2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

nevill3 wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 23:26
I understand the anomaly too, but I think it is a compromise they would be willing to accept considering they should allegedly benefit from up to $150 million next year from keeping the historical payments earned by SFI due to the other teams agreeing they could.
They can still earn points this year too. A good weekend in Spa and they will be in front of Williams already. They could easily get more points in the second half than they did in the first half.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 23:51
nevill3 wrote:
I understand the anomaly too, but I think it is a compromise they would be willing to accept considering they should allegedly benefit from up to $150 million next year from keeping the historical payments earned by SFI due to the other teams agreeing they could.
They can still earn points this year too. A good weekend in Spa and they will be in front of Williams already. They could easily get more points in the second half than they did in the first half.
Especially with new funds = upgraded parts.

holeindalip

Zynerji wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 04:31
Big Tea wrote:
nevill3 wrote:
Especially with new funds = upgraded parts.

FI was punching way above its weight, now they'll have an influx of cash flow...... really looking forward to seeing what they can accomplish this year and the forthcoming years

kptaylor

Big Tea wrote:
nevill3 wrote:
Brings up a good point. Move Lance from Williams now or leave the (arguably) better drivers in place to maximize the points haul in 2018 to ensure better funding going forward?

bill shoe

OK, I'm giving notice. I'm officially throwing my hat in the ring as a Lance hater. I could tolerate him as a pay-driver when Williams had to make tough decisions and do what they had to do. But cr@p now Lance's dad buys an entire F1 team just to ensure Lance has a ride? This goes way beyond pay-driver territory.

This is an unprecedented level of helicopter-parenting that has never previously occurred in human history! Seriously! Why didn't Dad just buy the Yankees so Lance could play shortstop?

OK, I think I will have plenty of hating nourishment over the next few years. Buckle up...

Zynerji

I mean, Lance does have a podium to his credit... He isn't completely awful.

Big Tea

bill shoe wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 04:12
OK, I'm giving notice. I'm officially throwing my hat in the ring as a Lance hater. I could tolerate him as a pay-driver when Williams had to make tough decisions and do what they had to do. But cr@p now Lance's dad buys an entire F1 team just to ensure Lance has a ride? This goes way beyond pay-driver territory.

This is an unprecedented level of helicopter-parenting that has never previously occurred in human history! Seriously! Why didn't Dad just buy the Yankees so Lance could play shortstop?

OK, I think I will have plenty of hating nourishment over the next few years. Buckle up...
But it does mean FI survive. This above all.
There are tales of other byers, but there always are, and how many actually come through?
Who ever bought in would have wanted their own driver, and to be fair to Lance, he has the worse car in the field and only his team mate to compare him against. I think he did come to F1 too soon, but he is here now, so see how he does. He has been better than I expected, but heat is not high praise
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

multisync

bill shoe wrote:

You need to have a word with yourself

Hating at this level is a rather backward childish emotion. What someone does or doesn't do for their child really isn't your concern and unless if directly affects you or you have no life of your own it's something that should pass you by.
I rather doubt his backer friends are assisting the bank rolling just for his son. These are hard nosed businessmen who don't go for flights of fancy so they see it as a business opportunity.

If he does get the drive but isn't up to it then who cares, I mean, really who cares...?

roon

Nice to see them carry over their very good quali results. A great way for them to spend the weekend amid all the turmoil.

bill shoe wrote:
I could tolerate him as a pay-driver when Williams had to make tough decisions and do what they had to do. But cr@p now Lance's dad buys an entire F1 team just to ensure Lance has a ride? This goes way beyond pay-driver territory.

The press conference was awkward.

https://youtu.be/4n6maLyOcK4

RAF
RAF

Dad stroll has been in f1 a long time in one way or another. He's an f1 fan. I don't think he's doing it just for his son.

Squid

RAF wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:04
Dad stroll has been in f1 a long time in one way or another. He's an f1 fan. I don't think he's doing it just for his son.
A lot can be said about the Strolls, but Lawrence is a genuine petrolhead. He owns a huge vintage Ferrari collection, and he actually races those Ferraris around his track, a track which he bought before his son stopped wearing diapers. He genuinely loves the sport.

Lance is very much a trophy child for Lawrence.

Espresso

A litlle French conversation....
Source: https://twitter.com/VanGamerenF1/status ... 2013853697

Vettel: Next year? Still nothing?
Ocon: No.
Vettel: Will you be here [at Force India]? No?
Ocon: No, no. The seat is taken.
Vettel: Oh yeah? Who?
Ocon: Have a guess - the one who bought it!
Vettel: Yes, but the other one?
Ocon: Well, the other one [Sergio Perez] brings money.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

rscsr

Espresso wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 12:18
A litlle French conversation....
Source: https://twitter.com/VanGamerenF1/status ... 2013853697

Vettel: Next year? Still nothing?
Ocon: No.
Vettel: Will you be here [at Force India]? No?
Ocon: No, no. The seat is taken.
Vettel: Oh yeah? Who?
Ocon: Have a guess - the one who bought it!
Vettel: Yes, but the other one?
Ocon: Well, the other one [Sergio Perez] brings money.
I don't think that Perez is a classic paydriver. Yes he brings money, but he also is quite quick. And he even has more points than Ocon this season.

IamLegend

bill shoe wrote:

I concur, the reason this team was/is punching above it's weight was because the management's mantra that they wouldn't compromise with talent. Now you can kiss that bye bye.

Raleigh

IMO Force India has been doing so well because they make very good use of the money they have, for example other midfield teams come out with a new car every year which is very expensive, where Force India puts their resources into developing the same car over a 2 year period, producing a very matured and highly developed racecar. They also make excellent use of outsourcing component production where possible which is cheaper than maintaining these manufacturing facilities inhouse.

That doesn't necessarily change with new ownership.