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Benii6

GoranF1 wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 11:00
What corners?
Left and right

mclaren111

Thunder wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:36
mclaren111 wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:31
Jacinto wrote:

Well it's about the McLaren Driver Fernando Alonso. I think it's ok to scratch his WEC Journey roughly, as long as we're not Discussing the Races or the Car in here.
No problem :D :D

M840TR

GoranF1 wrote:
What corners?
Mid-low speed and long straights

Fulcrum

GoranF1 wrote:
What corners?
Mostly 3rd gear corners in the region of 130 - 150 kph.

There's 1 corner a bit like 130R (Courbe de Signes), albeit a right-hander, that leads almost immediately into a close cousin of the Spoon curve.

techman

i think high downforce setup is necesarry here, even though it has some straights

techman

i quite agree that without alonso mclaren will be struggling . alonso is getting the best of the car currently. the true performance is probably vandornes pace. mclaren lucky they have alonso and yes peter is not in newey level

adrianjordan

You need to understand basic physics. Alonso may be a great driver, but he cannot make a car go after than it is capable of going. Therefore the true pace of the car is the pace that Alonso gets out of it.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️